Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:43:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2326607 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #17980 on: April 28, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »

Let me put the discussion where it belongs, in game the privilege is to have nuanced representation that is not harmful and allow escapism.

Myself I don't have much escapism when people I care about are only jokes, kill target, villain, sex objects, support characters that get fridged, thug, gun expert, angry and bossy, fake leader that are proven wrong by the main character (almost always white) , servant BUT nothing positives where they are actually cared and cherished or have any kind of agency. Aka deny of escapism or any actual relevance.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17981 on: April 28, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »

Let me put the discussion where it belongs, in game the privilege is to have nuanced representation that is not harmful and allow escapism.

Myself I don't have much escapism when people I care about are only jokes, kill target, villain, sex objects, support characters that get fridged, thug, gun expert, angry and bossy, fake leader that are proven wrong by the main character (almost always white) , servant BUT nothing positives where they are actually cared and cherished or have any kind of agency. Aka deny of escapism or any actual relevance.

quoting this so it doesnt get paged

---------------------------------------------

anyway, i thought the "easy mode" privilege article was actually kinda bad because the analogy doesnt work. i don't even like playing on easy mode in most gams.

here's a better article about privilege using gaming as an example: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/23/5640678/playing-with-privilege-the-invisible-benefits-of-gaming-while-male
JWK5
« Reply #17982 on: April 28, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »

What do you think when people in a minority constantly have experience of being dismiss just by being different since they are fucking born?
What makes you so sure that is a condition limited to only the minority?

In that regard, despite all the headbutting and difference of opinions I've actually made a point to studying a lot of the things we talked about (and beyond), looking for a wider range of cultural influences, become more aware and focused on providing an experience that is inclusive to different life outlooks, etc. It has not fallen on deaf ears even when we don't agree or I challenge your opinion (or vice versa).

At this stage in the game I wouldn't even throw my views out there if it weren't to learn and understand, because I just don't have time in my life for internet dueling. However, for as long as I live I will always stick my foot in my mouth and find myself confused. Learning through shock and awe is how I roll, whether I like it or not. So I am okay with possibly being wrong and looking like an ass.

Quote from: C.A. Silbereisen
dynamics between social *groups*, not individuals. if you think a social theory is a "failure" because it doesn't account for every single case you're just misunderstanding sociology
Not a failure in its structure, a failure in how it is used.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:21:53 PM by JWK5 » Logged
feminazi
« Reply #17983 on: April 28, 2014, 05:19:01 PM »

i just laugh at anyone who gets mad at the word privlege
dont see the point in explaining a concept to people who thinks accusations or whatever is the roughest thing to happen to them
JWK5
« Reply #17984 on: April 28, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »

i just laugh at anyone who gets mad at the word privlege
dont see the point in explaining a concept to people who thinks accusations or whatever is the roughest thing to happen to them
For some it is not the accusations but what follows.
feminazi
« Reply #17985 on: April 28, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »

like what? here's what i've seen in social justice circles. white guy enters conversation, and very few want to spend their entire life being a teaching moment for the white guy because he could fucking read about it like everyone else, then he parades as if he needs to be taught in order to fix the world and then i tell him to fuck off.

also
he didnt say its limited to ONLY THE MINORITY
it's more likely that the minority are ignored FOR BEING A MINORITY
a white guy who is ignored for other reasons

there's also the amazing hypocrisy in mainstream feminism of constantly promoting male feminists who just quote the woman's work.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17986 on: April 28, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »

about the difference:
The difference is that you can break through it more easily if you have one hint of privileges. It's best to see privilegeS as rpg perk. If you are poor, nerd, black, you get more negatives that if you get the same but with one more privilege. Privilege is a set of things that stack up. If you are middle class black person you are more likely to die when a cop inspect you that a poor white person if we acknowledge the stats in america. You are more likely to be taken seriously as a date to be cherished if a you are a white poor girl than a middle class very dark girl and people won't assume you are bossy and picky if you have standard for a relation. It's easier to left your condition if it's not tied to mental and physical condition, and those conditions are not seem the same when you have different background.

However we butt head more about sexism you seems to have come a long way on this topic ... : P

but read that
http://www.propublica.org/article/segregation-now-the-resegregation-of-americas-schools

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17987 on: April 28, 2014, 05:39:49 PM »

like what? here's what i've seen in social justice circles. white guy enters conversation, and very few want to spend their entire life being a teaching moment for the white guy because he could fucking read about it like everyone else, then he parades as if he needs to be taught in order to fix the world and then i tell him to fuck off.

also
he didnt say its limited to ONLY THE MINORITY
it's more likely that the minority are ignored FOR BEING A MINORITY
a white guy who is ignored for other reasons

there's also the amazing hypocrisy in mainstream feminism of constantly promoting male feminists who just quote the woman's work.

By the way patriarchy have a nice place for feminism, to kept them victim, I coming to understand it's less about helping women as it is to remove barrier so they can do what they could when they want. It's not about the women it's about the patriarchy.

edit
especially when you follow the history of gender role, I mean:

Emotionally irresponsible, childish an d incapable of managing money?

- women: put them under men's tutelage and shame them!
- men: put them in charge of fucking wall street, glorify them!

It doesn't matter what role, what perception of each gender, male > female, that's the main problem

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:44:59 PM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

feminazi
« Reply #17988 on: April 28, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »

gimmy is more willing to waste time with these noobz
ur never gonna get sonic done bro
feminazi
« Reply #17989 on: April 28, 2014, 05:47:35 PM »

men r mor funny than women. for exampl anita sarkessian conspriacy theories r a source of great laffs

edit:

men are "investing"
aka wasting money
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17990 on: April 28, 2014, 05:49:01 PM »

gamers complain about gaming not being taken seriously
only hipsters and activists do that

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
feminazi
« Reply #17991 on: April 28, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »

if moi deletd his account we'd lose ltieraly nothing. none of his post actualy said anything, despite making liek 10k of them
feminazi
« Reply #17992 on: April 28, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »

I hate like 70% of the indie games community, whys everyone a social activist tard, it's just video games you artsy nerds

go bak 2 4chan
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #17993 on: April 28, 2014, 06:02:59 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with using rotoscoping to create 2D sprites? Any software that would ease that process as much a possible? I'm not sure but I am just tossing ideas around in my head and I think I want to try it.

Think happy thoughts.
JWK5
« Reply #17994 on: April 28, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »

On another note,

was a really good TEDx talk on social interaction, it is interesting how it proposes that we actually make the people around us who they are and they make us who we are.
feminazi
« Reply #17995 on: April 28, 2014, 06:15:48 PM »

anyway this da last respons

That slightly makes sense but why do they push shit so aggressively, I don't care one way or another about what they're pushing, it just seems like they could be more successful in selling their ideas somewhere else because video games don't really line up with gay rights or pro abortion or whatever the fuck it is.

Kinda expecting eva to come in here with a somewhat reasonable answer (probably wrapped in slurs and insults as well but w/e)

"selling their ideas somewhere else" is telling them to go away, which is antithetical to the whole thing

1) the reason video games dont line up with gay rights or abortion or whatever is literally a representation thing, as in video games largely being made by straight(any mention of gay rights is now gone from the medium) cis men (abortions arent a thing, other than a bad smash bros meme joke)

there are movies/books that talk about those, and have some influence in public conversation regarding both those things

2) the fact that it is being made by largely white men is an economic and social problem in itself, in pretty much every field, so everyone that's not 4chan should want to fix this regardless of "video games", and there's groups of activists in pretty much each one (some you'll notice more because... youre in it)

3) it's definitely gotten more trendy in the game space, being loud prompted some AAA devs who wouldn't have otherwise to listen so there's that (ex: bioware is making a big deal about dragon age 3 box art character being non-gendered for example), but it hasn't reached everyone obviously, there's still devs like the ubisoft designer who said "we'll never see a homosexual character". in a way shouting is a form of changing what the market demands.
pottering
« Reply #17996 on: April 28, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »

gamers complain about gaming not being taken seriously
only hipsters and activists do that
man, I fucking wish
feminazi
« Reply #17997 on: April 28, 2014, 06:23:50 PM »

all you have to do is take a look at neogaf or somthin

they definitly care about their medium
"keep ur politics out of my video gam" usually followed by (wrong) arguments about free speech and shit so
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17998 on: April 28, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with using rotoscoping to create 2D sprites? Any software that would ease that process as much a possible? I'm not sure but I am just tossing ideas around in my head and I think I want to try it.

I've actually done quite alot of rotoscoping for years now and my experience is mainly using Flash and a tablet. Have a pretty good workflow going now. If you need any tips or anything just let me know.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17999 on: April 28, 2014, 06:35:02 PM »

Well the notion that game is made by cis white male isn't exact, it's more like they are the gatekeepers who decide who get made and who get monies. And it's not just white cis male, it's a subset of very privileged white cis male. They give white cis male a bad name by deceiving every one even "lower class" white cis male who will identify to them and buy their speak without really thinking about it.

Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic