Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:12:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2312036 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21340 on: May 26, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »

@netsu

wow super interesting video
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21341 on: May 26, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »

@streaming stuff
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/alecw/mobisys-2015-kahawai.pdf

the actual paper ... I just read the abstract as now ...

And I smack my head for not having thought of this before ... they use the image frequency property to allow dual rendering and limit data, basically syncing the server and the client rendering. Clever! Basically you render low res version of the data on the client gpu (low frequency) and only send the partial high frequency contribution made the rendering. Color can stay up to 10 times lower res as seen by jpeg style compression, so most data come from luminance (aka lighting information) which is just one channel ... and we can further compute low frequency light on the client too, leaving only small difference to be compute and transmitted.

If you are not familiar to the technical aspect, here is this very simple explanation:

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21342 on: May 26, 2015, 09:45:58 AM »

a year ago i bought one and while it was not like the worst ever, the quality was still quite subpar IMO, at least for voice acting (not that I have a great voice, but I need a moderate quality placeholder for a project of mine).

In truth it was mostly a joke regarding that the costs for quality stuff is reducing so dramatically (at least for us third worlders it isnt quite yet)

ya but things like recording technique, production and the actual physical room you're in are very important in audio recording. a mic alone doesn't make your recordings sound professional. i did a voice recording in a state of the art radio studio once and even then i had to do a lot of post production and editing on it to make it sound good.
i am fully aware of such, dont worry Smiley i know a bit my way around having a non horrible setup (i have a room i pretty much dedicate for such and know my way abit around an old copy of adobe audition to cancel noise and shit).

in any case, i think this was taken more seriously than intended, as it wasnt really that serious my statement and contained a bit of hyperbole.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #21343 on: May 26, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »

It's divide and rule.

Elements of this technique involve:

*creating or encouraging divisions among the subjects to prevent alliances that could challenge the sovereign
*aiding and promoting those who are willing to cooperate with the sovereign
*fostering distrust and enmity between local rulers
*encouraging meaningless expenditures that reduce the capability for political and military spending

The entertainment industry does wonders for that last one.

you were joking, but I think entertainment is necessary to survive. Also, regardless of how the general public views entertainment, there's no other way to spread ideas.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21344 on: May 26, 2015, 11:47:20 AM »

convention ... Huh?

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21345 on: May 26, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »

disgusting.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21346 on: May 26, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »

idk, looks pretty fun to me

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21347 on: May 26, 2015, 01:33:18 PM »

can i say that temple run is a legitimately fun game for what it is (a mobile timewaster) and that i don't hate mobile gaming?
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21348 on: May 26, 2015, 01:35:49 PM »

yeah, i agree.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21349 on: May 26, 2015, 02:18:51 PM »

An older female employee who works in my office is a dedicated casual gamer and really loves Temple Run. She would totally enjoy playing this, I think.

Besides, Tomb Raider games have employed enough QTE action sequences that this could be considered a natural extension of the series.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21350 on: May 26, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »

I never play temple run and wasn't thinking durrr mobile game ... but they applied verbatim the convention without a lot of thought applied to them it seems, the genre make sense with tomb raider, but that's a lazy interpretation IMHO

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21351 on: May 26, 2015, 02:31:39 PM »

(my response was more to torchkas than you)

but they applied verbatim the convention without a lot of thought applied to them it seems

well yeah i dont think this game is meant to be some kind of masterpiece lol. the mobile game industry is kinda like the 80s and early 90s console industry with all of its licensed platformers with only the vaguest relation to the IP they were based on.

as soon as a game becomes popular in the mobile world you can bet there are going to be a bunch of clones of it with famous IPs slapped onto them. thats the nature of the beast.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:39:47 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21352 on: May 26, 2015, 02:46:06 PM »

I just want Mirror's Edge 2. Speedrunning in the first game was so much fun.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21353 on: May 26, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »

There is nothing wrong with enjoying Donkey Kong Country from time to time. And it is mostly the same concept as mobile runners, you just keep the flow going. I have actually an implementation ready idea going in that genre with an original twist, only need to sort out procedural generation, top secret stuff:P

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21354 on: May 26, 2015, 02:56:21 PM »

Yes but actions are more contextualize with a universe that match in some way, contra didn't had random collectible liek mario, it had random stuff that make sense in it's own tropes, I dunno, it was jarring to have coin (make sense as short term gameplay sense) in this video while everything else made more sense (wall running, epic set pieces) and don't move you out of the fantasy.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21355 on: May 26, 2015, 03:30:05 PM »

Yes but actions are more contextualize with a universe that match in some way, contra didn't had random collectible liek mario, it had random stuff that make sense in it's own tropes, I dunno, it was jarring to have coin (make sense as short term gameplay sense) in this video while everything else made more sense (wall running, epic set pieces) and don't move you out of the fantasy.

but i wasnt talking about mario or contra or anything actually good, i was talking about cheap cashins like e.g. the home alone NES game. thats basically what the tomb raider game is (except its actually playable lol). the "design process" was probably the same: clone a popular game, slap a popular IP onto it, done.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21356 on: May 26, 2015, 04:05:50 PM »

I don't like mobile games. Disclosure, I spent a year and a half making a mobile game because I was dead broke, and it didn't make any money.

It's the whole industry going backwards and not to what works, but to what's most addictive-FUN and cost effective. Yes obviously they're not all bad, the touch screen has a simplified but unique function. What's bad is the economic pressure to drive every single game studio to race-to-the-bottom for profits. Countless IPs are stripped down to flash games from 1992, and worse, veteran game developers and creative minds working on copied, simplified, manipulative time-wasters.

What used to be a clever mechanic as part of a larger complex design can now be slapped with clipart and sold for nothing then guilting the player into paying piecemeal is the current most profitable strategy.

I think it's bad for the brilliant creative minds who make games, it's bad for this new generation growing up completely mindless games, it's bad for what could be the most expressive medium out there, it's bad for anyone who wants to make any money unable to sell your product without being dishonest about it's value. People used to say "why are you complaining, they'll still make both" and I'm not sure you can say that anymore. Clearly there's a shift. And now there's this pressure that "you don't like it because it's different" instead of actually looking at the quality or the thought put into it.

Yeah I'm bitter, but I never even liked Konami all that much.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21357 on: May 26, 2015, 04:14:55 PM »

I spent a year and a half making a mobile game because I was dead broke, and it didn't make any money.
Is it that super rocket plunder? Is there something that significantly differentiates it to countless other games of that type?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21358 on: May 26, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »

I'm not even talking about my game. If anything the disclosure was to share that I have personally felt the pressure that the surest bet to stay afloat in the gaming industry is to go mobile. I didn't ever want or expect a multi-million dollar hit, just something to pay rent for a month and buy pants. It's not an easy place to be, and I'm pretty full of regret.

But yes, we tried to differentiate our game from other space shooters by keeping the play to short bursts but without degrading the challenge, combing the Galaxian format with an upgrade/incremental shop, and hooking on a reflex test as you plummet to earth as you turned into a drill and then a gem collection bonus round. We also went away from the shiny and mandatory mobile art style to a retro 90s thing. And made the probably damning decision to not have ads or in-app purchases.

But again, even had I not had this experience my other post still stands. And I know any failure of the game is due to my own misinterpretations of the market, not everyone else missing my "true genius design" or anything.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:42:53 PM by unsilentwill » Logged

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21359 on: May 26, 2015, 04:26:49 PM »

well, she is a tomb raider for something. i dont think the money collection is so out of context in the original tomb raiders.

Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic