Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:44:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1198 1199 [1200] 1201 1202 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2325334 times)
elfeck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23980 on: December 01, 2015, 04:39:04 AM »

This might be a bit provocative but it has been bothering me:

Why are so many hobby/indie games here (ie. in the devlogs) so similar in terms of graphical style/mechanics?
So many games have large subset of these attributes: {pixelart, 2D, platformer, roguelike, rpg-ish}.

Is it really so hard to do something outside that spectrum? When I think about game ideas I purposefully try to _avoid_ these attribute to "stand out", "be different" whatever, because I don't want to fall into the "index-pixelart-platformer-roguelike" category.

Dont get me wrong, there are some really cool games, like Risk of Rain and the likes, but why are some many people focusing on it?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23981 on: December 01, 2015, 05:20:31 AM »

Yes it's hard to come up with new mechanics and even harder to make an interesting/good game with them.

Pixel art is probably just because of low production cost and because its easy to make decent looking pixel art without traditional art skills.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #23982 on: December 01, 2015, 05:34:16 AM »

They're awesome.

People are better at having ideas than expressing them.  I'd compare every sentence written in a book to a recognizable action in a game. You have no idea how long it took me to type this.

now if I just borrowed an idea
Yes it's hard to come up with new mechanics and even harder to make an interesting/good game with them.

Pixel art is probably just because of low production cost and because its easy to make decent looking pixel art without traditional art skills.
easy
elfeck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23983 on: December 01, 2015, 05:56:14 AM »

Okay it's really hard. Still though, quite astonishing to see the similarities. It would take a lot to get me interested in a pixelart-roguelike-platformer at this point.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23984 on: December 01, 2015, 06:58:37 AM »

people do what enjoy for the most part, so if they enjoy those genres, expect to see them come up often.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #23985 on: December 01, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »

Most people aren't thinking about being "creative" in the abstract sense, they create to celebrate what they like, to reproduce and control the impression they had playing game. You like platformer? wouldn't be awesome if you could make one? You were impress by pixel art, how they make so much emotion with so little? That's how it works.

Sometimes some people play different game, and the fact that different game touch them in many different way is what blows their mind, so they strive to reproduce that aspect, some other find that it's amazing that all of that hold together and realize they are rules behind making this, those two type tend to be creative because creative is what they like. But some see video games as cool, and they want to be cool too, so they make video games, any video game is cool, those are the most flexible because they chase the status not the content.

It's to a simple thing in truth. People want to do what make them feel good, and sometimes that mean reproducing what they know, what give them those feelings.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #23986 on: December 01, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »

As a person who recently (literally days ago) released a pixel art platformer on itch.io, I can say that my main motivation for doing that was to learn game design because I'd never really made a whole game before. And I learned a lot from doing that. I also really enjoyed being surprised by someone making a let's play of my game. That was really cool and rewarding because it tells me that I succeeded in doing what I wanted, which is making a fun little game. Of course I have other plans for other, bigger games, but the experience of making a small thing helps build up your confidence a lot and now I feel like I can go a step further and make something bigger next time.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23987 on: December 01, 2015, 11:20:58 AM »

i create because 1. it's fun, 2. i want to be loved, 3. (more with music than games) no one is making the exact thing i want so i have to do it myself.

imo, reason number 2 is true for most people whether they want to admit it or not.
elfeck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23988 on: December 01, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »

Interesting answers. Thanks for the replies!
Pfotegeist
« Reply #23989 on: December 01, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »

It's pure irony how zombies are portrayed, everyone drives cars and remains sedentary and yet they'd be a healthier corpse getting plenty of sun and exercise.  They run a risk of skin cancer, ok, I concede they could be getting exercise at home in front of the TV and eating healthier as zombies.

Come to think of it, why are zombies meat eating cannibals?  That's a very specific stereotype and I think zombies could take offense.  Can I get a zombie's opinion on this?
Pfotegeist
« Reply #23990 on: December 01, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »

http://www.cleverbot.com/conv/201512012119/VWT24244448_Hello
Conker
« Reply #23991 on: December 01, 2015, 06:00:28 PM »

i create because when i was a kid thats all i wanted to do
Pfotegeist
« Reply #23992 on: December 02, 2015, 05:11:57 AM »

http://www.tnooz.com/article/what-do-kids-think-social-media-is-all-about/

I wonder what popular kids in highschool think about social media.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3181611/The-curse-cool-Kids-popular-school-losers-adults-claims-study.html

This + Internet = ?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23993 on: December 02, 2015, 08:25:18 AM »

I read an article a while ago saying basically that schools are no longer divided into clusters of cool kids and nerds because social media made it so everyone talks shit about everyone in every direction

I don't think I could find it again but I'll try

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23994 on: December 02, 2015, 07:18:06 PM »

Why We Crouch In 3D Shooter Video Games

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23995 on: December 02, 2015, 07:51:40 PM »

Brother had a steam pad for some reason, so I played with it a bit on Binding of Isaac when I visited him today.

In short, it sucks.

The d-pad is really difficult to use responsively. It has a clicky feel to it, when I want a d-pad to just softly press. The left analog and the face buttons are pretty far into the middle of the controller, which isn't too bad but also isn't great. The right side pad doesn't have any kind of a relief on it, so you can't tell by feel where you are. Maybe these things would get better with practice, but I didn't feel an urge to give it more time.

Shoulder buttons are average, neither good nor bad. It does have the benefit of two triggers on the back of the controller where your ring and pinky fingers rest, which could be useful for mapping additional buttons.

I wouldn't buy one over the XBox controller I already use.

Brother, on the other hand, liked it, but he prefers to game with mouse and keyboard when it is available and doesn't do console games.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23996 on: December 03, 2015, 01:54:57 AM »

Aren't both pads supposed to have some haptic feedback? How does that work?

Edit:

Haptics is a technology that uses vibrations to simulate tactile feedback. Both trackpads of the Steam Controller feature this technology.

oh lol. my samsung tablet has something like that and i pretty much turned it off after 5 mins because its uncomfortable af and doesnt help much.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:00:24 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23997 on: December 03, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »

Implementations matter, also haptic is driven by software, no feedback if not coded. Rumble is a haptic feedback

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23998 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:59 AM »

Nintendo ALERT

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1150086
Nintendo files patent application for cloud gaming devices

Supplemental computing devices that provide processing and/or storage resources to game consoles to assist these game consoles in executing a game. In some instances, a game console locally executes a copy of a game using resources of the game console. In addition, however, the game console may couple to a supplemental computing device that includes resources that the game console may also utilize to increase the speed or quality of a user's gaming experience. For instance, the supplemental computing device may couple via a physical connection (e.g., a wired connection) to the game console for processing data associated with the game and providing a result back to the console, and/or for storing game data on behalf of the game console.

1. A gaming system, comprising: a game console comprising one or more processors configured to locally execute a game and provide video output of the game to a display and audio output of the game to a speaker, the game console including a physical network interface and a wireless communication interface; and a supplemental computing device configured to detachably couple to the game console via the physical communication interface, the supplemental computing device comprising: one or more processors configured to provide, over the physical communication interface, processing resources to the game console to assist the game console in locally executing the game; and memory for receiving data associated with the game from the game console and storing the data for later access by the game console wherein the game console is further configured to couple, via the wireless communication interface, to another supplemental computing device, the another supplemental computing device including one or more processors to provide processing resources to the game console and memory for providing storage resources to the game console.

Looks like a p2p cloud system

[0013] In some instances, a user may be compensated based on an amount (e.g., time, raw resources, etc.) that the user shares his or her supplemental computing device or indicates that he or she is willing to share the supplemental computing device. This compensation may comprise any form of value, include access (e.g., time) to other supplemental computing devices maintained by other users, discounts on games, access to certain game content, points for redemption for digital or physical goods, information for display (e.g., as a badge) on a social network, or the like.

[0020] In instances where a game console utilizes resources from a remote supplemental computing device, the game console may couple to a supplemental computing device that is relatively "close" within a network. That is, the game console 102, or the coupled supplemental computing device 104, may identify other supplemental computing devices that have a threshold connection strength with the game console 102 or the supplemental computing device 104, or through which communications between the respective endpoints are less than a network latency threshold. By coupling to these devices, the techniques described herein limit the latency between the devices. The other supplemental computing devices could be within a relatively short distance (e.g. within the same household, building, or neighborhood) or could be some distance away. In some embodiments, the network distance can affect the types of functionality that the supplemental computing devices may provide. Network distance can be a measurement of latency between the game console and the respective supplemental computing device and/or the actual or estimated number of network hops between the console and the network computing device, for example. Thus in terms of network distance, a network computing device that is "close" has relatively low latency or hops, and one that is "far away" has relatively large latency or numbers of hops. Relatively close supplemental computing devices may be able to provide services at a nearly real-time speed (e.g. processing real-time graphics and sound effects), while relatively far away devices may only be able to provide asynchronous or supplementary support to the events occurring on the console (e.g. providing for weather effects in games, artificial intelligence (AI), etc.). In some cases the supplementary support provided by the supplemental computing devices could be based on a best-effort basis. For example, in a computer chess game, some amount of onboard AI may be possible on board the console to provide relatively quick analysis, but supplemental computing devices may perform additional AI analysis. If the additional analysis is not received from the supplemental computing devices within a threshold time, the console can use what is available to it (e.g. the analysis done by the console or by any supplemental computing device that has returned its respective AI analysis).

[0023] As described in further detail below, a game console may also couple to multiple supplemental computing devices to even further increase capabilities of the resulting game system. For instance, multiple supplemental devices may be daisy-chained to one another and/or the game console may be physically coupled or wirelessly coupled to other supplemental computing devices.

Abstraction of power and specs here! I guess nintendo might tap into that cloud too for their own process lol, it's literrally cheap deployment of cloud where people pay to host your server  Epileptic .

The lakitu!

The example console (just for reference)

[0024] FIG. 2 illustrates select example components of the game console 102 and the supplemental computing device 104 from FIG. 1. The game console 102 may take the form of any suitable type of computing device, e.g., mobile, semi-mobile, semi-stationary, or stationary. Some examples of a game console may include a "dedicated game console" in which the sole or primary purpose is to cause output (e.g., visually and audibly) of games for play by a user, potentially with use of a remote control, but potentially without. The game console may include its own display and/or be configured to be easily connected to external displays like televisions and projectors. In other instances, game consoles may take the form of tablet computing devices, smart phones or mobile communication devices, laptops, netbooks and other portable computers or semi-portable computers, desktop computing devices, terminal computing devices and other semi-stationary or stationary computing devices, wearable computing devices, or other body-mounted computing devices, or other computing devices capable of sending communications and performing the functions according to the techniques described herein.

QOL READY internet of thing confirmed?

It's super steam!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1150041
Time's Interview with Nintendo's President Tatsumi Kimishima (Some NX info)
NX:

The NX is “a next step in our dedicated device strategy, the core and primary focus of our business.”

“As far as NX goes, I’ve said it’s different and obviously a new experience,” he tells me. “If you look back to the beginning of our conversation today, we talked about the transition from Wii hardware to the Wii U hardware and how difficult it is to explain to the consumer base what is different and new about the new hardware. It’s difficult to convince them to switch from their current platform to the next platform.”

“That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”

Crazy NINTENDO speculation time
Cartridge is back ... with a processing vengeance! (I don't think it's what is in the patent, that patent is CRAZIER  Crazy )
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:41:11 AM by Jimym GIMBERT » Logged

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23999 on: December 03, 2015, 09:40:26 AM »

Aren't both pads supposed to have some haptic feedback? How does that work?
The idea was that the controller has some very precise motors inside of it that can simulate the way a trackball "feels" when you use the touchpad thing. Some people say it works quite well with first person shooters, I haven't used it yet though.

Pages: 1 ... 1198 1199 [1200] 1201 1202 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic