Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:54:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2312278 times)
Vithium
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13360 on: December 01, 2012, 06:29:56 AM »

any good places to upload it too?  I have never used photobucket or any of those sites before for pictures.
Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13361 on: December 01, 2012, 06:33:15 AM »

I use Dropbox with a public link, but if you don't (though I recommend using it, for backups, sharing, etc.), you could try imgur.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13362 on: December 01, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »

Welcome to the drome.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #13363 on: December 01, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

Rogue or Rouge? what's the difference? I keep seeing the two.

Ashkin
« Reply #13364 on: December 01, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »

da fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck???
Shhhhh. Nobody must know what you saw here.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13365 on: December 01, 2012, 01:18:33 PM »

Maybe I am quite late on the train, but it is obvious to me now why Notch hates the Windows 8 App store so much.
In other App stores, Minecraft is in the top charts but it is not #1.
He is afraid that in the MS App store his game won't be #1 and so it won't sell so well as it used to\could.
Seems like very simple logic.

Master of all trades.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #13366 on: December 01, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »

Rogue or Rouge? what's the difference? I keep seeing the two.
A Rogue is a wanderer, Rouge is Red (although I think you have mentioned knowing french before in this thread, so I'm guessing you know that one)

Maybe I am quite late on the train, but it is obvious to me now why Notch hates the Windows 8 App store so much.
He is afraid that in the MS App store his game won't be #1 and so it won't sell so well as it used to\could.

Well, that and the fact that something like minecraft probably couldn't succeed on the new closed platform they are trying to create if it wasn't already hugely popular

Think happy thoughts.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13367 on: December 01, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »

I mean people use them both for "rogue like" When something start with "rouge like" they kept it the whole article. I thought it was "something"!

Ashkin
« Reply #13368 on: December 01, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »

Pretty sure it's just the same reason as everyone else- namely closing up a software platform that was once much more open.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #13369 on: December 01, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »

I mean people use them both for "rogue like" When something start with "rouge like" they kept it the whole article. I thought it was "something"!

Oh, I see what you mean, I'm pretty sure "Rouge like" is basically a misspelling, as the whole concept of being a "Rogue like" is that it plays like the game Rogue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_%28computer_game%29

Think happy thoughts.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13370 on: December 01, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »

Ashkin, how is it less open? That's a lie.
You can still sell your game, properly signed or not outside of the App Store. The only caveat MIGHT be the warnning if you don't properly sign it, but that is really a minor issue.

The thing is, the App store is good for everyone but the big indies. Because it gives you a chance to get exposure and distribution of your game which you might not be able to get on your own. With your own website, with begging press people to know you exist and etc.

App stores are good for the little guy and Notch is afraid of it because it will give him more healthy competition in a place he once reigned supreme.

Master of all trades.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13371 on: December 01, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »

It's just poeple not knowing how to spell. Defanately nothing else about it.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #13372 on: December 01, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »

The thing is, the App store is good for everyone but the big indies. Because it gives you a chance to get exposure and distribution of your game which you might not be able to get on your own. With your own website, with begging press people to know you exist and etc.
This is true, it definitely helps products get potenial customers attentions.

App stores are good for the little guy and Notch is afraid of it because it will give him more healthy competition in a place he once reigned supreme.
I don't think he cares about competition (I wouldn't either if I was him, hes got his money). See the XNA minecraft clones, which he has been extremely cool with despite two of them making over a million

Think happy thoughts.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13373 on: December 01, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »

s_l_m, he is afraid of competition in his primary platform which is the PC.
In the PC he is the #1, in all the other platforms he is not. He doesn't want the PC to be like the other platforms where his huge fan base matter less because an App store change the rules of distribution.

Master of all trades.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13374 on: December 01, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »

In the PC he is the #1, in all the other platforms he is not. He doesn't want the PC to be like the other platforms where his huge fan base matter less because an App store change the rules of distribution.

Are you that obsessed with imagining the worst in people you've never met before?  Seriously, it's really pathetic.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13375 on: December 01, 2012, 01:41:18 PM »

There is a lot of minecraft like on pc that notch have tweet ...

Also thanks CA and slm!

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #13376 on: December 01, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »

"Yeah. I understand why Microsoft are doing it. I just wish they didn’t do it, because it’s…yeah. It could ruin a lot of things for a lot of people.

I understand why Valve wants to do what it’s doing, too. But then they would be the de facto store again, and you’d still have the Windows 8 situation in practice anyway. Because everyone would be using Steam. Is that better than only using the Windows store? I don’t know. It’s more open, because you could use an alternative, but if nobody does… I hope that Valve chooses to work with others. Like, I wish they would have worked with Desura instead of making Greenlight." - Notch

Doesn't sound like he's coming at it from an "afraid of competition" viewpoint...

@Gimmy: no problemo

Also: on a tangent, has anyone played Little Inferno? Because instead of doing homework I have just spent 5.5 hours getting everything in it  Smiley

Think happy thoughts.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13377 on: December 01, 2012, 01:48:21 PM »

Ashkin, how is it less open? That's a lie.
You can still sell your game, properly signed or not outside of the App Store. The only caveat MIGHT be the warnning if you don't properly sign it, but that is really a minor issue.

I can imagine notch being affraid of all doodle jum clones, and all the slenderman clones, and all the minecraft clones.
You're going down notch! power to the people!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13378 on: December 01, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »

Who is it going to ruin things for? I don't understand why the hell an App store is bad?
It might be bad for existing indies which will have to rework their distribution channels, but it is definitely give more chances for indies\companies who are literaly unknown become very successful and gain distribution channel simply by climbing up the top charts.

I would think selling games with an App store is way more easy than relying on a bunch of press people and beg them to cover your game. On the PC if you don't get covered by some of the big press people and you don't have any other option, you are looking for a slow and painful way to grow.
With an App store you can gain hundreds of thousands of fans over night.
That is almost impossible without an App store unless you get help from some "taste makers".

Also, whether Notch is afraid or competition or not(I don't know), the MS App store is going to give him more competition.

Master of all trades.
Vithium
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13379 on: December 01, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »

Actually I do use dropbox to backup all my projects and code.  How do you use it to link a picture to?
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic