Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1057502 Posts in 42961 Topics- by 34896 Members - Latest Member: mirajaneerza

October 25, 2014, 11:38:12 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 58647 times)
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 6

Wolfgame

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #380 on: September 09, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »

isn't this that game where that dude went berserk on twitter?

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #381 on: September 09, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »

isn't this that game where that dude went berserk on twitter?

ya, but eva isn't a "dude". and i guess it worked, since you've now heard of the game?

anyway i haven't had an update in the game for a while, so here's some more info:

still working on dream mode, recently finished porting all of the creatures (except for 5 remaining bosses) into dream mode, and finished making all the 10 weapons in dream mode's charge attacks; basically the mechanics of dream mode are done, but it still needs the levels and a little more polish, which is what i'll be working on for the next month or two

here's some new screenshots:

the entrance to the dream mode level shown in the following screenshots

testing damage numbers (effect subject to change, as with all these images)

working on the effect for dream mode messages (game over / warning / victory)

the zig engine/missiles weapon

the chain cleaner weapon (normal version)

the chain weapon (charge version)

part of the dialogue at the start of that dream level

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

You know, I love the style, but I'm not sure if these particles really fit. Especially those from chain weapon's charge version. First of all, they are very soft while the rest of the game is in sharp pixel art style. But that's a minor thing. What bothers me more is that they look as if you just pumped out so many flares that they added up to a pure white blot.

Try using custom sprites, have at least two per effect, and generally use less of them. It looks better that way and also is faster.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCubeBlog | Twitter | Facebook
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »

i think i mentioned this before, but i'm not sure how to make custom sprites for particles -- e.g. how would you make them? could you give examples of some of them? what program would you use to make them, and what would they look like?

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #384 on: September 09, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »

When you define a particle in GameMaker, you may make it use one of the default shapes, or just assign a sprite to it using part_type_sprite function. Making your own sprites for flares, smoke, etc. gives you much more control over the style of your particles and should look much better right away. For example - instead of using pt_shape_sphere you could make a nice pixel art blob.

This is my flame sprite for example:

Another important thing is to use several different particles and sprites per effect. Otherwise it looks artificial and quickly burns in to pure white. For example - let's say you want to make a fire effect. A typical newbie way to do it would be to spawn several yellow and red flares or smoke puffs. A better way is to make a custom flame sprite that fits your game style, and then break the effect like this:

- Create the main flame particle using the said sprite.
- Make another flame particle using the same sprite. Make it smaller, faster, and longer lasting. It will make the effect's pattern harder to notice and overall more natural.
- Have small flares/sparks shoot upwards with some gravity to simulate burning matter and ash.
- Have larger flares with small alpha pop up from time to time to simulate flashes of light.
- Add a slight smoke above it all (optional).

This way you can use less particles per second, and create much more believable and natural looking effects. People are very good at discerning patterns and will see through an effect consisting of only one particle. Using more than two is usually enough to trick the brain into thinking it's something actually natural and unpredictable.

A bit old, but a good example: http://youtu.be/hwtawrNs5IM?t=37s. Notice how the meteor effect is done. It uses two particles with custom flame sprite for the main trail, a flare on the tip to make it glow naturally, and then there are those delicate shockwaves on the sides. Looks much better than fireballs in Magi.

Tom Grochowiak
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #385 on: September 09, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »

i know how to code it, i'm just not sure how to create those sprites. that fire sprite for instance doesn't look particularly nice to me, it looks kind of weird. maybe it looks better in groups of 100 overlaying each other, though

i'll see if i can find more examples of particle sprites to get ideas from, but right now i can't think of anything better than the basic GM ones of sphere, flare, etc.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #386 on: September 09, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »

It doesn't have to look nice on its own, just when it's grouped. It's the same I use in that ArcMagi video and it looks very nice there. You could make one that fits your game.

For example - my other project is more cartoony. Realistic effects wouldn't do, so I disable additive blending and use this as the flame sprite:

But mostly I really think you should have more particle types per effect and use less particles per second. Right now, those blobs of white just look amateurish and clash with the polished look of the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:10:04 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #387 on: September 09, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »

understood, but keep in mind those are just still images; in video it may look much different, and this part of the game still needs a lot of polishing up. but when i get to that polishing up part i will try your advice

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #388 on: September 09, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »

Yeah, sure. It's just something that came to my mind when watching the screenshots.

Tom Grochowiak
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: September 09, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »

you should find a way to make directional lighting on the sprites.
Something like a (simplified) bump texture for each sprite where you just store which pixels are illuminated depending on u/d/l/r lighting and then use fuzzy  geometry to light the sprites around a light source.

Make it for wednesday.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #390 on: September 09, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »

that's actually a pretty interesting idea. i haven't seen it done before though, has any other game done that?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: September 09, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »

probably but I can't think of one right now.
It just struck me that in your screenshots, the trees and other stuff lacked some kindof lighting when put near the particles

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #392 on: September 09, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »

one bad thing about gm is that you can't ask for all the particle positions. there's no access to them at all (once they are placed and are moving). but yeah it'd be fun to adjust the lighting of an object with the particles

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: September 09, 2012, 07:49:20 PM »

not with the particles obviously, but only with the particle emitter
if each particle emitted light, that would be overkill

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #394 on: September 09, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »

yeah that could work. will try a few things

alastair
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2012, 09:46:59 PM »

What timer do you use for your pomodoros Paul? I found a program today called Focus Booster that's really simple and awesome. Or do you just watch a clock or something? I bet you already told me before.
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #396 on: September 09, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »

i use two: an hourglass that's 20 minutes (which cost me like 35$ but looks cool) and 2$ ladybug kitchen timer which can be adjusted (i use that when i want to do one that's not 20 min, and i like to hear the ticking sometimes to keep my attention). i haven't tried any digital ones yet but i feel as if they would be less effective than something tangible

alastair
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #397 on: September 09, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »

Interesting, I have a tomato timer that you twist but I found the ticking sound unbearable (maybe yours is quieter).
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #398 on: September 09, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »

you can try putting it further away or under a blanket i guess; the ticking for mine isn't very loud but i don't have much of a standard of comparison. here's the one i have:

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Ladybug-Ladybird-Kitchen-Cooking/dp/B008FLENL8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1347257482&sr=8-13&keywords=ladybug+timer

PsySal
Level 7

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: January 09, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »

Paul is there any news about SD? Screenshots?

I was sorry to see it got overlooked in IGF but I think you are basically right about RPGs not really being a good fit for judges that have to play a lot of games.

Also, and this is a real but silly question, but how did living in NJ and seeing it flooded during Sandy affect how you view your game? Like, I saw eva tweet at one point that you were stuck w/o power but OK, then I saw a pic you posted of a part of NJ underwater, then I started to think... it's kind of a similar environment to Saturated Dreamers. Anyhow hopefully that isn't a tasteless question, I do mean it sincerely-- just kind of this weird coincidence.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic