Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:05:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2311693 times)
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #13000 on: October 25, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »

She switched her twitter to protected... She doesn't really understand the fact that she's digging her own grave does she?

Think happy thoughts.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13001 on: October 25, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »

The article was re-posted here with the censored part added back and in bold text: http://wosland.podgamer.com/a-table-of-cowards/
I love their "Tall, Thin Game Of The Month" thing

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13002 on: October 25, 2012, 08:25:34 PM »

Zynga is finally crashing out and burning

All I hope now is that mark-"I did everything horrible in the book"-pincus ends up in jail

Took them long enough. Zynga revolutionized the social gaming industry... in the wrong direction. It's a first step in making big studios realize that the model of screwing over your customers and spamming people just doesn't work in the long run.
alto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13003 on: October 25, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »

look at this thing (ctrl-f for "bush")
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13004 on: October 26, 2012, 03:05:51 AM »

I don't think Zynga's problem at the core was screwing over customers. Their "Games", played for free and in small doses, gave casual and newbie gamers their first taste of what long term progression in a game could taste like. The simple interface with minimal interaction (most of the game consisted of simply accepting the results of events) was non-threatening and therefore appealed to people who would find a Civilization style sim (where poor decisions can easily result in extremely bad consequences) frustrating and obtuse.

The use of the "Freemium" style also encouraged a lot of people to play the game that would have normally skipped it entirely.

They're crashing and burning because, too late, they realized that the Farmville formula is declining from its height of the cash cow days. Farmville is still profitable, but now Zynga can't reskin it as Castleville and expect people to keep on pouring in money. Zynga made some moves into more traditional games, like Draw Something, but they're entering into a completely crowded marketplace where their name recognition just isn't strong enough to make them competitive.

I wouldn't be surprised if Farmville users went on to play more complicated casual games when the appeal of clicking your cow once a day for money wears thin but they're still jonesing for the appeal of watching their little digital farm expand over time.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13005 on: October 26, 2012, 04:27:42 AM »

look at this thing (ctrl-f for "bush")

This game needs to be reskinned with candy and bunnies.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: October 26, 2012, 05:42:56 AM »

Zynga did not sell fun. It sold addiction. It sold pride - one of the bragging points in Farmville was getting some kind of Villa, and people would be willing to pay for it. But Zynga just kept adding more and more crap to the game, trying to monetize every single thing to the point that every single move started costing more and more.

It had a critical mass where it was sustaining itself forever on pride and addiction. But when the buzz of the addiction starts wearing off under the weight of diluted dosages, people just stop and don't look back.

There is a more complex, more polished version of Farmville: Farmville 2. It's actually a decent game, very well coded, and has more than just basic cow clicking. But the Farmville fanatics wouldn't want to start over again, and the casual players are bored of the genre. I did enjoy it as a game, but it felt hollow and loveless.

Draw Something was also a really good game. I don't know how you could say it wasn't competitive; it hit the most downloaded paid app on the Android at one point. But Zynga, again, tried to wring every cent out of it. Ads got more annoying, little fun things started costing more, the game started to farm more personal data from you, and it had that Zynga flavor of bugging you to play the game every few hours. It would still be a hit today if they maintained it while it was at its peak.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13007 on: October 26, 2012, 05:49:02 AM »

Same rules apply to game demos.  You can't pester people to buy the full version too much, or restrict them in all sorts of asinine ways, or they just get annoyed and leave.

Zynga didn't even learn what 1990's shareware authors had.
st33d
« Reply #13008 on: October 26, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »

I've deliberately avoided all Zynga games.

I know the ridiculous amount of data-harvesting you can do with the lowest permissions on Facebook. I even had a bit of fun forcing co-workers to spam each other when I was making our first Facebook game.

It's really dark what they allow you to get away with.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13009 on: October 26, 2012, 08:50:16 AM »

I made a Facebook app for a contract once.  The amount of data you can pull off their API is pretty scary.
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13010 on: October 26, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »

Today is my birthday! Now I want my HDD to already make games Tongue

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13011 on: October 26, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »

Happy birthday!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: October 26, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »

What was unfair with social game was the friend meaningless spamming and all sort of pay gate ...

Farmville is basically harvest moon and I fucking love harvest moon, so saying it's not fun, wait for animal crossing too! ... also it's not the same public, social game are game of commitment where the reward is having everything works well and grow, which is certainly a kind of safe haven for the middle age mother who play the game, they take pride in commitment and sseing thing things grow accordingly, that's basically an idealization of their view on life, something that cannot go wrong as long as they commit. Hardcore gamer derive fun from being a hero a mastering chaos, that's entirely something else.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: October 27, 2012, 01:11:54 AM »

i stopped playing animal crossing at some point b/c it was starting to feel like a job.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13014 on: October 27, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »

Well, this is stupid
Hopefully they will get free soon.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13015 on: October 27, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »

Well, this is stupid
Hopefully they will get free soon.

I think you mean they are stupid, because what the hell did they think would happen
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13016 on: October 27, 2012, 01:12:54 PM »

I'm kind of confused as to what happened.

They just took a picture?? And they... were recognized as ArmaII devs?

"OH SNAP THEY SPYING ON US"

it's gotta be more than that but I can't get anything more from that petition site.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: October 27, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »

They just took a picture?? And they... were recognized as ArmaII devs?
no. they took a picture of a "military installation" apparently and drew the suspicion of the authorities. why would arma be associated with espionage lol

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13018 on: October 27, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »

Yeah, the reason why they got arested was pretty dum. Greece is turning into a right-wing police state because of austerity measures, so that doesn't surprise me much. (as unfair it is)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13019 on: October 27, 2012, 02:03:12 PM »

I can understand that a country gets pissed off at being turned into the weekly terrorist hideout by hollywood neo-fascistic culture, when they're already harrassed by all europe for "being bad spenders" and not adhering to the perfect aryan budget program,  and having the responsibility of the whole crisis put on themselves in the medias all the time

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic