Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:12:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2312214 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20680 on: April 20, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »

smb 3 = mario galaxy
smb w = mario 3d world

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20681 on: April 20, 2015, 11:24:36 AM »

and the same is true for crysis to an extent (crysis sold WELL but its sales were not even close to the Halo/CoD range)
I enjoyed Crytek's Far Cry a lot more. It's in a leage of its own. The problem with Crysis is that everything that made Far Cry so great (atmosphere, AI, action design of the Trigens etc.) is missing in Crysis. It is only advertising the coolness of the nanosuit but has not much going to back it up.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20682 on: April 20, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »

i've never played either actually.

but i did play far cry 2 which had some interesting ideas but suffered from typical ubisoft bs.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20683 on: April 20, 2015, 01:25:22 PM »

I highly recommend to play the original Far Cry. It is a different game and has been created with a different mindset. It is the only Far Cry that was made by the former Crytek team, who did a truly respectable job. It was only published by ubisoft back then before they bought the rights to own it. I usually don't enjoy campaign shooters, Far Cry was the only shooter I enjoyed replaying several times. The last quarter of the game tends to be messed up but before that you might enjoy an awesome ride.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20684 on: April 20, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »

it's been on my backlog forever. ill play it when i have time.
JWK5
« Reply #20685 on: April 22, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »

Had to go to the hospital today, I hate going to the hospital (can't just go to the doctors because despite having insurance and despite calling consistently no doctors anywhere within a 2 hour or less drive are taking new patients). A factor of my mental disability is that I don't physically express pain or emotion very well, even despite feeling it inside. So when I tell the doctors I am in a lot of pain but don't show it they underestimate how serious it is.

For example, when my spine ruptured the first time I went in they just said "It's probably a pulled muscle" and sent me on my way. I went back in the next day and they did an x-ray and immediately rushed me to another hospital in an ambulance for an emergency spinal surgery. They said had I moved wrong in any way I would have ended up paralyzed from the neck down or dead.

The other problem is, much like my mother, I am highly resistant to painkillers, novocaine, anesthetics, alcohol, etc. It takes an obscene amount of alcohol to get me even just buzzed and I actually woke up part way through my surgery (which I warned the doctors would probably happen, they ignored me until it happened).

So today's visit (which I made due to near-crippling pain from costochondritis and neuropathy) went as it always does. Here's some painkillers (which don't work on me), here's some naproxen, get a primary care doctor (I've been trying to for almost a year now), and good luck.

So very frustrating and hopeless feeling. I feel like I am trapped in the medical system's purgatory.

On the upside, waiting rooms are the perfect time to explore ideas on paper, so I did a bunch of that.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20686 on: April 22, 2015, 01:12:09 PM »

What happened to your genes?

This should go in the hugs thread instead, 'cause you deserve a hug.

*here's a hug*

JWK5
« Reply #20687 on: April 22, 2015, 01:20:05 PM »

What happened to your genes?
It's a curse but also a blessing. Because I don't express emotion very well when something tragic or terrifying happens, like a death in the family for example, I don't outwardly show my sadness so I am able to be supportive to those who do. I can handle very tense situations fairly calmly and endure a lot more pain than most without buckling.

Also, because I am so tolerant to painkillers and such, I don't have much of a risk of becoming addicted to them because they just don't work. Even marijuana and other recreational drugs are about useless on me.

I am as thankful for it all as I am lamenting of it all, but right now I am just hitting my limits.

This should go in the hugs thread instead, 'cause you deserve a hug.

*here's a hug*
Thanks. Smiley I had actually thought I had posted this in "Human Hugs" but apparently I clicked the wrong forum.
Conker
« Reply #20688 on: April 22, 2015, 01:33:56 PM »

Thats tough and has to be stressful, take a hug from me too
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20689 on: April 22, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »

I am kind of like that, except I do cry a lot too. But I don't talk. I mostly keep to myself when bad things happen.

I don't experience a lot of pain, tho, so I don't know how my body would deal with it or painkillers. I'm usually very healthy and the worst I get is headaches which I tend to ignore and wait out because I don't want to use pills if I don't have to (sometimes all I need is a cup of coffee or some ice-cream to fix it). But that's not exactly migraine either (even tho I called it that to stay home from school when I was too depressed to go back in the day).

But I'm not the one to enunciate shrieks of pain. I seem to have learned to say 'ow' tho because I often say it as a reflex when I think I might hit something even before I hit, which is evident when sometimes I don't even end up actually hitting anything. I don't know if I used to do that.

JWK5
« Reply #20690 on: April 22, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »

Well, I suppose on the up side there is that Lao Tzu saying that goes something along the lines of "Those who know don't speak, those who speak don't know".

As for the "ow" reflex, that is actually pretty common. Your body instinctively braces itself for a fall or impact often before your conscious awareness even has time to catch up with it. Jolts of pain or "near misses" tend to trigger immediate profanity from me rather than "ow", lol. It's when I am quiet that you know it is serious.

If you ever need to vent a bad day but don't have the words for it in person, the human hugs forum here is a good place to let it go. It is surprising how much people can care, even despite not knowing you well or not being anywhere near you. Empathy and mirror neurons are a potent healer.

Thats tough and has to be stressful, take a hug from me too
Thanks. Smiley It is, but having support from people that care is more effective than any painkiller would be anyways. Even when I don't have the energy to keep going it is the good people around me (literally and friends online) that give me that push to keep going. So it's not all doom and gloom, just a momentary hurdle.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20691 on: April 22, 2015, 10:50:25 PM »

As for the "ow" reflex, that is actually pretty common. Your body instinctively braces itself for a fall or impact often before your conscious awareness even has time to catch up with it. Jolts of pain or "near misses" tend to trigger immediate profanity from me rather than "ow", lol. It's when I am quiet that you know it is serious.
It's just I'm pretty sure I didn't have it as a kid, kind of adopting it as a social thing rather than a natural reflex later.

I don't think I do it when I'm alone.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20692 on: April 23, 2015, 07:06:30 AM »

pain makes reptile brain angry and anger makes body want to be loud to discourage possible attacker, maybe also punch something.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20693 on: April 23, 2015, 07:18:15 AM »

I don't get angry. I only get sad.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #20694 on: April 23, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »

I think I've learned something hugely valuable this Ludum Dare. Essentially, I've learned not to work on a game unless I have enough time to really get into it, otherwise I get distracted, lost and frustrated. I tried fixing the ball bouncing in my game this week and I've not had a lot of time, which has lead to more confusion and unwanted code modification than anything remotely positive. Basically I've learned to only invest quality time into my games and not just any half hour I get. This will probably also justify doing more homework, which is likely to help my grades go up.

JWK5
« Reply #20695 on: April 23, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »

I learned don't take it serious. Try, fail, but have fun. Even if you don't wind up creating anything useful you might learn something new. I've yet to make it through LD but each time I've found out a few tricks to help out with future projects.

On another note, I found out my son (age 6) and 2 other kids bullied another kid at school today so we have to call the school tomorrow and let them know (as the bullied child may not be telling anyone what happened). My son himself had been bullied at school, so it is pretty disappointing especially since one of the two kids had been bullying my son and others in the months prior (and the school is about at the end of their rope with this kid). I guess my son had been pushing the kid and one of the other kids was punching the kid while the third (who had previously been bullying my son) was cheering them on and had put them up to it (I guess rather than risk getting in trouble for bullying he is now recruiting other kids to do it for him). We found out because our daughter caught the incident and let us know.

Punishments just don't work, especially where bullying is concerned, they only make kids afraid of getting caught not afraid of acting on bad impulses (they get more sneaky not better behaved). So aside from explaining to him he will have to account for his actions and make amends with the school and the child he bullied, and explaining to him that I do not want to share my belongings (namely, the PS3 he enjoys playing) with someone who is mean to others and who lies to me so he will have to earn my trust back before I will let him use my belongings again, I sat down with him and started a superhero comic today.

My son really likes superheroes and video games, so we discussed what makes a hero and what makes a villain in video games and comics as we created our comic and I was able to get him to understand why what he did was hurtful and not a good thing to do through those examples and references. We will work on a new page each day and discuss it so that concepts will be reinforced and committed to memory. It is hopefully a much more positive way to redirect his behavior.

I never realized my enjoyment of games, comics, etc. would one day serve as a tool for connection and teaching my child how to be a better person. I guess they've had more of a positive impact on me than I thought.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:40:29 PM by JWK5 » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20696 on: April 23, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »

Ha cool, using super hero to teach lesson, they are the modern myth anyway!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20697 on: April 24, 2015, 12:20:13 AM »

Heh, interesting you should mention that in the same post as LD, as bullying was the theme of my LD game.

Watched a documentary and looked up some depressing statistics while doing so, and of course I have my own memories of this kind of stuff, so it's always saddening to hear about.

Can't say I'm sure what the best actions would be, but spending some quality time trying to teach him about stuff in this immersive way is an interesting idea. Just make sure your hero isn't Batman who beats the shit out of everyone anyway, because then I think the lesson is going to pass him right by. Wink

Just don't get so caught up in it you forget your daughter, I guess.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #20698 on: April 24, 2015, 04:37:08 AM »

And they say games are a waste of time. I just wish more people understood their power for teaching lessons like that, including developpers.

Garrent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20699 on: April 24, 2015, 05:27:47 AM »

Do "funny" steam reviews count towards the overall rating?

Somebody on reddit a few days ago said it didn't which confused me since I'm not sure how they'd work out the threshold.
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic