Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:41:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesiOS recommendations
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: iOS recommendations  (Read 80720 times)
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:09:37 AM »

So I'm taking a plane trip tomorrow, and for a couple reasons I'm probably not bringing my DS. But I've got this iPod Touch I got last month. And I am thinking, hey! There are games for the iPod Touch! I could play games, on the plane, on the iPod Touch!

But unfortunately in my month of tooling I have yet to find a game for the iPhone, lite or otherwise, that I can believe would hold my attention for more than four minutes (except for this one fantastic free game called "Trace"... but I already beat that). But! I haven't looked very hard.

So, help me Tigsource: Before my plane leaves tomorrow morning, are there any iPhone App Store-available games you would recommend?

So far just now I've installed "Edge" and a freeware version of Rogue. I'm considering something called "aurora feint" (?)

Since the point is to last a plane ride anything that could serve as a timesink (IF, RPGs?) is great.

(If people do feel like giving recommendations I also have a great personal interest in ambient sound/music toys, but unfortunately that won't help me on the plane specifically...)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 03:00:04 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:19:57 AM »

Check out Zen Bound. It's really incredible and based on a PC game called Zen Bondage which you can download here. The gameplay is pretty simple and fun but the music is what really does it to me. It's really really good ambient downtempo.
medieval
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:42:33 AM »

I have only played the (free) PC version, but Black Shades would be a good one, I think.
neue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 05:20:03 PM »

http://www.toucheliss.com/
easily my fave iPhone game, really clever and original puzzler
Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:35:13 PM »

I say buy the full version of Edge, simply because I made the sound design and some of the music :D

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »

- Rolando (try the demo first!)
- Wolfenstein 3D (it's really outdated, but makes for a good mobile game, and I love the iPhone control scheme)

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:45:03 AM »

I say buy the full version of Edge, simply because I made the sound design and some of the music :D
Well done. That game is a real treat in audio terms. Great stuff.

havchr
Level 2

gaming, coding, experimenting photo science party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 01:45:38 AM »

Smiles , made by POV on these forums. Very polished puzzler.
Skybound , get the lite version, because I'm not trying to sell it to you, buy if you like (me and some guys made it), but you probably haven't heard about it. , It's a game about bouncing a ball higher and higher.

That's the problem with lots of iPhone games, most of them don't get much coverage.

Up there. a game about guiding a balloon higher and higher.

for longer games, hmm, maybe you'd like sim city, but I felt it was a bit hard to control.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:27:57 AM by havchr » Logged

Pizza is delicious.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »

BUMP!

Just got an iPhone 3GS myself and wanted some more recommendations.  I got Edge, a couple Tap Tap games, Paper Toss, Scrabble so far but I'd be interested in a top 3 or 5 from you guys.

Is Zenonia any good? 

headcaseGames
Level 0

Mobile Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 09:07:11 PM »

my buddies are all very addicted to the puzzle game Drop7. After my girlfirend got turned onto it, she played that game for damn near 12 hours straigt without breaking...!

If I had time/energy I am sure I'd be checking out Mecho Wars, a ridiculously affordable game in the vein of Advance Wars (one of my favorite games ever!)

Flight Control has been ruling the roost near the top for some time..

Bssically, if you have an iPhone it's really a good time to be a gamer right now, and in the next year it can only get better - provided that you have the patience to sift through the garbage!

Mobile Gaming Developer HeadcaseGames.com
Come see what is the RetroGame of the Day!
twitter.com/headcaseGames
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 05:22:51 AM »

I will get an iPod Touch soon myself. So, I can't tell you about games I've played, but I can tell you about some games I've found which I think look pretty good Smiley

Reflexion is Breakout with the cool twist that you can create the "paddle" anywhere. Looks way more interesting to me than any of the actual clones.

looks like a simple but very chilling game in the vein of Pilotwings. You are a winged person and just fly around using the accelerometer, collection some orbs or flying through loops.

is said to be a charming and certainly good looking platformer. It looks a bit generic to me, but it seems to be very well done.
Saucelifter is a retro remake of Choplifter, and it looks very polished and smooth to play.
Zenonia is an apparently well liked classic action RPG, maybe somewhat similar to Zelda, or probably rather Diablo in a scenario like Zelda's. I've heard about some disappointment in the game's length, as the developer said it's got around 40 hours of play time whereas it's usually only around 15 or so. Other than that it's being praised a lot.
Vector Tanks, simply a Battlezone remake. But the neat control scheme makes it look quite fun to play, despite all the simplicity.

Maybe in a few weeks I'll be able to compile a proper list of what I found fun Smiley
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 07:53:17 AM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
deetus
Level 0

NN-TS NN-TS

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 07:05:47 AM »

Edge, definitely. And Tap Tap Revenge 2.
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 07:18:57 AM »

It's not really a game, but I really recommend the app Bebot.  My friends and I have spent more time with it than all my other apps combined.  It's a very easy-to-use synth with adorable visuals.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 07:34:01 AM »

is an apparently well liked classic action RPG, maybe somewhat similar to Zelda, or probably rather Diablo in a scenario like Zelda's. I've heard about some disappointment in the game's length, as the developer said it's got around 40 hours of play time whereas it's usually only around 15 or so. Other than that it's being praised a lot.

People who are complaining that a $6 game does not provide as much play time as a $60 dollar game really have something wrong with them. I guess it's because it was advertised as 40.

Also, fun fact: Reflexion is made by TIGer goldbrick (buick).

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 07:52:47 AM »

People who are complaining that a $6 game does not provide as much play time as a $60 dollar game really have something wrong with them. I guess it's because it was advertised as 40.
That's what I ment to say. Surely 15 hours of fun play time out of a $6 game is excellent, it's just still disappointing if you were promised more than twice that Smiley

Also, fun fact: Reflexion is made by TIGer goldbrick (buick).
Yup, I linked to the thread because of it Smiley Also Saucelifter was presented here, forgot to link to it: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5802.msg186506#msg186506

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 08:25:46 AM »

Eliss is amazing, but a bit hard.

Zen Bound is wonderful.

Peggle is amazing as well.

All the ngmoco games are great (Topple 1 & 2, Word Fu (my girlfriend is literally addicted to that one), Rolando, etc.)

Tiki Towers is really fun and polished.

As mentioned, Glyder is lots of fun, same for FlightControl.

Also, Trism, Snake Galaxy and Trace are fun. Ro if you like to challenge your mind.

To sum up, my top 5 is:

-Rolando
-Eliss
-Peggle
-Zen Bound
-Edge

You could also jailbreak and get a GBA emulator, for those of you with a non 3.0 firmware. Pokemon is definitely playable on it :p
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »

Get the Pinball Dreams port.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 09:49:44 AM »

Good suggestions guys.  I tried Flight Control, Eliss, Drop 7 and Zen Bound last night.  Eliss gets freakin hard as mentioned and I spent waaay too long playing Drop 7.  Flight Control was awesome too, that one got crazy after 15 planes too. 

I kind of envy people that come up with the cool game mechanics.  It also made me want to get into iPhone development.  Gonna have to find a cheap used Mac now.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 09:52:21 AM »

I also really like Subway Shuffle and Moonlight Mahjong. And of course Zen Bound and Edge. Rocky is pretty fun too, lo fi good times.

JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 09:55:57 AM »

I also really like Subway Shuffle and Moonlight Mahjong. And of course Zen Bound and Edge. Rocky is pretty fun too, lo fi good times.

Subway Shuffle is incredible.  One of my favorites.

Also, Moopf on here made a peg-jumping solitaire game called Hiqup, which is downright awesome, even if I don't care much for the timed levels.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic