Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:48:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionMy cockpit is bigger than yours. [Finished]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: My cockpit is bigger than yours. [Finished]  (Read 16898 times)
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »

Surprise entry!

My cockpit is bigger than yours
---

Presented in VOMIT-O-VISION
(It makes slightly more sense in motion)

As a data miner, you are sent to the mysterious and unexplained structure anomaly with the objective of recovering the few priceless data voxels that lie within it.
Your trusty sonar will help you locate the voxels, which are easily recognizable among the debris by their flashing pattern.

Download here!

Controls:
- Use the arrow keys to rotate your craft.
- Use the 'W' and 'S' keys to control thrust.
- Go really fast and crash into something to experience the FULLY DESTRUCTIBLE ENVIRONMENT!.

Gentleman So here's my (possibly late?) entry to the cockpit compo!
I'm only posting now because I started working on it pretty late and I wanted to make sure that I would have something done before posting anything...
I'd like to know what people think!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:39:19 AM by Bob le Moche » Logged
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:48:22 AM »

I get an error when trying to run it. Says it is not configured properly.
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 12:23:26 PM »

Woops, sorry about that... it should work now! (Please tell me if it does)
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »

Nice!  Not sure what I am looking for ?  it is kinda fun to fly around and bump into the cubes,. the warping at the edges of the portal is a nice touch,. as is the virtual air freshiner,. I like the chunkky-chunk movement sounds but the sonar was driving me nuts!  Wait did that meen I was near my target?  I will try this some more,. thanks.

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »

I love the render effect! The sonar following could be clearer in-game with some indication of direction but otherwise it's cool. =)
Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »

Wow did I read that title wrong ...  Shocked

Pretty nice though. I like the fishbowl effect. Gives it a nice underwater feel.

AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 12:43:23 PM »

Neat!  Works in WINE.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 02:20:45 PM »

Nice, aesthetically, though I can't find those darn data voxels anywhere. The sonar is pretty useless if it doesn't give me a general direction or something.

Grif
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »

Silly kids, sonar only gives directions if you've got at least two broadcast points.
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »

Wow man, I love this, but I could only find two of the data voxels. It was pretty much just a random boop or beep after that, and I had no clue which direction to turn; seemed that every direction was the wrong direction. LOL But anyway, great job!

Oh, and I'll be trying it out again some time when I have the opportunity to spend more time looking for all of the data voxels so that I can get the full experience.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 11:52:59 AM »

Love the painterly style, don't see enough of that around. I'll check it out when I get home.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »

what a surprise! glad you've entered!

Loving the visual style here and that fisheye effect, too. Left and right used to rotate around the ship's Z is a bit confusing, otherwise it's a very cool game.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 09:23:46 PM »

Goddamnit, I can't play it. I start the game, it changes my resolution, then the whole thing freezes. All I can ever see is the console window saying irrKlang is being used. Sad It does that every time.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »

I found one and started looking for another but then realized I should be doing something else and stopped.

Cool though. Trippy graphics. Once you start moving so fast and moving the controls all wildly it sounds like speedcore.

Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 06:36:16 AM »

Thanks for the comments everyone!  Smiley

I just uploaded a new version that fixes the mistake on the instructions screen. I also fixed a small bug where the game would end after you gathered a random number of voxels. I hope nobody minds! Once I make any real change though, like adding music and a few "cutscenes" each time you find a data voxel (the "full experience"), then I'll upload a version separate from the compo entry.

Melly: Have you tried extracting the folder before running the game? The new version has a separate windowed mode, can you tell me if it helps? I thought 640x480 was still supported on every monitor... (I'm already pretty pissed off that 320x240 isn't anymore...)

I'm not sure how I feel about adding direction to the sonar, it's really only supposed to help you once you get close to your target... Figuring out how to use it is part of the challenge: otherwise the game would just become "follow the arrow" and then it ends  Undecided. Maybe I should add a short triangulation tutorial at the beginning?

Now I really need to get started playing all the other games!
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 07:11:35 AM »

I seriously don't know what I'm supposed to find.  Undecided
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 08:19:17 AM »

I don't see anything more than one executable and other files (rt.exe). Yes, I extracted the file. Yes, my monitor is a CRT that supports all those crazy resolutions including 320 x 240. This computer is also new, with a pretty powerful graphics card.

Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 08:58:26 AM »

I just checked the linked zip and it contains the two executables for the windowed and fullscreen mode. My guess is that your browser still has the older file cached? I'm sorry, I should have been clearer about what to expect in the new file.

Also, I'm working on a less confusing introuction to the game, where you are shown what a data voxel looks like, but until then: it's basically a flashing cube. Tongue
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 07:14:43 PM »

Managed to get it working on windowed mode. Found 2 data voxels, then gave up.

I really like what you did with the graphics and how the world is constructed, though it would probably help being given at least a rough direction to where the next data voxel is.

Well done. Beer!

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »

I don't think you should add a direction indicator. It would just reduce the gameplay to "fly towards the arrow". As it is, without it, the game has a really unique, alien feel..

You start out with nothing but a huge mass of cubes and the knowledge that somewhere in that mass, there's some data cubes just waiting for you to find them. But the world's so huge, and you're just a tiny little thing, all alone in the middle of it all.  It's like finding the needle in the haystack, it feels a little daunting, hopeless even.  But you drive around at random for a little bit in the alien landscape, until suddenly, you hear that first ping..  The clue you've been waiting for!  Hopelessness evaporates as you speed along, the pings getting more and more frequent, and.. no!  The time between pings has increased!  Time to back up and reorient yourself, trying out a few alternate directions to see which ones will improve the frequency.  You get it wrong a few times and have to back up again, but then you get it right!  Speeding along until the next one.  All the while the pings get more and more frequent, and then finally one time when reorienting yourself you spot it:  There's something flashing there, in the distance!  It must be a data cube!  Pings all but forgotten, you race over and catch it!

And then there is silence once again, and you realize you're completely lost.

There are less data cubes out there now.  Chancing across one will be less likely.

..was that a ping?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic