Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:19:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327395 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20900 on: May 04, 2015, 01:16:38 PM »

Well rounded person question stuff and thus create imbalance, uncertainty, discussion, dissension therefore disagreement ... society need people that just does the shit so it run itself smoothly ... society need bioroids, let's start the project olympus! (too much appleseed, I have just seen all animes and manga at once YOU CAN TELL).

People don't want to be well rounded, they want to be happy and not bothered, catered too ...

More seriously, it will be fun to see how the advancement in Robots and AI change the physical and cognitive labor market!

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20901 on: May 04, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »

More seriously, it will be fun to see how the advancement in Robots and AI change the physical and cognitive labor market!
Wait for self-driving cars. If it succeeds then we can talk.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20902 on: May 04, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »

It's not a matter of if and it's a matter of when ...

There is so many society changing tech just around the mainstream corner ...

We need a clear breakthrough in energy too yo fossile can't go too long anymore, hydrogen is dangerous for car, the yield of renewable are pitiful ... infrastructure inertia is a problem too, need off grid energy collecting.

JWK5
« Reply #20903 on: May 04, 2015, 05:26:33 PM »

See what I mean with a blurry memory? It takes some time for me to invoke childhood memories. Had to write this all up just to realise that. <_> It's really scary.

Memories are not a photo taken by a camera, they are like a fading chalk drawing that has to be partially redrawn every time you look at it. Our current emotions and situations warp our memories every time we recall them. Rarely will you hold an entire event for long, but sometimes you're lucky enough to retain pieces. That is where a journal can be handy, you can voice a memory with an emotion fairly close to when it happened and with a lot less "filling in the blanks". Most memories are pretty blurry, it is just that most people don't take the time to look at the picture long enough to realize it, they see vaguely what they want at the time and assume it is what happened. So if your memories are blurry and hard to recall at least you know it is likely that pieces are still intact, which is the best most of us can hope for.

I don't know my blood father he left when I was 1, and I could care less about the misc. abusive assholes my mother was married to at various times (I don't hold it against her, life and love are confusing), but the man I consider my father died a few years back. I only vaguely remember events about him even though he's only been gone for a few years, but I do remember the things he taught me very clearly. He was never the most social person, and didn't tend to show his feelings, but he was decent to people and made a lot of sacrifices for others. It is what I respected about him most, it is what I remember most.

You might be surprised to find that if you think more about what you learned from someone (and I don't even mean directly) you will recall it with a lot more clarity than what you remember about them (i.e. the details of who they were). We live on through what we give, what we teach. Who we were fades rather quickly (there's only so much the mind can retain before it needs to start creating shortcuts or letting information go) but what we stand for and what mattered to us (for better or worse) can last throughout the ages.

I am very sorry for your loss, but it sounds like under the surface a lot was planted so maybe the gains just take time to grow and bloom.

According to a recent study, just as you can’t step in the same river twice, your memories are changed by the act of recalling them, meaning that every memory we have is colored by the times we’ve recollected it before.The research, conducted by Northwestern Medicine and published this week in the Journal of Neuroscience, shows that recalling a memory more often makes that memory less accurate, and that every time you take a memory off the shelf in your brain, you put it back just a tiny bit different.

That’s because instead of remembering the actual memory, you’re recalling the memory of the last time you remembered it and any mistakes that might have been introduced there. Like a game of human telephone, those mistakes can build on one another over time, leaving out details and introducing mistakes.

When the results were analysed, the researchers found that participants were much more likely to remember some sorts of details than others. The 'what', 'where' and 'who' were commonly remembered. Other details -- what the participants were thinking at the time, the weather and their age -- were less likely to be recalled. The time of day the event took place or what they were wearing were even less likely to be recalled.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:36:15 PM by JWK5 » Logged
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #20904 on: May 04, 2015, 07:46:17 PM »

http://swordorwhip.com/

color me intrigued
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20905 on: May 04, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »

come back later

U0001f627

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20906 on: May 05, 2015, 12:31:26 AM »

@prinsessa: aw that's sad Sad

i feel for you. my father isn't dead but im estranged from him. i literally havent seen him in more than 10 years.
I'm estranged from my mother and sister since he died for various reasons tho so I'm pretty much on my own anyway. Huh? So I know that feeling too. It hurts pretty bad meeting the normal families of my partners or friends.

jiitype
« Reply #20907 on: May 05, 2015, 01:22:28 AM »

He passed away when I was 15 and I feel like my memory has been blurry and blocked of him in many ways since then, so I really don't know why it never really happened. But it wasn't because he wouldn't take me, but more possibly because I was lazy and didn't want to, but I can't understand that from my current self. I feel so extremely disconnected from who I was then and I literally have holes in my memory and it feels like an entirely different person. The me of today would bug him to go do cool stuff all the time (and I have on my own in later years done a lot of that stuff) so it's really weird not to know or remember why that was.

My mom died when I was 15 and I almost wish I could forget she ever existed... it just hurts so much to think about. Kinda interesting how you feel like a different person and it's the opposite for me. I wish I could just move on.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20908 on: May 05, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »

Some thoughts about the education. My experience is based on Finland school system.

I think that Finnish system for elementary school (from 7-16) is pretty good as it is. Sure, some teachers were bad, and many kids didn't find some of the classes interesting. While school can always improve I think most of the time it is more about kids and their family and upbringing which affect how well kid learns. Also, I find it unrealistic that every kid is interested in everything. I also find it unrealistic to have a tailored program for everyone (costs a lot). Besides the point of elementary school is to give everyone the most basic foundation. However, I agree that inspirational teachers are really good thing but then again many people find different kinds of things inspirational.

Lately here in Finland there has been trend that parents seem to think that school should upbring their children and complain about everything to teachers even on topics which seem to be more about their own responsibility. Thinking back to my old class mates it really feels like that with most "problem kids" there was some problems in their family which school couldn't really fix.

After elementary school kids can make the choice of going to either vocational school or "high school" ("lukio" is kinda like that but not exactly) which lasts 3 years. After lukio one can then apply either to university or university of applied sciences.

---

If I had to name a single thing which I think should be emphasized in education (and which I never was taught explicitly) is the scientific method and thinking based on evidence. Considering how the future of the humanity and most of the societies are reliant on technology and science I find it appalling and scary how poorly people understand it. I don't mean that everyone should be a scientists but it'd help a lot if everyone would really understand what the science is all about and what an evidence means.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20909 on: May 05, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »

Shocked holy shit the end! This + photogrammetry  WTF

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20910 on: May 05, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »

Also, I find it unrealistic that every kid is interested in everything. I also find it unrealistic to have a tailored program for everyone (costs a lot).
That's not what I meant. I just mean teachers need to be able not only to recognise when certain kids can't learn as easily a certain way, but also to give them attention and cater to them. And courses should be planned from the start not to have a tailored course for everyone, but to have a course that is tailored for everyone, so to speak; to make sure the curriculum is making use of all the pedagogic and scientific (or whatever the subject is) tools at our disposal.

Besides the point of elementary school is to give everyone the most basic foundation.
Which I think is a reason that schools can afford putting in longer classes with time to engage the students and get work done, since not every detail about everything has to be taught anyway.

Lately here in Finland there has been trend that parents seem to think that school should upbring their children and complain about everything to teachers even on topics which seem to be more about their own responsibility.
Seems to be a trend in many places.

If I had to name a single thing which I think should be emphasized in education (and which I never was taught explicitly) is the scientific method and thinking based on evidence. Considering how the future of the humanity and most of the societies are reliant on technology and science I find it appalling and scary how poorly people understand it. I don't mean that everyone should be a scientists but it'd help a lot if everyone would really understand what the science is all about and what an evidence means.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say in case that didn't get through. "Scientific literacy", it's called. Not just a way to make everyone a scientist, but to give everyone the tools to question and think critically not to be fooled by charlatans preying on their ignorance.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20911 on: May 05, 2015, 02:08:12 PM »

If nothing else, I wish all people could understand the difference between "proving" something and failing to disprove the null hypothesis.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #20912 on: May 05, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »

Some of the earliest forms of self influenced learning I gave myself was when the teachers handed kids candy or stickers as a reward system. I intentionally did not do anything right, so they couldn't give it to me.  This way I could avoid looking like an animal scrounging for treats and praises. Grin
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20913 on: May 05, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »

damn
Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20914 on: May 05, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »

This video just blew my mind:

Brb cloning it.  Durr...?
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20915 on: May 06, 2015, 04:05:38 AM »

damn
Ever heard of kinect? Same thing.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20916 on: May 06, 2015, 08:06:41 AM »

1. you don't get it
2. kinect IS photogrammetry

The gist is that you can get surface elasticity from a 2d video

>>>> you can get it from photogrammetry
>>>> hence you can infer the volumetric soft physics at each points of the captured volumes

Ie you won't just capture the volume of the body, you can also capture it's softness, therefore reproduce the elasticity of the skin, which is something to add on top of susbtance capture (aka pbr textures), that's literally complete capture

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20917 on: May 06, 2015, 08:12:13 AM »

the sound recording from silent video is going to make espionage even easier
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20918 on: May 06, 2015, 08:14:39 AM »

It will also make old video usable for forensics, it open a new can of worm ...

see 2001 odissey de l'espace with hal reading lips? now with any obscure case ever caught on tapes ... Who, Me?

The technics has room to improve by selective cancelation based on point distance to emitter, triangulation of sound emitter based on frequency decay through space, maybe even slight 3D reconsructions on single image base on decay of sound.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20919 on: May 06, 2015, 09:01:08 AM »

as far as i understood the presentation you can't just take any old video and extract the sound from it. it has to be a high speed and high res recording to get any sort of clarity. can't anaylze information that isn't there. Tongue

also i should say that optical sound isnt in itself anything new. that's what movietone (the sound playback method for analog film) is. there were also optical discs, such as the ones used in

. any recorded vibration in any medium can be converted to sound.

Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic