Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:00:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 95155 times)
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 14, 2013, 05:46:55 AM »

What about those of us that think that LttP is the best Zelda game?
Is your creation telling us we are not going to enjoy it fully?

Yeah.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: May 14, 2013, 08:01:29 AM »

that's difficult to predict, and depends on *why* zelda3 is their favorite. games are made for a specific audience, but often other audiences can enjoy it too. in this case, the game is made for people who enjoy non-linearity and desolation (feeling of loneliness) which zelda1 exemplified. so, for example, if someone liked zelda3 because of the non-linearity of the dark world, i'd expect they'd enjoy SD, but if someone liked zelda3 the most because of the linearity of the light world, or the village, or talking to all all the npcs, or all the clues and guidance sahasarahlah gave the player, they might not, because SD doesn't really have npcs at all (it has them, but there are even fewer of them than even zelda1 had, to emphasize the feeling of being alone on an alien world)

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: May 14, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »

anyway, there are now 49 tasks remaining until SD is feature-complete. one of those tasks is what i've been working on for the past few days, the visualization of the skill tree. this is what i had so far yesterday:

the branches were sort of designed to be in the shape of a fern, and they move around in response to the mouse (i wanted to give it a feeling of being alive to fit with the game's themes). ignore the title screen stuff, i'm just testing it by having it appear on the title screen, in the actual game it won't have that 'continue / new game' stuff covering it up

previously it was just a 10x5 grid (10 branches with 5 skills each). you unlock new skills by finding statues in the game (3 small statues or one large one allows you to unlock one skill, and the statues are hidden across the world). the bonuses at the tips can only be unlocked as you unlock the bonuses at the base (so you can start with any of the first 10 skills, and then start on another branch or move towards the tip of any branch). each skill is actually two skills (one for each of the game's different modes)

i plan on improving its visuals a bit more before i continue on to the next task

eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 14, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »

I assume you draw them circles at runtime, yes? They are quite sharp, I'd prefer them aliased a bit, because it contrasts with the chevrons, though that might be on purpose...

Is the background animated?

Yeah.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: May 14, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »

I agree that those aliased lines look a bit amateurish

@eyeliner: the proper term would be anti-aliased a bit, since aliased lines are the sharp ones

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: May 14, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »

sadly gm7 doesn't have anti-aliased shapes. i believe they added anti-aliasing to studio but i'm still working in gm7. the workaround is usually to pre-render the circles rather than draw them with gm's circle shape, as i did in immortal defense, and which i'll do later on after i finalize their size and so on (i said that's what i have so far, not final -- this is a devlog, so of course i'm going to anti-alias things like that, that kind of goes without saying)

eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 15, 2013, 12:25:51 AM »

I agree that those aliased lines look a bit amateurish

@eyeliner: the proper term would be anti-aliased a bit, since aliased lines are the sharp ones
Yeah, I know, just had a mixup when posting.  Tongue

sadly gm7 doesn't have anti-aliased shapes. i believe they added anti-aliasing to studio but i'm still working in gm7. the workaround is usually to pre-render the circles rather than draw them with gm's circle shape, as i did in immortal defense, and which i'll do later on after i finalize their size and so on (i said that's what i have so far, not final -- this is a devlog, so of course i'm going to anti-alias things like that, that kind of goes without saying)
Of course, I believe you perfectly know what you are doing, but seeing as that screen has a lot of work devoted into it, I just had to ask. Even being obvious that you were to smooth the lines out, I just had to ask, after all, It could have some meaning...

Yeah.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: May 15, 2013, 12:45:36 AM »

yep yep -- worked on it a bit more today. should be able to finish up the looks of the skill tree tomorrow or the next day.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: May 15, 2013, 12:47:38 AM »

what'd you guys do for your five year development anniversary?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: May 15, 2013, 12:55:31 AM »

nothing, since i'm basically the only one working on it anymore (most of the rest of the team either stopped working on it or mostly finished their roles and have nothing further to do). well, me and eva (eva's still doing the promotion stuff and the site design) i guess. part of the reason it's taking so long is because i have to do a lot of the work other members of the team said they'd do but never got the time or motivation to do

i also don't know when the precise date is that we began the game. the earliest mention is around june of 2007, which will make it 6 years next month

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 15, 2013, 01:00:03 AM »

crazy, well the concept is cool and the trailers I've seen looks solid. I'm looking forward to playing this game soon.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: May 16, 2013, 12:47:17 AM »

okay, i fixed the aliasing issues and made other improvements; here's what it looks like now. there's still room for improvement visually but it's good enough for now, since i've spent about 5 days just working on that i'm eager to go on to the next task -- which is actually finishing up the skill tree's skills

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: May 16, 2013, 01:15:59 AM »

Looking good dude

eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 16, 2013, 01:21:34 AM »

I'd prefer the circle inside the circumference be a wee bit more transparent, but looks good indeed.

Yeah.
Uykered
« Reply #434 on: May 16, 2013, 02:20:53 AM »

Looking nice (aside from the text of course), will be cool to see it move around with the mouse.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: May 16, 2013, 05:16:19 AM »

It looks much better now, I'd only rethink the colors but that's only IMO

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: May 16, 2013, 06:34:23 AM »

Nice and indeed allot better than the previous one.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: May 16, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »

I realized that I've never posted in this thread so I'm gonna do that now.

I love immersive nonlinear exploration games so much. Saturated Dreamers is honestly one of the most unique and interesting looking games in development that I know of and I'm looking forward to playing it.

ink.inc
« Reply #438 on: May 16, 2013, 07:16:07 AM »

okay, i fixed the aliasing issues and made other improvements; here's what it looks like now. there's still room for improvement visually but it's good enough for now, since i've spent about 5 days just working on that i'm eager to go on to the next task -- which is actually finishing up the skill tree's skills

really cool but there should be some sort of layer that darkens the background; visually noisy atm. kerning is a little weird too.
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 16, 2013, 07:28:44 AM »

I really like the skill tree visuals too. Agree with Sandoval that there's too much competing for attention though and his idea to darken the bg is a good one (might use a grey color to keep the contrast high with the unused skill tree slots.)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic