Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:07:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsGrandma: GM Platformer Engine
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Grandma: GM Platformer Engine  (Read 104796 times)
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2011, 08:07:41 PM »

I'll have to take a good look at that code to understand it well, idoru!

So I said that I made my own engine based partly on Grandma Engine. I wanted to share it, but I've been refraining from doing so because the style of the code is a bit odd. But now I've made a new version that should be easier to look at: download from MediaFire

Note that this is a *partial* rewrite of what I'm actually using in my projects; therefore it's missing some features, such as the aforementioned moving platforms. Also, I apologize in advance for the sparseness of the comments!

Thank you again, Mr. Thorson!

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2011, 01:47:56 AM »

Whoa this thread is getting pretty old but is somehow still active. Moving platform code looks cool, thanks for sharing that with everyone Smiley

FrankTheTank
Level 0

Not actually a tank!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2011, 03:10:30 PM »

I have been playing with this engine for a bit now and it is extremely useful. However, I still haven't figured out a basic concept, don't get me wrong, it's an awesome engine, and this is probably just me being a giant idiot, but I can't figure out how to make objects that act like the floor and slope blocks, as in objects that you won't just fall through when you step or fall on them, I have been putting floors behind basically every single solid thing as a temporary solution, but this is tedious and limits my options a lot.

In short, how do you make solid objects in this engine?

aaahhh!
ink.inc
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »

Set the parent object to obj_floor/obj_jumpthrough. That should take care of it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:58:18 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
FrankTheTank
Level 0

Not actually a tank!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »

Ah, thanks, I knew it was something simple, I should probably read more before I ask stuff that may or may not be completely unrelated to the thread itself.

aaahhh!
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »

Don't have '-' in your sprite names. Your sprite/variable names should consist of letters, number, and _ only.

One of the things about GM that I dislike is that you can get away with using strangle symbols like '-' in your project, as long as your using drag&drop, or setting the sprite manually.

Once you get code, though, it all goes wrong.

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2011, 12:44:43 AM »

No problem! Smiley

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »

instead of adding another line, change the parent of o_basicarrow_hit to o_jumpthru, saves you messing up the code too much. I don't know if this will fix it, though, but chances are it will work better.

I don't know how to go about fixing that angled fallthru, though, Maybe have to hack it by making it so you can't stand on arrows that hit more than 45 degrees into the wall? seems realistic enough to me.

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »

Hi, I've been using this engine for a while now and I pretty much know it off by heart. But for the life of me I just can't figure out how to make the player object jump down through a wall object. I've played around with obj_moveable to see if it was a fault with that part of the code. It wasn't, I managed to have all enemy sprites move through but not the player. I'm still playing with the player object to try and  work this out. I think someone else has managed to tackle this problem and if anybody could help me out I'd be very grateful.

Damian
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2012, 10:46:18 AM »

Do you mean with the jumpthru platforms?

I added !keyboard_check(vk_down) in the checkBelow script, and it worked Smiley

return place_meeting( x, y+1, obj_floor )
    or (place_meeting( x, y+1, obj_jumpthru ) && !place_meeting( x, y, obj_jumpthru ) && !keyboard_check(vk_down))

Not sure if that was your problem, but it was mine, so my problem is solved xD

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »

Lips Sealed Thank you. I actually have that code already. But seeing that it worked for you and not for me confused me. It seemed logical. My mistake was making new objects and parenting the object floor in my idiocy instead of the jumpthrough object. Again thank you  Coffee
Jawnsunn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »

http://www.mediafire.com/?k2oddbn9tsnqf5w
Here's a backup since the link stopped working.
PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »

I'm an almost-absolute-beginner at Gamemaker, and a definite-absolute-beginner with GML. I really can't thank you enough for making this available, it's been a fantastic teaching tool.
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »

Hey the link to this has gone bad. Is it still on the internet somewhere?

EDIT: Sorry, I just looked through the rest of the thread and found that Jawnsunn's link still works.  Gentleman
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:28:08 AM by HarrisonJK » Logged
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »

Fixed the link again! Sorry for always forgetting about it when I change hosts haha. It's at http://mattmakesgames.com/matt/GrandmaEngine.gmk

Erinock
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »

Thanks for this, it showed me a different and simpler way to warp between rooms compared to how I used to do it. Thanks, and will give credit when I use it.  Smiley
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2012, 04:51:06 AM »

Is this even still linked anywhere on your site, or is it basically just here?

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »

Is this even still linked anywhere on your site, or is it basically just here?

Fixed the link again! Sorry for always forgetting about it when I change hosts haha. It's at http://mattmakesgames.com/matt/GrandmaEngine.gmk

---

So I've been using the methods of the Grandma Engine in GM and also in Java, leaving the core algorithm (?) mostly intact, and in my opinion the movement feels great, it's really smooth. But I've been wondering about the efficiency of the method. It does a LOT of collision-checking that other collision-checking methods may not have to do, right?

If I remember correctly, though, I think I was able to get about 100 or 200 simple objects going without lag in GM with this method? It might even be possible to have more objects. I haven't really tested it in Java.

My apologies if this issue has already been discussed within the thread. Thoughts?

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »

good engine Grin

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Ant
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »

@lasttea999 I'm not 100% but I think the only difference in terms of collision detection is that this engine checks for a collision before movement while GM's inbuilt collision detection checks for a collision after movement. So they are both doing the same amount of checking, it's just at different points in the code.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic