Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 10:41:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSANTRIA! A quirky 2D-JRPG inspired by Earthbound and Twin Peaks
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: SANTRIA! A quirky 2D-JRPG inspired by Earthbound and Twin Peaks  (Read 14879 times)
Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »

Engine: Game Maker: Studio
About:
Hello everyone! My name is Schotti, a chemist by day and an indie game developer at night. I want to present you my pet project, which I am developing since mid 2015. Tigsource is one of my favorite indie games sources with all of these fantastic devlogs to read. It's time to give something back to the community!  Beer!

SANTRIA! is a light-hearted, turn-based JRPG with a strong focus on exploration and character interaction. This coming-of-age story is inspired by Earthbound and the mysterious atmosphere/setting of Twin Peak with a flavor of X-Files. Pine Falls is a small town with numerous quirky characters you can socialize and romance with. Incidentally, you discover a conspiracy during your everyday school life, resulting in the awakening of your psychic abilities.

Ok, let's see some screenshots!

The start menu of SANTRIA! The save/load system is working quiet well.

A walk through Pine Falls with your friends... wait, a cat? Soon you'll understand. Some details like flowers and trees are still missing.

A sneek peek of the turn-based combat system. Beware of the trucker snakes!

SANTRIA!'s game menu, opened in front of the Pine Falls cinema!

I hope I could get your attention and convince you to follow my devlog. Leave some comments if you feel like it. Here is my twitter for more frequent updates. Thank you and stay tuned!
Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 06:17:58 PM »

Hello everyone! It's time for a small devlog entry!  Coffee

I included a name registration into the game. The player can rename the three mainheroes and has to name his/her favorite music gerne and food. Works flawlessly!  Smiley A gif is worth a thousand words, so:

Another big chunk of work was the load/save-system. It's finally complete and you can save your game using the red phone boxes... obvious, right?  Tongue

Currently, I'm working on some pixel art environments and details to achieve a more living world. Here's a sneak peek of the bus stop, the fast travel option ingame.

Leave some comments if you feel like it. I am very interested in your opinion. Here is my twitter for more frequent updates. Thank you and stay tuned!
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »

The world needs more Twin Peaks inspired games.

I like your restricted color palette so far, very cool.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »

Very nice! Following Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 01:10:45 AM »

Liking the pixelart!
Is the UI stuff inspired by Nitrome games? I noticed they use 'downwards extruded' UI elements, which I haven't really seen anywhere else.

Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 04:50:48 AM »

Thank you so much for your feedback!

The world needs more Twin Peaks inspired games.

I like your restricted color palette so far, very cool.

Totally agree with you about Twin Peaks! I'm using the DawnBringer DB32 palette, a brilliant piece of work! I can't recommend it highly enough and discovered it using Aseprite!  Smiley

Very nice! Following Smiley
Gentleman

Liking the pixelart!
Is the UI stuff inspired by Nitrome games? I noticed they use 'downwards extruded' UI elements, which I haven't really seen anywhere else.

Thank you! I want to maintain a curtain pixel coherence and this is the minimum size for this font to achieve readable text at a 320x240 resolution. Turns out to be pretty big but I like it Smiley Unfortunately I have to admit that I haven't heard of Nitrome games, can you suggest a game I can look at?
de11ed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 06:37:31 AM »

Oh wow! Really beautiful art you got there! I love it! And thanks for the link to the palette, it's gorgeous!

What language are you using when developing this?

composer • producer • songwriter • human
Website | Twitter | Soundcloud
Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 11:54:05 AM »

Oh wow! Really beautiful art you got there! I love it! And thanks for the link to the palette, it's gorgeous!

What language are you using when developing this?
Thank you for your encouragement! I use the Game Maker Language (GML) of Game Maker: Studio, a quite powerful and easy-to-use engine for 2D games. The game will be available in English and German!  Beer!
Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »

Is that character a cat?  That's awesome!

This game looks awesome so far!  I agree with what was said about your restricted color palette.  Gives the game a nice look.  Also, saving by phone booth.  That's just cool!

Anyway, keep it up.  I look forward to seeing where you go with this.

Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 06:14:24 PM »

Hi TIGsource!

I put a lot of effort into the new sea location and I would like to show you the results! Additionally, you can see some animations of a new fishing minigame in development. I'll tell you more soon!

Leave some comments if you feel like it. I am very interested in your opinion. Here is my twitter for more frequent updates. Thank you and stay tuned!
Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 03:36:16 PM »

Hi TIGsource!

I finished my new fishing minigame after some iterations. Check out this gif!

First, you need to press the enter key for some time to activate the fishing minigame. I want to avoid undesired minigame activations and increase the immersion. After that a quick-time event will begin and you try to hit the middle of the bar. The cursor speed depends on your fishing skill. This event is without a time limit because I want to achieve an fishing experience without frustration. Finally, you loot your items in dependence of your fishing skill and the sucess of the quick-time event. What do you think about my concept, TIGsource?

My next steps:
1. Creating an arcade hall for more minigames!
2. Creating an cave tileset for some spocky exploration stuff!

Leave some comments/feedback if you feel like it. I am very interested in your opinion. Here is my twitter for more frequent updates. Thank you and stay tuned!
BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 03:48:56 PM »

This is all super charming

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 03:11:54 AM »

Looks super cute and charming, and totally gives of that Earthbound vibe.
About your recent question about a Nitrome game to look at, I personally can't recommend Steamlands enough. http://www.nitrome.com/games/steamlands/#.VwD5yIdLqq4
Their games have many different styles, but this one in particular is a steampunk tank controlling game with customization and an emphasis on strategy. It may not have these UI elements though, but just look around on their website, they have plenty of fun stuff to look at.  Smiley

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
nickgravelyn
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 08:32:57 AM »

Just wanted to say that this is a super neat looking game. I have fond memories of renting Earthbound in its huge box from Blockbuster and trying to get as far as I could before having to return it. Can't wait to play Santria.

Coffee
Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »

This is all super charming
Thank you!  Smiley

Looks super cute and charming, and totally gives of that Earthbound vibe.
About your recent question about a Nitrome game to look at, I personally can't recommend Steamlands enough. http://www.nitrome.com/games/steamlands/#.VwD5yIdLqq4
Their games have many different styles, but this one in particular is a steampunk tank controlling game with customization and an emphasis on strategy. It may not have these UI elements though, but just look around on their website, they have plenty of fun stuff to look at.  Smiley
A great source of well-crafted games, thank you! Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right I had tons of fun!

Just wanted to say that this is a super neat looking game. I have fond memories of renting Earthbound in its huge box from Blockbuster and trying to get as far as I could before having to return it. Can't wait to play Santria.

Coffee
Thank you for sharing this memory! This motivates me a lot!

Ok, let's share some progress! Enjoy!

Devlog #5 - Decorator stuff!
I designed some interiors this week, a very satisfying and relaxing work. The first location is a classic american diner of the 1950er. The diners in Twin Peaks, Life is Strange and Pulp Fiction were great influences in the design.

The next location is an arcade with some arcade machines, a pinball machine and a pool table. I'm looking forward to design the minigames in this room! Yeah!

The last location this week is a beatnik jazz club! I enjoyed the creation process a lot and tried to achieve a shrill aesthetic. Do you feel the Earthbound vibe in this underground club?

That's all for SANTRIA this week! I hope you enjoyed this devlog entry! Leave some comments/feedback if you feel like it. I am very interested in your opinion. Here is my twitter for more frequent updates. Thank you and stay tuned!
Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 07:58:22 AM »

DEVLOG #6 - EAT & SLEEP

Hi Tigsource! It's time for a new update! I worked on my city map and added some new locations like the Pine Falls motel and the exterior of the previous presented american diner. The United States in the 1950s is a big inspiration for my pixel style! Please, enjoy some fresh gifs! You can see the new leaf particles in action!  Coffee

The american indian influence is unmissable. You can find some indian occult places in the woods nearby. I like little and mysterious secrets like this, stay tuned for more informations!

That's all for SANTRIA this week! I hope you enjoyed this devlog entry! Leave some comments/feedback if you feel like it. I am very interested in your opinion. Here is my twitter for more frequent updates.
NineTattooedDragons
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 08:54:18 AM »

This looks really good. Earthbound was one of the first RPGs I ever played, and I have fond memories of it.

I love the style also. It has almost a cell-shaded look to it.

ShuyanSaga.com/
Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 06:19:18 AM »

DEVLOG #7 - Graphical improvements, shmup minigame and mystery cave!

Hi tigsource!

Well, quite some time has passed since the last update. Let's start with some recent updates:

Yesterday, I finished the mystery cave-tileset and implemented some lighting and particle effects. Please, take a look and enjoy! This cave is an important ceremonial place of a lost ancient culture with surprisingly advanced technology.

I improved the tilesets a lot in the past weeks, including the kitchen and living room of the protagonist. The target atmosphere is something like "Cabin in the Woods", rustic and natural. Please, compare the old graphics (a) with the new ones (b)!  Smiley

The last important update is a shmup minigame for the SANTRIA! arcade. I developed it during a little one week gamejam.

That's all for SANTRIA this time! I hope you enjoyed this devlog entry! Leave some comments/feedback if you feel like it. I am very interested in your opinion. Here is my twitter for more frequent updates.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 07:52:32 AM »

This is looking really great!   Coffee

Schotti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 11:38:18 AM »

This is looking really great!   Coffee
Thank you so much! I hope, you enjoy this devlog!  Coffee

This week, I worked on a minigame illustrating teeth brushing. Implementation of minigames is one design philosophy in SANTRIA! to improve questing and make it more diversified! I hope you notice all the small little details I put into this scene!

That's all for SANTRIA this week! I hope you enjoyed this little insight! Leave some comments/feedback if you feel like it.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic