Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:49:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2326972 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20380 on: March 31, 2015, 02:54:46 PM »

It's not hard to beat a typical fps in this regard. It has to occupy more ressources to independently navigate position and aim in a more complex space in the first place. That's why I also think we need something a little more advanced than the xbox360 controller. Btw. TrapThem not only busts a modern shooter but also every mario game. It is designed to enable full combinatory potential of a snes-like controller. How much you will make out of it is just depending on how creative you are in dynamic scenarios. But I never force impossible things, everything is in clean control and you have several options.

Unfortunately not everyone can make a good use of their thumbs like you suggest. So there has to be a native way to enable decent combinatory input amount at once. It shouldn't be a nerdy thing. A possible idea would be a controller splitted into 2 physical parts, something symmetric like two wii nunchucks, you are holding one in each hand. But every finger is resting on a dedicated button. That way you can natively combine any of them at your will, like a piano player.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20381 on: March 31, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »

Do you realize piano is hard right? Plus you can use it as a controller through midi interface (and adapt current game with input emulator like glove pie)

see here

see also: keyboard

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20382 on: March 31, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »

It is like a partial keyboard wrapped into your hands plus 2 thumbsticks. That's the major advantage to a (non blocking) keyboard. The thumbs are resting on thumbsticks, the other fingers on dedicated buttons. A simplified piano plus analog navigation, to put it that way. A real piano is harder than that.

Reason why that real piano playing is hard; There is no concept of a streamlined directional input. Once you get that you are left with just buttons, like on a controller, only you can press all of them in combination at your will.

But like I said, the realistic challenge remains to make a better game, not a better controller. The world has stuck with xbox360 controller clones, at least for a while. You have to look how to put it to good use.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:18:11 PM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20383 on: March 31, 2015, 04:40:31 PM »

the world has moved to touch screen, hardcore gamer and traditional dev didn't had the memo

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20384 on: March 31, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »

There is the mobile space, and there is the home console space. Home consoles are still using regular controllers (ignoring Nintendo and failed kinect).

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20385 on: March 31, 2015, 05:21:58 PM »

that's ignoring a lot  Shrug . Kinect was great but suffered lazy dev (never provided the correct feedback) and lag (30hz is not enough for the stupid dev implementation of stupid 1:1 move as if you need to literally ninja your way into a game  Facepalm 200hz was needed 120 at least 60 is acceptable). In fact those where solved by eyetoys game on ps2 in the sega superstar compilation, having a small video vignette with clearly label interaction zone and feedback allow you to have great control. The wii balance board had such a feedback with a vignette and labeled area of interest and immediate signalling ...  Outraged But given that modern game have 3 frames of input lag already (unless it's nintendo) or more (gta series) it's truly nothing to do with kinect but lazy ass dev  Apoplectic
Even on touchscreen they don't provide auditory feedback to have the strength of input signaling itself with over trespassing of limits, something that where lacking in wii motion game too, fucking nes game used this trick to similate fucking analog on fucking binary input, it's fucking effective fucking laszy dev Y U NO LEARN GAMEDESIGN!!!!! STFU U LAZY U BAD!!!! Mock Anger

lazy dev, ruining video games with one stupid old conventions at the time.  Angry

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20386 on: April 01, 2015, 04:09:20 AM »

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2012/04/01/semantic-game-builder-interface-to-be-integrated-into-unity/

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20387 on: April 01, 2015, 04:20:31 AM »

that's so 2012
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20388 on: April 01, 2015, 05:09:22 AM »

It's actually a shockingly apt description of a unity prototype i'm currently working on

Also, sadly, the little jape at the end of the post is no less true in my opinion:
 “Sure, this kind of democratization means that there will be some, or maybe quite a lot of games made that are very similar, without a lot of originality or vision – but then again that’s already the current state of the industry anyway.”

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20389 on: April 01, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »

But realistically speaking, the less precise your description is the less accurate the realization of the game will be. And we all know that tiny details can already make or break a game. The most precise description that produces a game remains the code itself.

But seeing 1000 greenlight submissions per day is certainly a bad trend.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20390 on: April 01, 2015, 05:52:13 AM »

But realistically speaking, the less precise your description is the less accurate the realization of the game will be. And we all know that tiny details can already make or break a game. The most precise description that produces a game remains the code itself.

But seeing 1000 greenlight submissions per day is certainly a bad trend.

I did some Greenlight voting today, of the 30'ish titles I reviewed, all of them were derivative garbage, the worst part is, they will probably all be getting sold to me via Steam soon

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20391 on: April 01, 2015, 06:28:13 AM »

It's actually a shockingly apt description of a unity prototype i'm currently working on

Also, sadly, the little jape at the end of the post is no less true in my opinion:
 “Sure, this kind of democratization means that there will be some, or maybe quite a lot of games made that are very similar, without a lot of originality or vision – but then again that’s already the current state of the industry anyway.”

Hey I plan to make that semantic bullshit at whatever form it's possible someday

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20392 on: April 01, 2015, 06:35:31 AM »

Good plan for a lazy dev.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20393 on: April 01, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »

make a game check fail is anything but lazy, it stress all the design knowledge and their application to a limit Tongue

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20394 on: April 01, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »

Make sure your design knowledge isn't too great, otherwise you might end up pushing the lazy button for business.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20395 on: April 01, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »

Oh, god. Remember discussing these creepy and crappy videos on YouTube? Now one of them was actually promoted to me in an ad on top of my search results.

jiitype
« Reply #20396 on: April 01, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »

JOHNY JOHNY YES PAPA EATING SUGAR NO PAPA

I love those videos
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20397 on: April 01, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »

I SAID MEANING IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE IN GAMES?

God I can't take that back because it's so true, I thought that transitioning from narrative to gameplay would ease the cognitive grind ... NOPE ... Try translating abstract concept into convincing gameplay FRAMING (so not yet gameplay itself) and you must fit both the culture you depict AND the mythos you build inside that culture ... drive me crazy  Crazy It wouldn't be so difficult if I hadn't so many constrain, and I'm sure the end result will have people going "so what?"  Screamy it won't be any spectacular  Undecided

But then I have 1/8th of it so i'm progressing  Coffee

EDIT:
Here is an exercise for you fellow dev, took all the non interactive cinematic of the last of us and turn them in a convincing gameplay who have the same narrative goals, functions and impacts.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:36:46 PM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20398 on: April 01, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »

How about you work on your narrative skills if you care about narrative so much.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20399 on: April 01, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »

I care about culture on this game. It's a Caribbean game that's what makes hard so far, because the caraibeaness should not be just a skin I slap on it like we usually do.

edit:
BTW I'll certainly do a game to implement narrative-gameplay idea I got since 10 years, but I need the right story, formalism doesn't give you that.

Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic