Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 08:22:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesiOS recommendations
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: iOS recommendations  (Read 81171 times)
Rolento
Level 0

Make it in Red British Butter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 01:52:49 PM »

I just got a Touch with my new macbook, and have to say I love Eliss.

Lilt Line is good as well, but very short.

Touchgrind is good if you're into that kind of thing.

I hear the Real Racing is impressive if anything.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 02:05:01 PM »

mecho wars was pretty fun
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 02:04:59 AM »

Hmm the best games I've found so found are

Peggle
Fieldrunners
Fruit Juice tycoon

BigMonkGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »

Marble Blast Mobile. Controls are difficult at first but you get the hand of it. Great time waster.

Soldier Ants is a nice worms clone. Has a Lite version too.

Michael Cozzolino http://www.bigmonkgames.com
Paul McCrawfish
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »

I'm bumping this thread because I'm sure more awesome games have come out since June 2009 and I need to know about them.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »

Osmos
Zen Bound 2
Space Invaders Infinity Gene
Trainyard
Game Dev Story
Cut the Rope
Critter Crunch
Spider : Secret of Bryce Manor
Hook Champ
Beat it
Real Racing
Angry Birds
Mirror's Edge
Cogs
iBlast Moki

(bold is highly recommended)

These are some of the ones that have been keeping me busy in the train/plane/couch/bed/etc...the iPhone doesn't have great epic games like the PSP or DS, but it has an awesome library of quick fix puzzlers and action games.
charlie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 01:23:59 AM »

Has anyone suggested Magnetic Shaving Derby yet?

Cheers
Charlie

Check out my games: http://www.charliesgames.com
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 03:38:12 AM »

If you're into roguelikes:

Rogue Touch
Sword of Fargoal
100 Rogues
iNethack
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 08:21:37 AM »

Trainyard - indeed a sweet puzzle game, very well made and not generic. The free "lite" version called Trainyard Express is even more than just a demo, as it  features 60 unique levels which also take a while to complete.
Pew Pew (2) - a great creative "arena shooter", similar to but different from Geometry Wars. Highly polished and well thought-out with several distinct modes. The first Pew Pew is free and now serves as the test version for the second one, but is still well worth playing
Tilt to Live - somewhat similar to Pew Pew, but entirely tilt controlled, extremely polished and also very imaginative
Solomon's Boneyard - a more arcade version of the Diablo-like Solomon's Keep, similar to Crimsonland and the likes. Choose one of the 4 (+3 unlockable) unique wizards, survive hordes of enemies, level up, and collect gold to spend on upgrades which count for all matches, kind of like the upgrade system in Desktop Dungeons. Not very unique, but I found to be highly fun and addictive
Doomsday: Hellraiser - Doom clone based on Freedoom. From what I've seen it's technically identical to the official Doom Classic for iPhone, but it's cheap and also very nice. Especially the controls are just superb once you get used to them
HacX - also very similar to Doom Classic, but a conversion of an old commercial Doom clone and free. As with Doomsday, great controls, fun!
Hoggy - haven't played it much, but it seemed to be very much inspired by VVVVVV, with the same gravity changing mechanic, but lighter, more colourful, and free

Generally, it's worth to occasionally look on AppShopper.com for popular free games of the day here: http://appshopper.com/iphone/games/free/
A lot of terrible games still show up there, but every once in a while you'll come across a free gem.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:07 AM »

Pew Pew (2) - a great creative "arena shooter", similar to but different from Geometry Wars. Highly polished and well thought-out with several distinct modes. The first Pew Pew is free and now serves as the test version for the second one, but is still well worth playing

Haha, it's funny that you mention it and that I didn't because it's actually made by one of my friends (and the music is made by another really good friend of mine). Yes, PewPew is awesome!
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 09:10:24 AM »

I have to second Hook Champ. It's amazing.

The 'sequel' Super Quick Hook is pretty good too.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 06:50:24 PM »

I'll second Game Dev Story.  It's the only time management game I've enjoyed.  It gets too easy once you get a Hacker, but it's still great fun.

Also, I'm completely biased since I worked on it, but BIT.TRIP BEAT for iPhone and iPad is super cool too!  Kiss
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 02:43:44 AM »

Derp, I finally perused my apps.

Evacuation is addicting.

Sword of Fargol is one of the greatest things to happen to the iPod.

Knightfall: Death and Taxes is just as fun and original as on the pc (and its free).

Pix'n Love Rush is just amazing. The graphics, the music, the gameplay. Best quickplay game you can get on the app store.

Undercroft is a fantastic non top-down RPG.

Tumbledrop is a great puzzle game.

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 08:08:30 AM »

I've enjoyed Sword of Fargoal and thought that it is exceptionally well done, but it became so very tedious. I must've played one game for a few hours already, but still I didn't feel like I got very far, especially because every single floor is actually comprised of several different levels, none of which ever got too difficult or very interesting.

What am I missing there? Is it just a game you are supposed to play for hours and hours? Because otherwise I thought it was quite great, especially the excellent atmosphere.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 09:07:44 AM »

I've enjoyed Sword of Fargoal and thought that it is exceptionally well done, but it became so very tedious. I must've played one game for a few hours already, but still I didn't feel like I got very far, especially because every single floor is actually comprised of several different levels, none of which ever got too difficult or very interesting.

What am I missing there? Is it just a game you are supposed to play for hours and hours? Because otherwise I thought it was quite great, especially the excellent atmosphere.
When was the last time you played? There have been quite a few updates, so its actually varied.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »

Knightfall: Death and Taxes is just as fun and original as on the pc (and its free).

Again I'm biased because I was involved in its production, but Knightfall is a great game.  It's got a beautiful pixel-art style, and a LOT of content for an iPhone game.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 09:31:19 AM »

Yup, it's moving further and further away from the C64 original with each update, which is a good thing. I agree that the multi-level floors are a little excessive though. Faster leveling would be nice too, but other than that it's a great game.

Also, be sure to get the free Nethack port. It has a great interface that I think is tons more workable and intuitive than that of the original PC version due to lots of context sensitivity. SLASH'EM, a popular NH variant has a similar port too, made by the same person.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that Knightfall is freemium, not free.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 10:38:40 AM »

When was the last time you played? There have been quite a few updates, so its actually varied.
It was a rather long while ago, but I've quickly looked at it again only a few days ago. Like I said, I really enjoyed nearly all of the game, but found it just too lengthy, too stretched. It's a randomly generated dungeon crawler, which I'd love to play every now and again, maybe an hour or two in total for a single run. But, SoF is ment to be played for a much longer than that, every time, isn't it? Or has that actually changed as well?

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2010, 12:02:33 PM »

The Incident is brilliant on the iPad, and I assume it must be great on iPhone too.

Cut the Rope is my favourite iPhone game so far - good clean physics-based fun with plenty of variation.

I love Ms. Pac-Man, which is weird because I never used to like Pac-Man. Does anyone know if it's worth getting Pac-Man Championship Edition?

Tumbledrop and Doodlejump are both great fun and can be played in quick doses when you just have a couple of minutes to spare.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »

The Incident is brilliant on the iPad, and I assume it must be great on iPhone too.

Cut the Rope is my favourite iPhone game so far - good clean physics-based fun with plenty of variation.

I love Ms. Pac-Man, which is weird because I never used to like Pac-Man. Does anyone know if it's worth getting Pac-Man Championship Edition?

Tumbledrop and Doodlejump are both great fun and can be played in quick doses when you just have a couple of minutes to spare.

I love Pac-Man CE, I think the objectives it adds (such as eat x ghosts, get x pieces of fruit, etc) hold my interest much longer than the original.  Be warned though, that a good chunk of the content is locked behind an in-app purchase.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic