Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:41:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1065 1066 [1067] 1068 1069 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327227 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #21320 on: May 26, 2015, 04:59:48 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks that the face motion of Half-Life 2 is better than most of the face motion capture technology of today?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21321 on: May 26, 2015, 05:06:02 AM »

Why the fuck I wrote "women" specifically WTF I meant actors, I may have multiple stream of thought at the same time when I wrote that and they collided

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21322 on: May 26, 2015, 05:09:21 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks that the face motion of Half-Life 2 is better than most of the face motion capture technology of today?
Half-Life 2 is pretty flat compared to Crysis 3, for example.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21323 on: May 26, 2015, 05:12:33 AM »

Why the fuck I wrote "women" specifically WTF I meant actors, I may have multiple stream of thought at the same time when I wrote that and they collided
You act as if it is your first time people try to decode your message. Be focused.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21324 on: May 26, 2015, 05:12:49 AM »

And people shouldn't underestimate the rapid cost spiraling down of CGI. There are more and more tools and power to achieve that, soon it will be in your laptop and you won't bat an eyes. Cost of real life capture have cheapen greatly (photogramettry + physically based lighting + HDR probes + real time Global illumination), animation's techniques and best practices also spread down.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21325 on: May 26, 2015, 05:51:41 AM »

yeah i still remeber the first time i saw alyx. i shat bricks when she smiled at me so naturally. it was such a leap in technology for me.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21326 on: May 26, 2015, 05:57:43 AM »

And people shouldn't underestimate the rapid cost spiraling down of CGI. There are more and more tools and power to achieve that, soon it will be in your laptop and you won't bat an eyes. Cost of real life capture have cheapen greatly (photogramettry + physically based lighting + HDR probes + real time Global illumination), animation's techniques and best practices also spread down.
Hey, just a question. If you could teleport once in time, which year would you choose? I guess you want to see some break through in technology and habits, so maybe a future point in time?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21327 on: May 26, 2015, 06:13:11 AM »

http://www.openculture.com/2015/05/animation-inspired-by-moebius-syd-mead-hayao-miyazaki.html

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21328 on: May 26, 2015, 06:13:42 AM »

and for some reason cheap microphones remain terrible

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21329 on: May 26, 2015, 06:38:25 AM »

hm? you can get a lot out of a cheap mic if you use it right. you can even get acceptable quality out of smartphone mics these days.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21330 on: May 26, 2015, 06:51:52 AM »

a year ago i bought one and while it was not like the worst ever, the quality was still quite subpar IMO, at least for voice acting (not that I have a great voice, but I need a moderate quality placeholder for a project of mine).

In truth it was mostly a joke regarding that the costs for quality stuff is reducing so dramatically (at least for us third worlders it isnt quite yet)

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21331 on: May 26, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »

We're talking about the cost of digital goods, not analog goods.
Analog hardware in regards to things like sound will probably always remain as expensive as it is today. Simply because it's usually sheer materials you're paying for, not so much technology.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21332 on: May 26, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »

ah, fair enough then

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21333 on: May 26, 2015, 07:20:43 AM »

In that regard I feel joypads got even worse over time. It feels like a rare catch to get a decently working one. There is always something flawed, often the 8-way directionals.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21334 on: May 26, 2015, 07:57:28 AM »

http://i.imgur.com/UPcmC7b.gif

For cgi use , some french board noticed the whip girl disappearence and appearence
Look carefully the gif , it's insane
I thought the whipp were real XD
No need to mock the girl in the right , at this point nothing can't be saved (seriously they can't pay for real combattant to make great fighting scenes ? Facepalm )

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21335 on: May 26, 2015, 08:18:26 AM »

Ye it's a pity most fight scenes in GoT is just people swinging like mad and a lot of cuts.
It's actually a sad trend in movies, where LOL SUPER DYNAMIC EDITING substitutes for martial artists and stuntmen.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21336 on: May 26, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »

Ha! Animation trick!

@Streaming stuf
http://www.geek.com/games/microsoft-cuts-cloud-game-streaming-bandwidth-by-over-80-1623534/

M$ cut down remote game streaming (think onlive) by 80%.

I have been thinking a lot about how to reduce the load myself, precisely like them, on sharing process between the client and the cloud.

1- You send a single rendered texture 60 times per second (that's how it works now)
2- you pre compute stuff on cloud and let the client finish the jobs. (m$ ways)

The problem with 2 is that what does you pre compute?

1- You could pre compute positions (physics and ai) and let the client only do graphism, doesn't exactly remove the load from the client given modern graphism.
2- You precompute lighting, you don't need frame dependant update and the update frequency is lower, but still is a big data and still heavy load on the clients and bandwidth.
3- You precompute vertex matrices, LOD, occlusions (baszed on overdraw) and send the polygon soup, not sure the gain is significant, although you could run further optimization on the mesh that can hide camera dependent feature.
4- you stream textures, but hdd and bd are magnitude order faster than the internet and we still have pops.

My problem is that demoing doom3 isn't exactly the best case to showcase this tech as it's low requirement by today standard and a lot of mobile can run it locals without sweating at all.

@netsu

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21337 on: May 26, 2015, 08:22:25 AM »

a year ago i bought one and while it was not like the worst ever, the quality was still quite subpar IMO, at least for voice acting (not that I have a great voice, but I need a moderate quality placeholder for a project of mine).

In truth it was mostly a joke regarding that the costs for quality stuff is reducing so dramatically (at least for us third worlders it isnt quite yet)

ya but things like recording technique, production and the actual physical room you're in are very important in audio recording. a mic alone doesn't make your recordings sound professional. i did a voice recording in a state of the art radio studio once and even then i had to do a lot of post production and editing on it to make it sound good.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21338 on: May 26, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »

ya but things like recording technique, production and the actual physical room you're in are very important in audio recording. a mic alone doesn't make your recordings sound professional. i did a voice recording in a state of the art radio studio once and even then i had to do a lot of post production and editing on it to make it sound good.
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=diy%20sound%20booth&oq=diy%20sound%20&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.5111j0j7

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21339 on: May 26, 2015, 08:31:17 AM »

@netsu

Oh yeah, I know that one, very relevant Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 1065 1066 [1067] 1068 1069 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic