Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:45:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327262 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #20400 on: April 01, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »

Absolutely random and slightly off topic interjection here. I have had an idea in my head for the past few days and want the feedback of people, preferably J-Snake, since he seems to like control scheme ideas.

My thought is one about redefining the FPS control scheme. Basically, the left analog stick controls forward and backwards motion, but not strafing. instead, the x axis of that analog stick controls the rotation of the player, à la Metroid Prime. Then, the y axis of the right analog stick is used to define the vertical angle of the camera. And I mean define, not modify. think of how looking up/down works in first person Zelda, except mapped to the right analog stick. The right x axis might or might not allow you to strafe, I'm not sure if that's a good idea yet. You could lock/unlock the vertical camera rotation by pressing the right analog stick, where locked mode would simply prevent the camera from returning to its neutral position.

Thoughts?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20401 on: April 01, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »

That's how golden eye works more or less, this mode is accessible in halo too. The define vertical might have a problem of resolution (precision) but then why not try this in a prototype, it takes very little to implement in modern 3D engine. Might not work as a generic replacement for FPS game in general, but a single game around this might fly. Strafe is important for small adjustment, trust me.

Edit: this might fly on a vehicule based game (strafe removal included)

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #20402 on: April 01, 2015, 03:48:26 PM »

That's how golden eye works more or less, this mode is accessible in halo too. The define vertical might have a problem of resolution (precision) but then why not try this in a prototype, it takes very little to implement in modern 3D engine. Might not work as a generic replacement for FPS game in general, but a single game around this might fly. Strafe is important for small adjustment, trust me.

Edit: this might fly on a vehicule based game (strafe removal included)

I like the vehicle mode idea! I will take a look at my options for a quick engine prototype and see if it works well enough!

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20403 on: April 01, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »

mouse and keyboard you console scrubs

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20404 on: April 01, 2015, 04:59:33 PM »

The only potential advantage I see is the mapping speed of the vertical aim. Like mentioned it might suffer precision problems. You have to try. Also note that many shooters benefit more from a horizontal turn than from a vertical aim. So the potential benefit also depends on how vertical your game is. But strafing is important, except you want to limit mobility on purpose. A more intuitive alternative, which is functionally almost equivalent, would be using the left thumb for regular moving and the right thumb for horizontal rotation and the vertical mapping. That ideally requires a square thumbspace for the right stick. Otherwise horizontal turns can hinder aiming vertical. Usually the vertical angle in action is small though. So it might be worth checking that out.

But what's the motivation and the goal behind the controls?. If it is to increase the overall navigation speed a significant improvement can be gained just by adding a 180-turn button. Feel free to take it into consideration.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:08:08 PM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #20405 on: April 01, 2015, 05:29:49 PM »

jiitype
« Reply #20406 on: April 01, 2015, 08:40:44 PM »

Interesting https://steamy.io/ "a fresh take on discovering, playing, and distributing adult games" Well, hello there!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20407 on: April 01, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »

mouse and keyboard you console scrubs
lolno.

Mouse and keyboard are the primary reason I haven't played any games on my computer for like a decade or more until I got myself USB and Bluetooth controllers last year.

Mouse and keyboard makes it feel like it's not a real game to me. \0/

WOOH preferences

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20408 on: April 02, 2015, 03:49:51 AM »

u dont even play fps tho

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20409 on: April 02, 2015, 03:58:53 AM »

lol r u 14 y o

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20410 on: April 02, 2015, 04:01:48 AM »

I would be if I thought an xbox controller could possibly do the genre justice!

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20411 on: April 02, 2015, 05:07:15 AM »

Doom didn't have mouse controls. Quake does. Would you say Quake is better than Doom?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20412 on: April 02, 2015, 05:26:13 AM »

eh yeah definitely
and especially in how it controls which is the only relevant part here

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20413 on: April 02, 2015, 06:30:00 AM »

lol i mean palying da genre at all

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20414 on: April 02, 2015, 06:42:43 AM »

Nunchuck + mice is teh way to go pals

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20415 on: April 02, 2015, 07:55:51 AM »

Doom didn't have mouse controls. Quake does. Would you say Quake is better than Doom?

doom was a 2d game tho

anyway the best controller would be a snes wiimote gamecube virtual boy with a built in fart sensor
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20416 on: April 02, 2015, 08:26:04 AM »

doom was a 2d game tho

anyway the best controller would be a snes wiimote gamecube virtual boy with a built in fart sensor

Huh that's sony's morpheus + move

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20417 on: April 02, 2015, 08:59:13 AM »

oh btw doom actually DID have mouse support. i prefer the level design in doom over quake tho.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20418 on: April 02, 2015, 09:06:49 AM »

Nothing beats mouse for mapping angular movement so far, that means aiming for your fps. But it also requires more movement. It's more comfortable to sit just with a controller in the hand.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20419 on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:34 AM »

I actually like Doom better than Quake too, but I guess the comparison shouldn't be made within the argument of first person shooters. Doom doesn't have the same control scheme modern console FPS have.
Quake is a closer competitor to the modern FPS mouselook, but Quake didn't have iron sights. Quake also was still very much a game about projectile evasion unlike modern FPS. At this point, FPS are all about point-and-click and timing your cover. The older ones had much more actual action in the dynamics.

Also fuck April fool's.

Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic