Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:19:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1140 1141 [1142] 1143 1144 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2326857 times)
Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #22820 on: September 03, 2015, 07:33:34 AM »

you can swap out art assets and change names later if cash is really that big of a deal.

legend of grimrock started as a dungeon master fangame and is commercially successful. freedom planet started as a sonic fangame and is also commercially successful.

So true, but it does sound like an awful lot of work, and honestly I'm incredibly lazy, I try not to be but to be honest I will always try to find an easy way out of doing more work assuming I can in a given situation.

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22821 on: September 03, 2015, 07:35:25 AM »

it's not any much more work than making a game with your own art assets would be. the good thing about fan games is that that the assets and etc already exist.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #22822 on: September 03, 2015, 07:40:23 AM »

1 - make a fan game
1.5 - attract early fan community
2 - polish the fan game
3 - remove trademark by custom character, visual and story
4 - ...
5 - PROFIT!

Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22823 on: September 03, 2015, 07:43:35 AM »

it's not any much more work than making a game with your own art assets would be. the good thing about fan games is that that the assets and etc already exist.

You do kind of still have to do a little bit of work acquiring the necessary assets, and do a few various other simple things, but I guess in the long run it really doesn't matter overall.

1 - make a fan game
2 - polish the fan game
4 - ...
5 - PROFIT!

Chances are removing the trademarked stuff, would throw off your fan community a bit, but hey if its any good it'll sell anyways right?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22824 on: September 03, 2015, 07:47:29 AM »

well you will throw off maybe a small part, fan game is supposed to be this humble adventure in sharing close bond with like minded people. You can have gradual realization that you want to do something else but true to the spirit, it wasn't intentional, but I did see the growth of freedom planet that some fan have dubbed the better sonic game in recent years. Fangame already vary wildly in form, see eggman hate fury or psycho waluigui. SO a change in form to spiritual successor is generally a small leap.

Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22825 on: September 03, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »

well you will throw off maybe a small part, fan game is supposed to be this humble adventure in sharing close bond with like minded people. You can have gradual realization that you want to do something else but true to the spirit, it wasn't intentional, but I did see the growth of freedom planet that some fan have dubbed the better sonic game in recent years. Fangame already vary wildly in form, see eggman hate fury or psycho waluigui. SO a change in form to spiritual successor is generally a small leap.

I think my first project will be a reskinned Pacman-like game with a number of tweaks to gameplay here or there for good measure.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #22826 on: September 03, 2015, 09:52:11 AM »

This works on a few levels. I just wanted to draw a funny.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22827 on: September 03, 2015, 10:02:16 AM »

you forget edgy redesign became accessible on day 4

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22828 on: September 03, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »

your drawings are exactly as hard to make out as your writing. it's actually pretty cool.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22829 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »

My take is that the first panel are readable, then it became nonsense until the last panel which basically is on topic and depict the situation as perfectly as one can go, It's a work of COMPLETE Art that absolutely take advantage of its subject and aesthetics  Gentleman

- you can tell i'm french right? -

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22830 on: September 03, 2015, 10:59:40 AM »

Help!

The #stylenet community picked up the method and improved fast on it!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22831 on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:32 AM »

HOLY!
https://twitter.com/kcimc/status/638808941934284800

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22832 on: September 03, 2015, 11:19:20 AM »

I made a bot called @DeepForger that takes your photos and creates forgeries in style of famous paintings! #StyleNet
https://twitter.com/alexjc/status/639395511884214272

WELL!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22833 on: September 03, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »

This is a torch implementation of the paper A Neural Algorithm of Artistic Style by Leon A. Gatys, Alexander S. Ecker, and Matthias Bethge.

The paper presents an algorithm for combining the content of one image with the style of another image using convolutional neural networks.
On a GTX Titan X, running 1000 iterations of gradient descent with -image_size=512 takes about 2 minutes. In CPU mode on an Intel Core i7-4790k, running the same takes around 40 minutes. Most of the examples shown here were run for 2000 iterations, but with a bit of parameter tuning most images will give good results within 1000 iterations.

If you want to play with it
https://github.com/jcjohnson/neural-style

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22834 on: September 03, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »

1 - make a fan game
2 - polish the fan game
4 - ...
5 - PROFIT!

I will eventually do that by creating a spiritual successor to Super Metroid (long term goal). So many metroidvanias out there, but the next iteration of Super Metroid is yet to be made.

It might have a spoiling side effect to attract an early fan community for certain games though. Some games are also meant to take you by surprise so that you have an unspoilt experience. That is why I am not a fan of devlogs for everything.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #22835 on: September 03, 2015, 12:34:22 PM »

Armello looks highly tempting. I don't think I can stop myself from buying this game, it's got a bunch of cute animals and apparently it's inspired by board games too. Those are like my two favorite things in the world right there.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22836 on: September 03, 2015, 12:40:39 PM »

i want it too, but too busy with mgs5 at the moment.

edit: as i see it, it has the potential to be a bit of a kitchen sink design. this is always a risk with genre mixes even if theyre cool on paper. for instance divinity dragon commander was an interesting genre mix that didn't really gel together in the end.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:54:39 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22837 on: September 03, 2015, 12:42:08 PM »

I will eventually do that by creating a spiritual successor to Super Metroid (long term goal). So many metroidvanias out there, but the next iteration of Super Metroid is yet to be made.
I thought you were bashing on the controls earlier. You actually like Super Metroid?

Also, the problem with devlogs is that they're basically the most cost-effective and efficient way to advertise. You don't have to do a lot of extra work to show off what you've been working on and you get publicity. I get what you mean though, it's sometimes more assuring to wait so that you can get the audience by surprise. It's also a way to avoid any backlash on early concepts since people might not get it yet.
LIMBO did it successfully. I can't think of any other examples.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22838 on: September 03, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »

You don't bash control in such details if you aren't obsess over the details, a lot of works come from "this part, I think I could do better". If anything it might be his main differentiator, control and competitiveness metroid wasn't design with in mind. We also object to him saying that metroid NEEDED that, not that his ideas were bad.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22839 on: September 03, 2015, 01:12:34 PM »

i can't get used to google's new logo
Pages: 1 ... 1140 1141 [1142] 1143 1144 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic