Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:58:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1172 1173 [1174] 1175 1176 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327401 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23460 on: October 10, 2015, 11:08:06 AM »

i just checked sophie houlden's website and most of her stuff is downloadable in addition to browser-based, so again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also i found out i DO apparently have the unity plugin installed on OS X. i tried to play something and it crashed my browser lol.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #23461 on: October 10, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »

it's not just sophie houlden   Concerned

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23462 on: October 10, 2015, 01:14:50 PM »

what game has become?

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23463 on: October 10, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »

If the game in question is pretty short, it's nice if you can play it in a browser instead of downloading it. It's also a benefit to the developer because removing the hurdle of downloading something increases the likelihood of somebody playing. If they have to download the game, there's a higher chance they won't bother.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23464 on: October 10, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »

Sure, games in browsers are nice. Which we'll still get. Just not with crappy plugins that introduce incompatibilities, safety issues, creates vendor lock-in, prevents free software etc. etc.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23465 on: October 11, 2015, 01:44:11 AM »

Sure, games in browsers are nice. Which we'll still get. Just not with crappy plugins that introduce incompatibilities, safety issues, creates vendor lock-in, prevents free software etc. etc.

Arguing that restricting access to an API set will increase the deployment of free software sounds like crazy talk, my friend.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23466 on: October 11, 2015, 05:43:26 AM »

Non-standardized proprietary browser/OS-specific software like Flash/Unity prevents free software from properly rendering the web. Which means many people feel they "can't use" Linux/BSD/Chromium/Konqueror/etc., clearly preventing deployment of free software.

Calling someone "my friend" in the middle of an argument sounds incredibly passive aggressive to me, why the hostility?

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23467 on: October 11, 2015, 06:30:32 AM »

Restriction is freedom, friendship is hostility.
I can't even anymore, I'm sorry, dacke !   Shrug

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23468 on: October 11, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »

Celebrating a setback to Unity developers is pretty distasteful. Celebrating that consumers are being forced to accept lower standards (loss of support for legacy games is a lowered standard) for the possibility of a future benefit is awkward at best.

Loss of support and moving on to new platforms is a fact of life, so I'm not upset this has happened. It's awkward and insensitive to celebrate it with an enthusiastic "Yes!", though.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23469 on: October 11, 2015, 06:57:50 AM »

@starsrift, I have no idea what that means  Shrug
edit: but yes, when building infrastructure restricting what proprietary and non-standardized features are supported ensures freedom for end users. You only have to look at the IE/Netscape wars to see how things go to shit when you don't standardize shared infrastructure.

@SirNiko, interesting. That's a way of looking at it that didn't occur to me. I guess you find different perspectives in a gaming community and in other tech-related communities. It's been clear for a long time that binary, proprietary web plugins are a huge problem for a large number of reasons (security, freedom, standardization, etc.). The big browsers aren't killing them off lightly, but because it's become necessary. It's been on the horizon for many years. So personally I'm incredibly happy that we're getting closer to getting rid of them and that it will push us more quickly into the future.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:19:41 AM by Dacke » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23470 on: October 11, 2015, 07:58:53 AM »

"Freedom" isn't a good word in this context, at least regarding the end-user. I use Chrome as my default browser so I haven't had unity support for some time. However, if I wanted to play a unity game in my browser I could use Firefox to play it. Now I can't. It seems my "Freedom" as an end-user has diminished, not increased. I have fewer choices today than I had yesterday. I think that's what Starsrift is trying to say.

This is also true for Unity developers. Today they have fewer choices than they had yesterday.

Security and standardization, on the other hand, are potential positives I could see come from this.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23471 on: October 11, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »

The freedom I'm talking about is in how you choose to access the web. Sure, old content (published in ways that was obviously going to have to be deprecated at some point) will be harder to access. But the longer we wait, the more content will get lost once the inevitable switch happens. Looking forward, this will ensure more freedom in what OS/browser you can choose to use.

I care strongly about that, since I consider computer infrastructure to be a cornerstone in democracy. As long as people are vendor-locked to Windows/Apple we have a huge issue with privacy, security and equal access.

I wrote an analogy, but it was too wordy. Read it if you want to:

Imagine there were roads that you could only drive on if you had a car of a specific brand, say a Ford. If you didn't have a Ford you'd have to take long detours and couldn't get to certain places at all. This had happened during a time where Ford dominated the car market, but over time people had realized that it would be a good idea to standardize the road network so that everyone could use it.

The problem was that the Ford roads were built in an unsafe way so you couldn't just repave them, you had to build new roads. So any buildings built at a Ford road might get disconnected once the Ford roads were closed down. Despite this being common knowledge, people kept building houses connected to the Ford roads. There was much work being done to set up the new road network. But as long as the Ford network existed and was better in some places people would keep building houses next to them, even though it was common knowledge they were to be shut down because of safety and monopoly issues.

Ford users would argue that they had the freedom to go more places thanks to the Ford roads. But others would argue that it limited freedom, because you were often forced by the Ford monopoly to buy Ford cars. The freedom limitation came from users not being able to buy other cars or use bikes or walk.

In this scenario, I would celebrate when it was announced that the Ford network would officially start to get shut down. Sure, it would affect the Ford road builders and people who had made the mistake of setting up a house that only connected to a Ford road. But there would be a clear greater gain in road safety and would make sure that progress on the standardized road network would progress faster. The obvious long term gains and the guarantee that more people wouldn't lock themselves in would be worth celebrating.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23472 on: October 11, 2015, 09:06:55 AM »

That's call a car, a train and a tramway, they didn't limit freedom, jaywalking did.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23473 on: October 11, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »

the weirdest thing is that shockwave is still around (wikipedia says updated last month).

wat in a heck
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23474 on: October 11, 2015, 10:17:32 AM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic/posts/1375394

pathologic is getting rereleased with HD graphics options and the long promised new translation to tide us over for the remake. theyre also implying that the remake is going to be a complete reimagining which is fine with me as long as the original continues to exist. might actually be cool to have 2 completely different takes on the same ideas.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:29:42 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23475 on: October 11, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »

god i love icepick lodge

did anyone play knock knock? it got an ios port last year that i had no idea about.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23476 on: October 11, 2015, 04:26:14 PM »

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is amazing.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23477 on: October 11, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is amazing.

would love to play it but neither me nor any of my irl friends has an oculus rift. it looks so fun.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23478 on: October 11, 2015, 08:33:15 PM »

you don't need one any more!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23479 on: October 11, 2015, 08:34:58 PM »