Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:12:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327257 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #19440 on: December 04, 2014, 01:27:06 PM »

Also I was reading about "drone pilot" getting ptsd despite being remove from the battlefield .... With VR we might expect player developing PTSD for too much realism with "presence", I'm sure VR work without presence and that presence might not be desirable all th etime.

JWK5
« Reply #19441 on: December 04, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »

A friend of mine had to cut back on playing CoD and other war shooters due to them triggering flashbacks of war and exacerbating the symptoms of his PTSD. He said it wasn't so much the graphics or the realism or such that triggered the flashbacks, but the feelings of aggression and panic, hunting down targets, etc. that would do it.

I imagine with drones, even though they are disconnected from the experience to a degree they are still connected enough to know they are taking a life (for example). I wonder how many of the drone pilots fair with video games after their bad experiences. Would flying a drone on CoD give them eerily similar feelings?

I imagine as we push more towards VR we are going to be dealing with a lot of illness exacerbated by virtual environments, but possibly some helped by it (for example, a sort of virtual exposure therapy).
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19442 on: December 04, 2014, 07:56:44 PM »

Prepare for horror game ptsd as a future illness

JWK5
« Reply #19443 on: December 04, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »

Probably less horrific than what will come from the hentai games...

EDIT: That was not intended as a pun...
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19444 on: December 04, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »

OMG totally forgot about obvious genre of games Who, Me? ... at least fetishist will finally close their fantasy  Shrug can't wait for the bad parenting big titles in the news  Facepalm

JWK5
« Reply #19445 on: December 04, 2014, 08:49:39 PM »

Speaking of bad parenting, I am relatively sure VR will consume a lot more of a person's attention and sensory awareness so I can only imagine the levels of neglect that will bring. I've met people who get so wrapped up in games they basically tune their kids out and hours go by before they finally feed or even acknowledge them at all. It's scary to imagine how sucked in some people are going to get, and this "my virtual life" mentality that seems prevalent in MMOs is going to get that much worse, I'd wager.

On a side note, in our house we pretty much all play together. Unless I am up late with a bout of insomnia I really don't get down on many single player games any more. We have two screens with a two PS3s running and take advantage of the fact that any digital game you buy on the PSN can run on up to two PS3s, so we have two copies for the price of one. While I can imagine the novelty of being in the living room together all hooked up to VR there is something to be lost in terms of human connection. I notice that even in the difference between board games and video games, the board games seem to have a more intimate nature to them.

It will be interesting to see how this whole VR kick pans out and whether it will even make it past the novelty phase long enough to work its way into the mainstream.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19446 on: December 04, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »

BTW if you like game but now have kids and worry about screen, get a look at adafruit to make a mix of video games and visual toy! I think something will come out of this ! It might be silent revolution while people are looking at VR, a kind of reverse skylander things. The convergence of toy, board games, video games, and outside play.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #19447 on: December 04, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »

This post isn't worth a new thread.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19448 on: December 05, 2014, 02:06:51 AM »

wow

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19449 on: December 05, 2014, 03:26:23 AM »

Speaking of bad parenting, I am relatively sure VR will consume a lot more of a person's attention and sensory awareness so I can only imagine the levels of neglect that will bring. I've met people who get so wrapped up in games they basically tune their kids out and hours go by before they finally feed or even acknowledge them at all. It's scary to imagine how sucked in some people are going to get, and this "my virtual life" mentality that seems prevalent in MMOs is going to get that much worse, I'd wager.

i don't have kids but i pretty much only play games that don't require my full attention all the time these days, i.e. turnbased or "pausable realtime" games like crusader kings 2 or realtime games with short levels. dark souls/demon's souls are the only games i still regularly play that require me to be "in the zone".
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19450 on: December 05, 2014, 05:55:33 AM »

Yeah I find it hard to get the concentration to play hardcore shmups these days, even though I used to play them for years.  Maybe just getting old, or trying to conserve my mental energy for other crap ..
jiitype
« Reply #19451 on: December 05, 2014, 06:50:49 AM »

dat logo

JWK5
« Reply #19452 on: December 05, 2014, 09:32:32 AM »

I will wait a while for SFV (well after its release), it will take them a few iterations (super, turbo, ultra, etc.) before they finally make it the game they should have made it in the first place and release it as an "ultimate edition" (i.e. DLC collective).
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19453 on: December 05, 2014, 09:35:50 AM »

So apparently that reveal trailer was a leak.  Capcom has been asking people to take it down.  I guess they had it planned for Capcom Cup, which is in a week.

Whoops. Shrug

Anyway, I hope they go back to the series roots and make the game faster paced.  The slower paced nature of SF4 didn't really fit the series.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19454 on: December 05, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »

So apparently that reveal trailer was a leak.  Capcom has been asking people to take it down.  I guess they had it planned for Capcom Cup, which is in a week.

Whoops. Shrug

Anyway, I hope they go back to the series roots and make the game faster paced.  The slower paced nature of SF4 didn't really fit the series.
Agreed!
That why i didnt liked sf4 at all , just too slow
I can watch and enjoy but playing it , especially after a SF zero III in turbo mode , is wow
I was so disappointed , anyway we'll see what happens

Canned Turkey
« Reply #19455 on: December 05, 2014, 11:07:20 AM »

Do any of you get that empty feeling when you look into your coffee cup and see nothing?
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19456 on: December 05, 2014, 11:08:38 AM »

Not when I've got another cup waiting for me downstairs .. Well, hello there!
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19457 on: December 05, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »

It would have been awesome if they made the players fight a round of SFV "The Wizard" style.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19458 on: December 05, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »

http://www.twitch.tv/thegameawards/ This is starting in ~2 hours.  I'm hoping to see Keighley surfing a wave of mountian dew on a dorito themed surf board.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19459 on: December 05, 2014, 08:41:44 PM »

So The Game Awards are running long and everyone is complaining about everything, but I've really enjoyed them this year! I've had a genuine smile most of the time, except when Sony showed some weird stuff, but it's pretty successful in it's attempt to make an 'award show' that mixes the publishers, developers, fans, and indies instead of how it used to be with just one indie award. The line between commercial and trailer depends on your interest in the game at this point, the majority of people speaking have a really personal connect to what they're talking about, which is new and refreshing.

Guess real indies are doing Ludum Dare right now, but I think it's a good moment. And there still may be Zelda! Woo, Zelda! Kondo and Imagine Dragons are clashing pretty hard right now but there's room in the industry for both.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:55:26 PM by unsilentwill » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic