Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:15:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit Competition"Wagon game" [sort of finished]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Wagon game" [sort of finished]  (Read 14224 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:06:48 PM »

http://www.l-ames.com/logan/wagon-game.zip

Yeah, there's my "game".
I'm afraid I didn't get very far, but you can kind of see the direction it's headed.

There's no tutorial, so unless you like bumbling around the interface (I dunno, I guess you might), you should probably read the instructions.

So here they are, from the readme:

Use the mouse to look around;
Left Mouse Button will pick up an object,
Right Mouse Button will set it back down.

Use WASD to move;
A and D will steer the wagon from side to side
W will speed up,
and S will slow down.

Press SPACE to switch between
the front seat, where you steer and shoot,
and inside the wagon, where you create charms to use as weapons.

While inside the wagon, you can pick up any magical stones that you have collected,
and place them in the small recess on the table to create a charm.
The left-most spot is for the charm's main element,
while the other two spots will augment it.

There are four elements:
Fire will shoot slowly, and explode upon hitting something,
Thunder will instantly strike any enemy you point at,
Ice will shoot many small shots at once,
And Light will fire a powererful beam right through obstacles.

Once you've placed at least one magical stone,
touch the green disc on the left of the recess to create the charm.

You can then pick up the charm
And pass it through the window on the left.

While on the front seat, you can pick up the charms that you have made,
and mount them to the sides of the wagon.
There are two spots to mount charms:
One on the left and one on the right.
Just put the charm on the horns to mount it.

You can fire a mounted weapon with the mouse,
The Left and Right mouse buttons fire the Left and Right charms.

When a charm has run out of magic, it will turn grey.
You can place another charm on top of it to replace it.

---- Original Post ----

Last minute entry rush, GO!

I don't know if I'll make it in time; I barely have anything right now (my idea is kinda shakey, I don't have much of the actual cockpit done... pretty much all I have is sprite-scaled trees), but I'm gonna give it a shot.

...Anyway, it's supposed to be about this small nomadic family (husband, wife, and maybe a kid) in a wagon, where the wife creates "charms" that the husband can mount to the wagon as weapons (not that you can tell any of that from the screenshot there).  I don't know if that's how it'll end up (if it ends up at all) as I'm kinda having trouble fitting the idea into something fun, but that's what I've got.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:21:59 PM by Fifth » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:29:06 PM »

Go go go! Hand Shake Left Grin Hand Shake Right

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:52:20 AM »

Love the graphic style Kiss

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:40:28 AM »

Grand Theft Wagon. (Also known as a creative re-interpretation of Oregon Trail)

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:43:23 AM »

That is awesome looking. For some reason it reminds me of Dwarf Fortress. Like this is what a first person DF should be like.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:19:03 PM »

...And this is as far as I got!

I wish I had started earlier, but at least there's something.
All the info's in the first post there.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 01:30:14 PM »

No comments on this? I really enjoyed it! I spent a lot longer than I was expecting to on just experimenting with combinations of stones; I was trying to create an ice rod with two fire augments, but all the fire stones dried up! It would have been so awesome.

Anyway, as usual, I really like your graphical style, and the gameplay has some really neat touches (I have to admit, I'm a sucker for power-up systems, so this and your previous two competition entries, Mujakwi and From Primordial Egg, have all struck a chord with me). It's a shame you didn't have time to go a bit further with it, but I have a feeling I'll be voting for this, anyway.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »

something fun? this is something fun. even without sound I've been playing this for about 10-15 minutes just to see what's coming next and playing with the spells.

I love your graphical style (those trees are fantastic) and the detail you've got going in this game.

care to finish it?

homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »

With some clever level design, this could be a quirky team play game. One player drives the cart and shoots, while yelling to the other player what weapons he needs concocted. The other player has to make the weapons and pass them through the window. Maybe they also have to balance the lab equipment that is rattling around or something.

I think you really came through making a wagon into a cockpit game.   Gentleman
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »

Like this is what a first person DF should be like.

definitely. It has that handcrafted yet procedurally generated feel. I love it! Both the art and the general concept. It's like an extra scene from a Miyazaki movie.

I love the enemies that come in waves and that take cover in the distant hills. Also the scary faces are indeed scary.

Sometimes it was hard to tell visually that a charm was really firing...maybe sounds would help?  Beg
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 09:12:32 PM »

You do it again Fifth. Smiley Despite the lack of sounds this is actually pretty impressive, especially with how quickly you made it.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:19:37 PM »

Hey, thanks.  I know the final product didn't end up too remarkable, but I'm glad you guys liked what's there.

Anyway, as usual, I really like your graphical style, and the gameplay has some really neat touches (I have to admit, I'm a sucker for power-up systems, so this and your previous two competition entries, Mujakwi and From Primordial Egg, have all struck a chord with me). It's a shame you didn't have time to go a bit further with it, but I have a feeling I'll be voting for this, anyway.

Heheh, I'm quite fond of powerup systems that allow players to use different tactics, but it's a difficult thing to get right.  I was hoping to get this system a little more balance and depth... alas.
But thanks...!

something fun? this is something fun. even without sound I've been playing this for about 10-15 minutes just to see what's coming next and playing with the spells.

I love your graphical style (those trees are fantastic) and the detail you've got going in this game.

care to finish it?

I'm glad you enjoyed what was there, even if it isn't really much of a game.
The graphics were really the biggest holdup.  They ended up quite different than I'd planned, but I'm glad it came together well enough (I am fairly pleased with how the trees turned out).
Finish it?  Hmm... I'll have to think about that.

With some clever level design, this could be a quirky team play game. One player drives the cart and shoots, while yelling to the other player what weapons he needs concocted. The other player has to make the weapons and pass them through the window. Maybe they also have to balance the lab equipment that is rattling around or something.

Heh, the thought of multiplayer did cross my mind.  Both roles would need to be more comprehensive, of course...  But even then, I'm not really sure how I'd approach the task.

Like this is what a first person DF should be like.

definitely. It has that handcrafted yet procedurally generated feel. I love it! Both the art and the general concept. It's like an extra scene from a Miyazaki movie.

I love the enemies that come in waves and that take cover in the distant hills. Also the scary faces are indeed scary.

Sometimes it was hard to tell visually that a charm was really firing...maybe sounds would help?  Beg

Aw, the art here is really nothing extraordinary.  It's just sprite scaling and tile-based graphics, all I really know.

I do wish I had gotten to sounds, at least.  They make things feel so much more solid.
It's a little late for an update, though.

You do it again Fifth. Smiley Despite the lack of sounds this is actually pretty impressive, especially with how quickly you made it.

And, of crouse, thanks, Melly!
I'll try to get an earlier start next time, and hopefully end up with a little more than this proof-of-concept.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 09:19:09 PM »

I really really love how this game looks and the mechanics of making stuff in the wagon. There is something of Magic Carpet and Daggerfall in this and it brings back alot of fond memories.

I like how you have to manually pass the stuff through the window and mount it, and overall I just think this is a completely gorgeous game.

I think the movement is a bit slow. I know you're in a wagon and you're not supposed to be racing around like mad, but I think it can stand to be a little bit faster.

Anyway, I hope you expand on this because it has the potential to be something really special.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »

Hard game to get started on. Spend some time on UI and tutorials and you'd have a GREAT game.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 01:35:02 AM »

I'd love to see this grow as well. The basic elements are great (handling the runes and charms feels really good, amazingly solid and tactile considering it's just scaling and rotating sprites). It reminds me of several Amiga games (some from Psygnosis, some from a French developer) which mixed strategy phases with action missions - add some RPG-lite stuff (e.g. basic story, world map, currency, shops, and maybe wagon upgrades) and I think you could have a real winner.

Thinking about it, the coolest wagon upgrade would be getting bigger and more impressive fantasy beasties to pull your wagon. Start with a donkey and cart, end up raining death from a sleigh pulled by dragons!
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »

It reminds me of several Amiga games (some from Psygnosis, some from a French developer) which mixed strategy phases with action missions

Yes, now you mention it, this reminds me of Silmarils' Ishar series; graphically at least.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 02:51:17 PM »

Awesome, love the graphic style and the retro vibe.
The game would have deserved more time for a better treatment, you should keep working on it.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 06:10:18 AM »

Please keep working on this. I think this game is, like, on the edge of a precipice of awesome! You only need to push it a little further and it will fall. Into greatness.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 08:34:57 PM »

What I want Fifth to work on is "Nothing". Tongue

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »

Heh, funny you should say that...

I recently got some random motivation to work on "Nothing", and have been doing so for this past while.  I hope I can get something significant done before this capricious state evades me.

It would be nice to get back to this wagon game at some point and make something out of it, but that's for another mood.

But thank you all the same!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic