Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:37:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsGrandma: GM Platformer Engine
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Grandma: GM Platformer Engine  (Read 104520 times)
ChevyRay
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2009, 06:00:51 PM »

Here's a temporary hosting for you guys. I'll get Matt to upload a new one to his server next time I talk to him. There doesn't even seem to be a topic on his forum or download on his site, so I don't actually know if he's supporting it anymore. I'll give you guys this for now, but I'll take it down if he doesn't want me hosting it:

http://flashpunk.net/downloads/GrandmaEngine.zip
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2009, 07:22:47 PM »

Finally got the download link working again.  Sorry about that everyone (and thanks, Chevy).

TheDustin
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 02:04:33 PM »

Here's a temporary hosting for you guys. I'll get Matt to upload a new one to his server next time I talk to him. There doesn't even seem to be a topic on his forum or download on his site, so I don't actually know if he's supporting it anymore. I'll give you guys this for now, but I'll take it down if he doesn't want me hosting it:

http://flashpunk.net/downloads/GrandmaEngine.zip

Thanks a bunch  Gentleman
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2009, 09:59:17 PM »

(the download link in the first post also works again, if my post wasn't clear)

Sengir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 11:09:50 AM »

wonderful engine for who, like me, loves to make platformers!! thank you very much Matt! we hope to see new release soon! :-)

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Thorson, for this great engine! I was developing an engine to use with my games, but at one point I saw this engine and found that my engine left a lot to be desired, so I re-made my engine, incorporating some of the concepts from yours! My friends and I use this new engine now, and it's been great! We will definitely credit you in our games.

The main faults in the original build of my engine were

1) it allowed for non-integer positions,

2) it used a for loop instead of a repeat loop in such a way as to allow objects to "overshoot" wall objects at high speeds, and

3) for some reason it doesn't work correctly in GM8...

Your engine helped me to fix these problems. Thanks again!

I won't post the engine, though... It's kind of messy. Tongue

By the way, the game in my sig does NOT use the new engine; it was made way before I knew GML well enough to be thinking about developing engines! Its sequel will be made with it, though. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:37:14 PM by lasttea999 » Logged

Pentadact
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »

Thanks for putting this out! I've been looking for a starting point like this - getting reliable collision is tough when you're just starting out.

I'm finding it tricky to use any of Game Maker's normal functions with it, though. I have an ability that needs to use the 'Move towards point' action on the player, but that gives him some hspeed which never decays, because all the existing code affects his 'hspd' instead. He bounds through walls and eventually off the screen.

Is there any way around this, or do you have to script all your own actions to use the new object properties?

Also, is there any way to view or change the 'User defined event's that determine horizontal and vertical collision?

Cheers!
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »

I'm finding it tricky to use any of Game Maker's normal functions with it, though. I have an ability that needs to use the 'Move towards point' action on the player, but that gives him some hspeed which never decays, because all the existing code affects his 'hspd' instead. He bounds through walls and eventually off the screen.

It might be a good (and in my opinion fun) exercise to make some code of your own that serves a purpose analogous to the 'Move towards point' function, using trigonometry functions and the variables introduced in the engine.

Also, is there any way to view or change the 'User defined event's that determine horizontal and vertical collision?

I think the user defined events are part of the events that you can change in an object's properties.

Pentadact
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 03:36:49 AM »

Heh, fun for smarter men than I, I fear. I'm fine with the maths side, but I'm an absolute novice coder - I err on the side of mathematically simple expressions that are enormously inefficient on the CPU.

Thanks for the advice. I had one last go at starting from scratch with a collision handler designed specifically for my purposes, and finally got it working robustly. It's probably not very efficient, but I think my game is going to be pretty simple in other respects.

I could see the user defined events in the object properties, and view the code they execute when triggered, but not view or change what triggers them in the first place. Maybe they're called by some script somewhere - nevermind.
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2010, 06:30:52 PM »

I could see the user defined events in the object properties, and view the code they execute when triggered, but not view or change what triggers them in the first place. Maybe they're called by some script somewhere - nevermind.

Yup! They're meant to be called by the user; hence "user defined".

Arucard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2010, 04:25:35 AM »

Though I realize I'm a bit late to the party, I started working with this engine a couple weeks ago. I really love the way room transitions work, one of the things that really stopped me from trying to work with Game Maker was not understanding a good way to do that.

After using it a bit though, I wonder if anyone else has noticed this little "bug". Taking out the backgrounds on a room, you'll see the player leave behind a trail of sprites. I noticed this on the game I was working on, then opened the regular engine to confirm and it's the same.

Though it doesn't seem to have any real effect on fps, after adding details to a room I assume it might. Anyone else notice this? Is it easily fix-able or not even a problem? Just bothers me because I don't have a great grasp on optimizing for speed or efficiency.
Eraser
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2010, 08:02:19 AM »

Though I realize I'm a bit late to the party, I started working with this engine a couple weeks ago. I really love the way room transitions work, one of the things that really stopped me from trying to work with Game Maker was not understanding a good way to do that.

After using it a bit though, I wonder if anyone else has noticed this little "bug". Taking out the backgrounds on a room, you'll see the player leave behind a trail of sprites. I noticed this on the game I was working on, then opened the regular engine to confirm and it's the same.

Though it doesn't seem to have any real effect on fps, after adding details to a room I assume it might. Anyone else notice this? Is it easily fix-able or not even a problem? Just bothers me because I don't have a great grasp on optimizing for speed or efficiency.

By "taking out the backgrounds", do you mean removing both background color and background image? If so, this is probably not specific to the grandma engine. Start a new test project (not with the grandma engine) with 1 sprite that you can move, and remove both backgrounds from the room and see if your results are not the same.
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »

That's not a bug; that's just how Game Maker works. Every step, the program draws every sprite and background on the screen without "erasing" things drawn in previous steps. When you have a background color or background image, then, the images from the previous steps are merely being covered by the (typically screen-encompassing) backgrounds. The trail of sprites is still there, you just can't see them.

At least, that's how I think I heard it works, once...

There's a game or two out there that actually employs this feature to its advantage; I'll post a link if I can find it!

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »

wasn't it a venbrux game?

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2010, 06:34:29 PM »

wasn't it a venbrux game?

So it was! Thank you for your help in tracking the game down, Tanner!

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/48522-you-made-it

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »

Cool. I'll poke around and see what hard lessons I can learn from it "less hardly." I can see how the 0.3 vspeed wrapped with the "round" command would make that rather pointless to quibble over; unless fractal speeds *are* factored in, but a simple "round" check upon initial collision should be able to take care of that, even with fractal speeds enabled elsewhere.

As for the jumping, you may consider simply moving the command from "Key" to "Key Press." If that doesn't work, there may be something in GM itself that causes a "repress" upon creating/entering a new room. Also consider disabling autotype within the program (not sure how to do that).

Having a "player" parent object with 8 distinct jump-related powers, I've got a lot (likely 800+ commands) of jump-handling in my project so far, and it's not even to the playable point yet. How would you suggest handling sliding/passage-rolling, similarly to MegaMan 3+; and collision-checking for that? It's one of the things I'm kinda tripping over, atm; along with a fair number of my project's "L-Powers." I'm also planning to add in Super Arm (ala GutsMan/Chip'n'Dale) influence, and possibly Telekinesis (remote manipulation of appropriate blocks like that, within a range limit).

Arucard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2010, 01:40:58 AM »

That's not a bug; that's just how Game Maker works. Every step, the program draws every sprite and background on the screen without "erasing" things drawn in previous steps. When you have a background color or background image, then, the images from the previous steps are merely being covered by the (typically screen-encompassing) backgrounds. The trail of sprites is still there, you just can't see them.

At least, that's how I think I heard it works, once...

There's a game or two out there that actually employs this feature to its advantage; I'll post a link if I can find it!

Interesting, I never knew about this, I'm glad to see it's something I didn't mess up. Thanks for responding, I really like this engine and even little things like that I get obsessed over when I can't fix them. Tongue
Ataraxic
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2010, 12:15:17 PM »

I'm trying to edit the button used for jumping from S to Spacebar.

Is "key_jump" a variable? And if so, where is it declared?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:54:00 PM by Ataraxic » Logged
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2010, 08:15:51 AM »

I'm trying to edit the button used for jumping from S to Spacebar.

Is "key_jump" a variable? And if so, where is it declared?

They are defined in the room creation code of room rm_intro (open the room, click on settings, then at the bottom there's a button for the room creation code).

Ataraxic
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2010, 08:57:32 AM »

Cool, thanks! I didn't even know you could put code in rooms...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic