Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:19:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2312007 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15140 on: April 30, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »

Is the new RoadRash kickstarter "legitimate"?
They basically have one cut-scene video which they claim is a gameplay video.
It's obvious to me because no player could get such a perfect play. They could have said it's a concept, but they didn't.

It's like the modern version of the "idea man" who wants you to invest in his idea eventhough he didn't code anything yet.

Basically any person can make a short animated\scripted 3D video in unity and start a kickstarter based on that, saying that this is the gameplay.
They also said it is coming to Wii-U while sticking snaphots from the video inside the Wii-U controller.

Maybe this is legitimate and it's ok to give money to the idea man, eventhough they don't have any prototype yet. The question is the people who support this kickstarter are aware this is just a cut scene with a lot of promises?

Well, of course this is all legal and all, and there are much worse things on the world, but if you support this, why do you keep complaining of the things the industry do? This is basically as low as EA can go.

(If you don't see how this is a scripted cut scene, just notice how he shoots with the shot gun and in a split second a car just pass him by and he hits the car's window. There are other examples of this perfect gameplay)

Master of all trades.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15141 on: April 30, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »

Wasn't the original Road Rash half FMV anyway? Shrug
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15142 on: April 30, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »

Not the one for the mega drive. I don't know about newer road rash games.
Edit: But still, even if it does represnt the real gameplay well, would you fund a game with only a scripted\animated video and no prototype yet?

Master of all trades.
Ashkin
« Reply #15143 on: April 30, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »

Not the one for the mega drive. I don't know about newer road rash games.
Edit: But still, even if it does represnt the real gameplay well, would you fund a game with only a scripted\animated video and no prototype yet?
If I liked the idea, yeah
After all, isn't that... kind of what Kickstarter is for? Huh?
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15144 on: April 30, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »

No?
Usually you need a proof of concept for your idea before you start asking for thousands of dollars on an idea no one know if you can deliver including yourself.
The exception is if a known team that delivered games in the past come out with an idea, but they would at least have more concept fleshed out.
If you don't have any past examples of what you did, you should invest more in a prototype and proof of concept.

Don't you find it odd that in order to get funded in kickstarter all you need is a short video mock-up of what you imagine your game will be?
Also, can you tell what kind of gameplay this game will have from the video?

Master of all trades.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15145 on: April 30, 2013, 01:36:44 PM »

If you really think "Have a working prototype/demo" should be a requirement before making a vidyagaem-related Kickstarter, suggest it to them.  Ranting about it here does nothing.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15146 on: April 30, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »

Your "mature" posts on the 16 bit enraged kickstarter were more worthy to post than this? Were you making good use of your time and contributing to this forum when posting a picture of the developer of the Enraged?

Master of all trades.
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15147 on: April 30, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »

Is the new RoadRash kickstarter "legitimate"?
<Wild speculation>
<Backed up with ludicrous assertion that people making a game could never be good at that game>
<Accusation of foul play founded on this basis>
<Generalisation of poor behaviour>
<Complaining about perfectly reasonable marketing approach that everyone does and everyone knows about>
<Continuing to base rant on unfounded assertions>
<Scaremongering>
<Comparing Road Redemption devs negatively to EA purely based on suspicions in own fantasy world>

Tell me again how JFK and Elvis live in a bunker at the heart of the world and dictate the affairs of men?

Maybe these guys did mock up that gameplay video, but your 'proof' with the car windscreen could equally easily be auto-lock-on, which no small number of games have. It's not unheard of for people who spend their entire working day testing a game to get pretty good at that game, you know? If it's a giant imaginary scam it's a pretty big risk they're taking to publically name the actual games industry professionals who are supposedly working on this game and could kill their whole high-profile con by simply noticing and speaking up in a thirty-day window during which there's a very high chance that someone who knows them will ask them about it.

I wouldn't worry about it, it looks like it's pretty tight as to whether they'll get funded anyway.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15148 on: April 30, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »

Your "mature" posts on the 16 bit enraged kickstarter were more worthy to post than this? Were you making good use of your time and contributing to this forum when posting a picture of the developer of the Enraged?

I don't know what the point you're trying to make at this point is, but

1. That got dromed
2. They failed to meet their funding goal by 50%
3. They had a working demo/prototype that you could download and try yourself
4. Any kind of Road Rash remake would be better than an RPG maker game WITH ZOMBIES OMG!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:55:59 PM by Udderdude » Logged
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15149 on: April 30, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »

Vice's show on HBO is really good.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15150 on: May 01, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »

Sar, I don't know if they just don't show us the amazing tools and prototype they have already made, but the only thing they show us they did on the actual game\prototype is the same fffing video and a few simple models.
You can see they put the cut scene video throught the interview of the team part like a dozen of times, and it's exactly the same thing.
Oh yea, they also show some terrain in Unity, probably what they used to make the cut scene video.
I also don't buy the "super experienced amazing team". They were working at Disney, Pixar and mega big companies, but all they could produce for the kickstarter campaign is one decent cutscene video?
I think you guys are being naive here, not me.
It is highly unlikely that they have anything more than a cut scene and a few models right now. They might be super talented and all, but they didn't produce almost anything to show their super hidden talents.

You would think a talented person who wants to make a kickstarter would actually show what he can make by making those things, not glorifying himself and his team.

It is these kind of people that make me so sick of indie and how people exploit other peoples' misunderstanding of what is hype\marketing and what is real content and talent.

Master of all trades.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15151 on: May 01, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »

Is anyone else having trouble with Steam?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15152 on: May 01, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »

what sort of trouble?
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15153 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »

Well my client won't let me log in because there are network issues and won't let me go into offline moved because I don't have log in data stored on the computer. My network is fine though, I can browse the web and iTunes can download stuff just fine.

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15154 on: May 01, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »

Valve's supposed to be doing maintenance today.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15155 on: May 01, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »

Ahh, that might be it.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15156 on: May 01, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »

It is these kind of people that make me so sick of indie and how people exploit other peoples' misunderstanding of what is hype\marketing and what is real content and talent.

Sorry, I forgot for a moment how indie developers aren't allowed to try and make people interested in their games, constitutionally hate money, and are only interested in becoming the single most popular project on IndieDB.

If there's one thing that winds me up about the indie 'scene' it's the snobbery about what is or isn't 'allowed' that some people flaunt as if it's something positive. These people want to make a game, who cares how much of that game they've got done so far? People need to eat and live in houses and shit, you know? Maybe they can't afford to make a downloadable playable demo without getting some money from KS first. If you don't like it, don't give them any of your money, it's that simple. Throwing your conspiracy theory around and casting aspersions about how 'legitimate' they are doesn't benefit anybody. Of all the things to get upset about on KS I fail to see how this ranks in the top ten!

Even if what they've shown is just a pre-rendered video, they've clearly got the talent and game design nous to make that video look like a fun game to somewhere around three thousand people. There's lots of finished and published games which don't manage that.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: May 01, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »

sar, don't mistakenly think that anyone else in the forums shares pompi's delusions

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15158 on: May 01, 2013, 05:02:37 PM »

when some bro said, NO MAN IS AN ISLAND FOLKS

well

he had never met pompi
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15159 on: May 01, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »

PompiPompous

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic