Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:06:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsMightier @ GDC09: A lack of dongs, tits.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mightier @ GDC09: A lack of dongs, tits.  (Read 5203 times)
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »

Hey everybody. We just got back from San Fran and I thought to post a few words about the experience.

Setting up
Mightier was an interesting game to show in this kind of setting. It's designed to be played using a printer and a webcam, but we realized pretty early on that printing the puzzles for each person who wanted to play at GDC would take too long. Our first idea was to go to Kinkos and pre-print 50 or so pages for each puzzle and 100 copies of each character page. Printing stuff on their color laser is expensive though, and we didn't really want to spend a ton of money on it (fuckin indie!). Through sheer luck, we laid eyes on a laminating machine and got the idea to print 2 copies of each page, then laminate them. Once laminated, you can repeatedly draw and erase using a dry-erase marker. This worked out really well on the show floor. People could easily correct any mistakes and we just needed to wipe them down between visitors.

The pitch
As a concept, Mightier is unquestionably confusing. You need to print stuff out, use a web camera, draw characters, solve puzzles, etc. When you sit down to play the game at home, the concepts are introduced slowly with pictures and text. We knew this wasn't gonna work on the show floor. After the first few visitors, we came up with a relatively simple pitch that started with drawing the Actionaut, seeing him run around, then walking the player through solving the first puzzle, activating the laser, and collecting the datagons. Then, we'd explain how the puzzles got harder and how the game progressed. From that point, most players wanted to solve some of the more difficult puzzles. Nobody had any trouble understanding the concept after seeing it in action for the first level. One brainiac skipped ahead to puzzle 14 (there are 15 puzzles in the game) and beat it after a few minutes.

The peeps
People were very receptive to Mightier. Most passers-by don't want to get sucked into a boring game when something obviously fun like Carneyvale or Musaic Box is a one booth away, so there was some initial apprehension. I would usually wrangle people with a "hey, wanna play?" if I thought they looked interested. A few people were immediately excited to draw the Actionaut, but others were too cool for school. Almost always though, when they saw their drawing pop up in 3d and run around, a huge grin would stretch across their face and their eyes would widen like they'd just seen something magical. This happened with hardened old men and hot young chicks and was one of the most rewarding parts of the whole experience for us.

The solutions
A cool thing about Mightier is that the puzzles can be solved in multiple ways. We designed them for a certain solution, but very often, someone would draw a series of platforms we never expected but that worked beautifully. As an example, in sector 3, we intended players to circle one crystal and one datagon each to make 5 wide platforms. Most players did this, but some went crazy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36956340@N08/sets/72157616016388963/

The characters
Ok, we predicted tits and dongs. We predicted lots of tits, and lots of dongs. We were wrong. We got a few pecks, but zero nipples. On the last day in the afternoon, one brave Australian fellow drew the Actionaut with a very modest schlong. I'm guessing we'd see fewer prudes and more rudes at PAX, but this was GDC. Most people were probably a little self conscious drawing stuff that everyone could see. The crowd was mostly technically oriented and drew pretty simple characters. There were a few real artists though, including one guy from Argentina that drew a kickin rad tigernaut:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36956340@N08/sets/72157616016742395/

The ceremony
This was our first awards ceremony in any context. It was a fairly interesting show and we were sharing a table with Peter Molyneux from Lionhead. For the IGF awards, there was a nice mix of rockstar and humbleton developers making speeches. It was really strange seeing PixelJunk Eden up for both an IGF award and a Choice award. Considering we didn't win anything, the highlights of the show for us were the Mega64 shorts.

The convention
One of the cruel ironies of getting nominated for the IGF is that you get an All Access pass for GDC (worth something like $2200) but you have to man your booth for the bulk of the show. There were a lot of sessions we wanted to attend, but only managed 30 minute lunches each day and one session on Thursday. We were lucky to be two people though; Keiko and I could switch off to take a small break or use the bathroom. I felt bad for the guys who came alone and had to do everything themselves.

The IGF
Showing the game all day is tiring, but it flies by. We would arrive at 9:30AM to set things up, take a 30 minute lunch around 1:30, and close things up at 6:00. There were only a few opportunities to actually check out the other IGF games. We both played 24 caret's Retro/Grade, which was great fun and I can't figure out how they're not signed yet. Keiko got to play Musaic Box, which is extremely polished and very engaging. Alexander at KranX definitely deserved the design win with that game.

Misc
Keiko and I printed 50 business cards each. This wasn't enough. All my cards were gone on the 2nd day and I had to write my name on the back of Keiko's cards.

Ok, that was longer than I expected. Three cheers for anybody who read it all. As a reward, here's the lone dongonaut:

- Lucas

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:51:22 PM »

LOL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36956340@N08/3397660346/in/set-72157616016742395/

what idiot would draw that?
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 08:55:24 PM »

Haha cool, I didn't know you saved all characters. Here's mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36956340@N08/3396849161/in/set-72157616016742395/

You can see me playing here:

(at 01:15 ... sorry for not editing out the bug you were talking about... I couldn't find it)

Fuzz
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »

Did Edmund play?
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:39:20 PM »

Hey! I did this one!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36956340@N08/3397662540/in/set-72157616016742395/

Awesome game guys!

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »

Great post, nice one. We had the same problem of kiosk-manning-mania and I couldn't check out most of the games, including Mightier which I've always found fascinating. I'd like to read more post mortems like this and may do one myself or force Rudolf to do it.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »

Arrgh, yeah man, I never got to check out any booths except for the ones right next to me, or the ones that were set up before the expo hall opened.  I didn't want to miss any cool media people stopping by my booth or any potential awesome people.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »

yea, like FUMITO FUCKING UEDA

i still have a boner from that

cup full of magic charisma
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:02 AM »

Great post, nice one. We had the same problem of kiosk-manning-mania and I couldn't check out most of the games, including Mightier which I've always found fascinating. I'd like to read more post mortems like this and may do one myself or force Rudolf to do it.

I will do one if you don't moan about my spulling.
(swidt?)

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 02:28:05 AM »

Hideo Kojima was around too. Both of them skipped our game.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »

I didn't get a chance to play Mightier at GDC, but I enjoyed the version you posted here earlier. I love the way you cataloged all the art people made at the show.

They missed out!
havchr
Level 2

gaming, coding, experimenting photo science party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:21:18 PM »

I played it, but I didn't have enough time to play anything properly Sad
I loved your setup with laminated paper. worked great.
One of the things I regret at GDC was that I didn't spend enough time playing all the IGF games.

Pizza is delicious.
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »

Actionauts in 3d!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36956340@N08/sets/72157616203244644/

Thanks for all the comments, and thanks to anyone who came by to play the game. We weren't planning to do much more with Mightier before GDC, but the great response has convinced us to try to take it further.

c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 10:04:05 PM »

He would have stopped by if you used more TECHNOLOGY. Because, as we all know, you make games based around TECHNOLOGY. And you use DESIGN to fix what TECHNOLOGY can't achieve.

Also cutscenes.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic