Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:07:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2311683 times)
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #18660 on: August 14, 2014, 08:10:42 AM »

The article writer didn't grasp any of the reasons why developers make these sorts of games free in the first place. It is a marketing strategy and it's not based on the idiotic idea that everyone who plays a free-to-play game will spend money on it.

There’s a thriving community of erotic e-book authors who create hundreds of short stories (5,000 words) and self-publish them on Kindle, cross-promoting them with each other and chasing trends. Hell, I’ve done it.

Of course, then he later confessed that he wrote e-rotica for quick cash. Lips Sealed

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18661 on: August 14, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »

Yeah, I mean, its like the author hasnt read of succesufl f2p models like path of exile, which even requires constant infrastructure maintenance and shit, and yet they still some modest cash.

fakeedit:
Then again the author has this in her description:  Producer of iOS games like Zombie Farm.

OMG Zombie Faaaaarm is like a product of love. They almost called it Clash of the Zombie Farm Saga.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18662 on: August 14, 2014, 08:18:23 AM »

Btw, am I the only one tired of people using the "beautiful" adjective to describe everything now? Months ago I have read of web design studios who commited to creating beautiful interfaces, javascript engines to help you develop beautiful applications, and so on. grrruh

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #18663 on: August 14, 2014, 09:09:32 AM »

I DO know a bunch of people who will play game but will not pay for it, saying something like "paying money to play game is stupid". It's infuriating, though i don't expect them to understand that people who make these game (except, you know, clone) need money on their ends too. So i kind of understand her stand.

But then i don't play F2P game.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #18664 on: August 14, 2014, 09:16:27 AM »

It's because it's targeted to client
also because most designer aren't in for the design but for the statutory illusion of being artist that does beautiful creative things (basically cloning whatever graphic fad on the moment like aqua or minimalism), this is important shit in the world!

Also
hard core gamer (and dev) should realize that they are whales and the trick use to make them buy a game upfront are worse trick (like literal lie) than a play before you buy games you must enjoy BEFORE paying! AND WHEN +95% does not pay that's a goddamn weak trick!
If a f2p games sucks, well it cost you uninstalling it, when a AAA or indie game sucks well good by 10-90€ in your pocket, doubly so if digital because no resell...

Don't bash f2p, bash excitable hard core gamerz

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18665 on: August 14, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »

yeah i dont pay for my no-intro collection, because paying is for gamerz scrubs. what if i dont like whatever obscure colecovision game i am playing?

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18666 on: August 14, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »

There are rotten tomatoes using both business models. Just look at the game crash in 1983 to see how the pay upfront model can go terribly wrong. But it doesn't mean free to play is better, just another medium.

...than a play before you buy games you must enjoy BEFORE paying!

I think a lot of people who spend money on f2p games don't genuinely enjoy them. Sunk cost fallacy.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18667 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »

I genuinely enjoy them (I start recently) and being bored is only a new game away for a new thrill. BTW hardcore game are hardly different too, see achievement, skyrim etc... Also what about infinite runner (I guess you are talking about the management lite game that have a grow model) Sunk cost fallacy apply to 60€ you plunk buying that average game that just good enough for you to continue and justify the cost.

In fact a lot of lesson can be learnt from those game, in like 5s I was playing and having fun instead of watching a boring cringe inducing cinematic intro I don't care about (and the dev too apparently), Also they are way better at introducing you to the game right away by hiding tutorial and escalating complexity right into the progression structure.

Plus as a customer I have only 400€ per month, they are way better spend by not buying risky games that are just clone with minor variation I played the last 25 years, when I can play a bigger number of clones with variation for free! and that are fun!

edit:
Also they actually run on my inexpensive rig, that's a huge perk, I have plenty old steam game I can't play because they don't even launch on my computer.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18668 on: August 14, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »

There are rotten tomatoes using both business models. Just look at the game crash in 1983 to see how the pay upfront model can go terribly wrong. But it doesn't mean free to play is better, just another medium.

the current hype/preorder culture is the worst shit. i dont preorder games on principle. actually i don't buy new games at all anymore with a handful of exceptions.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:21:10 AM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18669 on: August 14, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »

Agreed. Even with Dark Souls 2 (a game I was greatly anticipating), I waited for the reviews to come out before deciding to buy the game. I would have been crushed if it was terrible, but at least I'd still have my money.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18670 on: August 14, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »

honestly with so much ever growing game catalogs, why would real gamerz preorder shit. i mean, i have yet to beat thousands and thousands of games i already own, why rush into buying a game without all the dlc that will eventually be bundled in a goty edition (which is cheaper than even buying a full dlc bundle during a deal).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18671 on: August 14, 2014, 10:37:48 AM »

honestly with so much ever growing game catalogs, why would real gamerz preorder shit.

i have no idea but apparently a lot of ppl do. a lot of ppl also buy day 1 dlc and shit like that. f2p might be a little shady (or sometimes very shady, cf EA's dungeon keeper) but business practices for AAA releases are just insane at the moment.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18672 on: August 14, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »

anyway i think gimmy's argument is a bit fallacious. liking games ≠ liking the business practices behind them, tho admittedly a lot of "core" gamers do seem to almost worship the game industry for reasons i can't discern. (this is p much unique to videogames too as far i know).
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18673 on: August 14, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »

It's not in that way, it's that I find fallacious the reason to dismiss f2p as "shady" when the other model is worse in my opinion "from a customer perspective". Traditional model is like buying a surprise box before knowing what's truly inside. That's my point, that those argument are not in touch with the reality.

Now that dev don't like it it's understandable, it's not really sustainable, or at least it does not looks like it.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18674 on: August 14, 2014, 11:15:49 AM »

anyway i think gimmy's argument is a bit fallacious. liking games ≠ liking the business practices behind them, tho admittedly a lot of "core" gamers do seem to almost worship the game industry for reasons i can't discern. (this is p much unique to videogames too as far i know).
clearly you havent seen tmz or follow celebrty news blogs

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18675 on: August 14, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »

honestly with so much ever growing game catalogs, why would real gamerz preorder shit.

i have no idea but apparently a lot of ppl do. a lot of ppl also buy day 1 dlc and shit like that. f2p might be a little shady (or sometimes very shady, cf EA's dungeon keeper) but business practices for AAA releases are just insane at the moment.

I can sort of relate with multiplayer games, given how quickly those can depopulate (which relates to a very different can of worms -- you play a game whose value has an expiry date), but singleplayer games can really wait an eternity. i guess the necesity to share with your friends that you played the latest and the greatest release has a huge effect on people. then again, people glance with a raised eyebrow to my rather  obscure (for mainstream) physical ps3 collection because i lack call of booty

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18676 on: August 14, 2014, 11:32:16 AM »

It's not in that way, it's that I find fallacious the reason to dismiss f2p as "shady" when the other model is worse in my opinion "from a customer perspective". Traditional model is like buying a surprise box before knowing what's truly inside. That's my point, that those argument are not in touch with the reality.

no u r still operating under the fallacy that ppl who "dismiss" (i.e. are critical of) f2p necessarily believe the "traditional" model is somehow great.

a lot of "f2p" games hit you with a paywall at some point, not much difference from a paid game with a demo. also im going to reserve the right to refer to selling potentially infinite amounts of "digital currency" (aka selling literally nothing) and targeting kids and people who are prone to gambling addiction (aka the infamous "whales") with that as slightly "shady", thankyouverymuch.

and before you bring up examples of how other business practices are also exploitative: don't. i know they are. doesn't somehow excuse f2p.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:47:12 AM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18677 on: August 14, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »

clearly you havent seen tmz or follow celebrty news blogs

hahah, welp at least ppl who worship celebrities worship actual people rather than, you know, companies. i guess the closest thing to gamers' weird relation to the game industry is sports fans.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18678 on: August 14, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »

apple and even somewhat starbucks disagree with you. there are probably more but eh. in fact most people i know have no idea who infinity ward is but know about cods to be shot. same goes for crystal dynamics and female hot indy jones. the most notable exception is blizzard with their orc dating sims i guess and id with demon punching.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18679 on: August 14, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »

oops youre right, i was dum. i was thinking more along the lines of like console fanboys and shit (because those are so common on the internet)
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic