Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:34:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2326793 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21380 on: May 27, 2015, 08:02:30 AM »

So what about Nvidia shield console. Is it already forgotten?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21381 on: May 27, 2015, 08:58:03 AM »

yet another android tablet now

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21382 on: May 27, 2015, 08:59:41 AM »

https://www.humblebundle.com/?nintendo_indiebundle

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21383 on: May 27, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »

Top 1 reason why atheist should read the bible: it's a very good epic on the scope of Tolkien's finest

Hm, I dunno. It lacks a cohesive story and large parts of it are extremely boring. Matt Dillahunty describes it as a comedy of god's failures. Creating human, things go to crap, kill them all to reboot, things go to crap, pick a chosen prophet, things go to crap, etc. etc. But it's not great comedy writing and the world building is pretty incoherent.

I read the Illiad last year and it had much better story telling, but it was still boring as hell.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21384 on: May 27, 2015, 09:06:24 AM »

I love reading pages upon pages of family trees

it's just so EPIC

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21385 on: May 27, 2015, 09:26:30 AM »

yet another android tablet now
I mean their home console: streaming box plus "power of the Nvidia cloud". Just wondering it will go anywhere. Won't be surprised if not, hehe.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21386 on: May 27, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »

the old testament plagiarizes lots of other ancient stories such as the gilgamesh epic.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #21387 on: May 27, 2015, 11:00:48 AM »

story is meme
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21388 on: May 27, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »

the old testament plagiarizes lots of other ancient stories such as the gilgamesh epic.

there is a reason we dont call fps doom clones! how about epic-likes?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21389 on: May 27, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »

Top 1 reason why atheist should read the bible: it's a very good epic on the scope of Tolkien's finest

Hm, I dunno. It lacks a cohesive story and large parts of it are extremely boring. Matt Dillahunty describes it as a comedy of god's failures. Creating human, things go to crap, kill them all to reboot, things go to crap, pick a chosen prophet, things go to crap, etc. etc. But it's not great comedy writing and the world building is pretty incoherent.

I read the Illiad last year and it had much better story telling, but it was still boring as hell.

Heh you just describe Tolkien for real! Like him, the part are better than the whole (don't ask where orks come, evil can't create in his world yet they are multitude, etc ...)

Also read the Ramayana

JWK5
« Reply #21390 on: May 27, 2015, 12:58:47 PM »

There's also the Epic of 'Merica, with presidents flying in on rockets and tearing around the U S of A shooting two six shooters from the back of a velociraptor while beating their enemies to death with freedom, titties, beer, and all that shit.
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21391 on: May 27, 2015, 01:01:59 PM »

there is a reason we dont call fps doom clones! how about epic-likes?
What's the reason we call non-linear-backtrack-character-progression-platformers metroidvanias then?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21392 on: May 27, 2015, 01:20:10 PM »

There's also the Epic of 'Merica, with presidents flying in on rockets and tearing around the U S of A shooting two six shooters from the back of a velociraptor while beating their enemies to death with freedom, titties, beer, and all that shit.
You're joking but american values as a civil religion is a real academic thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_civil_religion
I had an exam on this!

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pfotegeist
« Reply #21393 on: May 27, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »

school, economics, fun, and psychology

Grades are a punishment, and they are in schools.  Few people can stake a claim they like homework or tests because these things often come as a punishment, punishers become less efficient for teaching over time because they negate fun.  Eventually an individual subjected to punishment will figure out how to avoid being punished, never showing up for the class. Now they can completely avoid the punishment and pay the interest with a lesser relative value at a later date; this is a powerful negative reinforcement.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #21394 on: May 27, 2015, 04:06:12 PM »

school, economics, fun, and psychology

Grades are a punishment, and they are in schools.  Few people can stake a claim they like homework or tests because these things often come as a punishment, punishers become less efficient for teaching over time because they negate fun.  Eventually an individual subjected to punishment will figure out how to avoid being punished, never showing up for the class. Now they can completely avoid the punishment and pay the interest with a lesser relative value at a later date; this is a powerful negative reinforcement.

#WhySchoolAreBroken

As a side note, my math teacher recently incorporated classcraft into our class as a test (we are six people in that class, so it's not as risky). I'm not sure whether it's distracting or motivating, but we had the privilege of hearing him sing Let It Go from Frozen today because of it, and that did bring fun to the class. We also frequently use a tool called graph easy to visualize esoteric functions we encounter in our problems, and it also brings enjoyment to the group.

SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21395 on: May 27, 2015, 04:26:12 PM »

The Bible is actually a bunch of different books strung together, so judging them as a single work is going to be problematic. Song of songs is some really good love/erotic poetry, genesis has really good and some bad moments, deutoronomy and numbers is pretty boring, etc. Reading them this way, as individual books, is much better for enjoyment.

The things you're describing are characteristics of a lot of ancient epics, btw, like the Illiad you already mentioned. Long lists of names, so called incoherent world building (to modern standards, that search so much for narrative unity), repetitive narrative structure (consequence of oral composition), etc. It' not the text fault if it doesn't do what a modern reader expects a story should do.

I agree with Gimym. Whoever likes the epic part of Tolkien, things like the Silmarillion, and enjoys ancient epics in general will enjoy reading much of the Bible.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21396 on: May 27, 2015, 04:34:36 PM »

Bible is just like mobile gaming, it's in everyone's pocket.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21397 on: May 27, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »

The bible is like Shakespeare, everybody know about it, passage of it, but outside of passage of it nobody that aren't in dedicated circle have actually read it (me too as I'm non religious).

Btw we had a Bayonetta game now we need a Samson game.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21398 on: May 27, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »

And assholes with signs roam college campuses loudly spoiling the ending.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21399 on: May 27, 2015, 05:03:11 PM »

The bible is like Shakespeare, everybody know about it, passage of it, but outside of passage of it nobody that aren't in dedicated circle have actually read it (me too as I'm non religious).
Plus you only read the fragmented fun parts, just like with mobile gaming.

Pages: 1 ... 1068 1069 [1070] 1071 1072 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic