Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:24:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2326998 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19840 on: February 05, 2015, 07:04:44 AM »

The menu design is wonderful.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19841 on: February 05, 2015, 07:59:59 AM »

atlus knew it was my birthday and decided to give me a present.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #19842 on: February 05, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »

The menu design is wonderful.

pottering
« Reply #19843 on: February 05, 2015, 10:31:55 AM »

seems every single past instance of "indie-cheerleading" will be painted as "collusion" from now on
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19844 on: February 05, 2015, 02:11:50 PM »

moving to stockholm tomorrow

exciting

Ooh, why? Seems like a cool place to live.

because it's a cool place to live Smiley

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19845 on: February 05, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »

seems every single past instance of "indie-cheerleading" will be painted as "collusion" from now on

tbf criticism of the igf has been around for as long as ive been here, probably longer, including accusations of nepotism and etc. the problem is gamblergrate mostly doesn't know what theyre talking about and theyre not helping.

i mean ofc if you want to be cynical about this, every awards show is inevitably a circlejerk.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19846 on: February 05, 2015, 03:19:34 PM »

in other news i just randomly figured out how to play ornette coleman's "lonely woman" on guitar. probably in the wrong key, but hey it's a thing!
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19847 on: February 05, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »

Oh, love the menus.

I also like that it looks like they pared down the party members to just four - it sucked at the end of P4 when I just gave up on a bunch of playable characters to make sure I had one party with decent levels for the final boss.

This might be the game that makes me get a PS4.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19848 on: February 05, 2015, 03:34:58 PM »

warning 2 post ... oh well

because igf run by mostly white male = women's fault , logic

+ collusion in indie is collusion of value therefore is it collusion or is it community?

basically the indie movement was created as a reaction by like minded artist that regrouped to help each other create a place and a market, this have juge influence on the selection process, it is created with implicit metric and facility that reward certain kind of project way before tyhe awar happe.

teh perceive collusion is the result of this cultural attraction created by those value. They go to people whose work they like and support them, automatically this contact make friendship, which lead to appearance of collusion. It's also because there is little difference between judge and applier, everyone is a game maker, it quickly create a like minded community with shared value.

The problem is when applier have a different set of value, they trend to be frustrated simply because the way they judge thing will be different because the system was not created to support these values at all. Return to obra dinn will always be more interesting to this system than any achievement destiny will ever have.

Those value was created by a similar frustration toward the former very gated industry, dominated by money, big tech and market share, both by insider and outsider, those value where created as a reaction to that. The initial group did the heavy lift of carving a place by creating a narrative that is interesting enough to get above the noise and the gates. It was based on neo nostalgia (old game were better we should make games more like that) and art romantism (the personal touch and craftmanship) and allowed some games to pierce through the disdain wall, especially through championing one game as proof (cave story). The narrative has since change, but the IGF's value are still from this legacy and that is basically outsider who want a part of pie carved without them that are frustrated, in fact a lot of outsider benefit of the wind set by these pionner.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19849 on: February 05, 2015, 04:29:08 PM »

The narrative has since change, but the IGF's value are still from this legacy and that is basically outsider who want a part of pie carved without them that are frustrated, in fact a lot of outsider benefit of the wind set by these pionner.

(playing devils advocate, i don't actually care about this or have any stake in it. ive never entered anything into the IGF and have no interest to)

but does that make it ok for the "pioneers" to act in a cliquish and exclusionary way after it's no longer necessary? hardly anyone hates "indie games" today anymore.

because tbh this post sounds a bit like the defenses u hear when ppl talk about sexism problems in "gamer culture".
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19850 on: February 05, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »

also also "indie" has always meant different things to different people. it was never a "movement". a lot of people in the earlier days of tig didnt give a shit about "creating a market". remember that tig basically swallowed up a lot of smaller gamedev communities, so u had hobbyist/freeware devs alongside people with commercial ambitions. in my (subjective) view, indie only gained a commercial connotation later on.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19851 on: February 05, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »

It wasn't a movement but there is def a group who help push teh "agenda" hard like "if you are not indie fuck you" and "founding the igf", but yeah it's more an explanation than an excuse, I didn't pass value judgement. But it's different too, they aren't pushing anyone outside, however understand where the power dynamics are and why, is helpful.

It's different in sexism as there is no threat at all, and the fact women were always there and doing stuff, except they apre PURPOSELY being targeted and ACTIVELY push outside.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19852 on: February 05, 2015, 11:55:49 PM »

brown shooter 2.0 Well, hello there!

ThePrinceofBarchiness
Level 0

please call me barch

View Profile
« Reply #19853 on: February 06, 2015, 01:23:45 AM »

i really like this guy Gimym JIMBERT thanks for posting it
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19854 on: February 06, 2015, 03:08:33 AM »

he is 10000% right about control schemes. im seriously glad im not the only person who thinks this. id say it extends to HUD/UI design as well. every AAA game has the same "minimalist"  "immersive" HUD.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:39:27 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19855 on: February 06, 2015, 03:45:53 AM »

Super Bunnyhop doesn't only have x opinion. He's a really nice guy too.
I honestly think there will always be trends like this, because they've always been there. Whether it was 3d collect-a-thons, military shooters, or cinematic shooters there will be a following trend that we'll see A+ companies abuse.
The indie scene is nice in those regards.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19856 on: February 06, 2015, 05:38:27 AM »

I really like that video. It raises a few concerns I have faced in modern games. And I agree completely in regards to UI. I miss my over the top huds and shit. Thats what I still like about blizzard. Their UIs are delicious.

I honestly dislike most crafting systems and the character upgrades. They dont really mesh quite well with most games thta have them, they really dont integrate such a mechanic with the whole.

I have been replaying Super Metroid after reading the lovely series by Anatomy of Games, and good lord, it is true how many things do right. In particular the multiple and interesting used the weapons//tools have and how the already available skillset empower the player all the time. How the level design is tightly married with the whole game design and the narrative. The way the levels loop and the guiding signs become subtler and subtler is amazing.

I mention this because I have also been playing Arkham Asylum, and I am dissapointed to see how specific Batman toolset is. Most of them have only single purposes and dont from a cohesive experience in combat and stuff. I do not like how many modern games stricly gate the progress by placing a wall, in a way that doesnt make sense. When interestong combat involves a lot of clever utilization of your environment, most games just place fucking arena with gimmicks. The contextual actions often feel so stiff and makes you wonder why not just integrate more general purpose behaviors. Why do i need to unlock a fucking rpg skill to have btaman hang his vicitims on gargoyles. Why not just simply allow batman to use his fucking toolsit while having and expand on that. Why is the enemies condition (neervous, calm and shit) feel so irrelevant. kjzshgdf

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19857 on: February 06, 2015, 06:07:40 AM »

I mention this because I have also been playing Arkham Asylum, and I am dissapointed to see how specific Batman toolset is. Most of them have only single purposes and dont from a cohesive experience in combat and stuff. I do not like how many modern games stricly gate the progress by placing a wall, in a way that doesnt make sense.

tbh that's probably more a result of arkham asylum copying zelda than any specific modern game trends. otoh zelda itself has been getting worse about single-purpose items as well, the low point being the spinning disc thing in twilight princess.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19858 on: February 06, 2015, 09:10:08 AM »

god the spinning wheel, awesome in dungeon, anticipating using it everywhere and then, .... fuck that, i'm out

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19859 on: February 06, 2015, 09:55:53 AM »

Fair enough. I havent played anything from the GCN onwards. I did play Minish Cap tho, and over there many items had multiple uses (although many were a bit too specific in their multiple uses, like the cane of pacci).

Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic