Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:21:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsGrandma: GM Platformer Engine
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Grandma: GM Platformer Engine  (Read 104817 times)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »

Thanks Chevy!

Yeah, I should've warned people that the fundamentals of the engine could still change before v1.00.

ChevyRay
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 06:53:28 PM »

I made a slight edit, to call event_inherited() in the creation event.

I didn't account for the room tranfer issue that you apparently ran into, as I'm not sure what you changed to fix that.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 05:51:08 PM »

OK, I've played around with it and I can officially say it makes me proud to be an Albertan.  Yeah Matt!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin  Hand Shake Right

Also, I realized that you can just draw any solid shape, set the parent to the floor object, and if the slope is never more than 45 degrees the character can walk up it (I'm 100% sure Matt/Chevy know this, but I thought I'd mention it for whoever else might not).

But yes, this is awesome, and I'm already significantly fucking with the character code to turn it into a bird.  (jump=flap wings; slow glide down; walks slowly; etc.)
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »

Fantastic Job. Gentleman

As can be seen in Feedback, I've begun work on a game using this.
It's basically how I learned the GM coding language, as well. That and rampant decompilation of Games I had lying around. It's fun to get a look at how things tick.

Great job, keep an eye out for my game, and thanks for helping me learn GML, to sum everything up.

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 06:27:34 PM »

Fantastic Job. Gentleman

It's basically how I learned the GM coding language, as well. That and rampant decompilation of Games I had lying around. It's fun to get a look at how things tick.

Great job, keep an eye out for my game, and thanks for helping me learn GML, to sum everything up.

I'm really glad this is helping you learn GM!

Coming in the next version:
-A standardized, reusable menu
-Pausing (which uses the above menu as well)
-An alternative player object which will demonstrate how to do ledge grabbing

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »

This would of been extremely useful when I was trying to do the room transitions.
Mines a bit big code wise and has many flaws/bugs. So I hope you don't mind me looking at this for interest sake.
 Panda
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »

This would of been extremely useful when I was trying to do the room transitions.
Mines a bit big code wise and has many flaws/bugs. So I hope you don't mind me looking at this for interest sake.
 Panda

Not at all.  Feel free to steal my code even Gentleman

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 02:36:59 PM »

Fantastic Job. Gentleman

I'm really glad this is helping you learn GM!

Coming in the next version:
-A standardized, reusable menu
-Pausing (which uses the above menu as well)
-An alternative player object which will demonstrate how to do ledge grabbing

I'm worried about managing to apply these updates to my current game. Sounds like it's gonna be annoying. I would like pausing, though.

On the subject of edge grabbing, why not wall jumping? That should be a lot simpler, and it's in all 3 jumpers. in fact, I'm perplexed by why certain things were removed when you changed the J3 engine into this. Mainly springs and wall jumping. those seem pretty useful to me. I've already made springs, but...

ChevyRay
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 03:44:13 PM »

I'm worried about managing to apply these updates to my current game. Sounds like it's gonna be annoying. I would like pausing, though.
Pausing is easy. You can add it to virtually any game without disrupting the current content at all. If you study YMM's code for it, you'll discover that it's easy to apply if you just separate out the pause system from the rest of it, because it's designed to work independently of everything else. Or at least that's what I assume.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 05:28:15 PM »

it's designed to work independently of everything else. Or at least that's what I assume.
Yeah, I think you can easily add some code that freezes all instances in a room except the "controller" object.  You don't have to change other stuff to add that, you just have to have a controller object that's "above" pausing and unpausing.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:42:04 PM by GregWS » Logged
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 08:36:12 PM »

The link for this is no longer working, can someone please rehost it? I moved and now have a new computer, and I want this thing.

soundofsatellites
Level 2

no way baby, let's go!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »

http://willhostforfood.com/files4/9/7/8/9780749/GrandmaEngine.rar

last version I downloaded, hope it helps.

and the glitter is gone
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 11:00:07 PM »

Thank you!

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »

Ok,I have a problem, but I'm not sure whether this is due to my GM skills being rusty or the engine's coding. I want to create destroyable floor blocks, and I want them to stay destroyed when you come back to the room later. I did the destructible part, but whenever I leave the room and come back, they just reappear. If I make them persistent, the blocks that I haven't destroyed also appear in the room I transition to, and all destroyed blocks are restored when I return to the original room. Help!

EDIT: I solved it. Turns out that I should set room_persistent = true during the stage_init script.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:37:26 AM by nayon » Logged

Daniel Linssen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 10:50:24 PM »

I've been playing around with this engine for a little while now. It works great, but I've noticed a small bug and I don't know enough about how the keyboard_check functions work to supply a fix. If you hold 's' while changing screen it thinks you've pressed 's' again and jumps or double jumps accordingly.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »

I see the file is a .rar, sorry if I sound stupid, but how do I open those?
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »

Use winrar's trial version.
http://www.rarlab.com/

Or 7zip, which is free.
http://www.7-zip.org/

BoxedLunch
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 02:40:29 PM »

Use winrar's trial version.
http://www.rarlab.com/

Or 7zip, which is free.
http://www.7-zip.org/

Thanks   Grin
TheDustin
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 06:35:18 PM »

With Will Host For Food down I can't seem to get a hold of a copy. Could anybody rehost this, it'd be much appreciated.  Gentleman
Radica1Faith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 08:46:07 PM »

With Will Host For Food down I can't seem to get a hold of a copy. Could anybody rehost this, it'd be much appreciated.  Gentleman
I second this, I will be happy to host it if someone sends it to me somehow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic