Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:55:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 95204 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: January 12, 2014, 03:51:42 AM »

but what about the code in objects :|

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: January 12, 2014, 03:58:07 AM »

if you use code in objects you're using game maker wrong

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: January 12, 2014, 04:20:45 AM »

if you use code in objects you're using game maker wrong
in fact you have to use code in objects in order to trigger your scripts, therefor your statement is invalid

and no, I'm not using anything wrong  Hand Thumbs Up Right

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: January 12, 2014, 05:11:01 AM »

you're definitely doing it wrong if you are calling scripts from code events rather than script events. that is way slow

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: January 12, 2014, 06:04:19 AM »

you're definitely doing it wrong if you are calling scripts from code events rather than script events. that is way slow

If you want to get crazy about optimization, then code in objects is faster than calling scripts.  Shrug

Hint: it doesn't matter at all.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: January 12, 2014, 06:27:18 AM »

I wonder, none of my newer games made in GM had any optimization problems. I won't argue without seeing how your game is actually coded, tho.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: January 12, 2014, 06:36:53 AM »

it's faster to put all the code in code events, assuming you don't call scripts, yeah, but that isn't what i was saying. in gm7 and gm8, the overhead for calling a script is typically much greater than anything contained in a script. so ideally, you put as much as possible in a script, and then call it from the script event. what i was saying was this: creating a code event if you are only going to use that code event to call a single script is wrong, because the way to do that is to use the script event. that's what it's there for, so it's literally the wrong way to use gm. it'd be like zipping a zip file or something.

and it isn't just about optimization (although that's a part of it), another big issue is that you can't search code in code events with the search function. i use the search scripts feature of gm pretty much 5 times an hour, so to cut off much of the code from being searched would cripple a large project, because you are constantly going to be searching for code as you work on a game. teegee's suggestion of putting code only in code events would make searching through the code impossible, which would be impractical for any project larger than about 15k lines, and annoying even for small projects in the 5k line range

they fixed both of these problems in studio of course, i'm just talking about gm7 and gm8

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: January 12, 2014, 06:52:28 AM »

I have no idea why you have to search for code that often, I have most of my code in code events, and some in scripts that I call from the code, I have no problems with searching for any code because I know where it is.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: January 12, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »

there are countless reasons to search through code, i'm astonished that you can imagine making a game without it. it's really really really essential

here's an example of the last time i used it, just a few minutes ago. a playtester reported a bug where the shmup mode in my game would not be set to 60 fps, but instead set to unlimited fps, so it was running faster than the rest of the game. to find out why that happened, i simply had to search for this string:

"room_speed ="

that returned everywhere in the code that the room speed was set. which was about 12 places. i checked through each of those places, and in one of them i found the bug

without the ability to search through the code, i would have had to try to remember every single part of my code where i mess with the room_speed variable, which would take quite a while. a bug that took 2 minutes to fix could take 2 hours to fix without search

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: January 12, 2014, 05:54:49 PM »

Search is in my opinion essential. At least in larger code bases, I also use it constantly. Of course so are tools like "Go to definition" and such, which I have no idea if GM has.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: January 13, 2014, 12:56:15 AM »

there are countless reasons to search through code, i'm astonished that you can imagine making a game without it. it's really really really essential

here's an example of the last time i used it, just a few minutes ago. a playtester reported a bug where the shmup mode in my game would not be set to 60 fps, but instead set to unlimited fps, so it was running faster than the rest of the game. to find out why that happened, i simply had to search for this string:

"room_speed ="

that returned everywhere in the code that the room speed was set. which was about 12 places. i checked through each of those places, and in one of them i found the bug

without the ability to search through the code, i would have had to try to remember every single part of my code where i mess with the room_speed variable, which would take quite a while. a bug that took 2 minutes to fix could take 2 hours to fix without search

that's because your code is a mess   Durr...?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: January 13, 2014, 01:50:07 AM »

how so? my code is pretty good i think. i also don't see how clean code would even help with this; are you saying that if you yourself had written 60k+ lines of code you would never need to use the search feature when you encounter a bug, the way i do? i find that pretty hard to believe -- it's more a factor of size than of organization

perhaps you are only used to writing casual puzzle match-3 games? if i were coding a game like that i might not need to use the search feature either, maybe

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: January 13, 2014, 02:05:28 AM »

yea, it had ~30k lines of code or so, mate-o Smiley

tho I agree, I don't make 5-years projects atm and thus I don't need to use search functions every 5 minutes, therefor I don't use GM wrong

Conker534
« Reply #553 on: January 13, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »

I would die without a search function.
Thats like a must to me.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 13, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »

So, is this about Saturated Dreamers or how addicting a search function is?

Yeah.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: January 18, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »

which menus in particular? any advice would be helpful; i can make some screenshots of just the menus later on as they exist right now if that'd help

as for game updates, still editing dialogue. should take another month max. also with my cousin helping me with some of the editing that frees some time to code some other parts of the game that need attention

next i want to add a way to play specific sounds during textboxes at specific moments (i don't plan on using it very often but there are times when "play a beep right here" would add a lot)

also, @anty, i have no idea why a match 3 game would take 30k lines of code to make! immortal defense was only 15k lines and is a lot more complicated than a match 3. if you can write 30k lines, bug free, without using the search feature at all, that is kind of impressive, but i wonder if perhaps you could have done it even faster/better if you knew how to use search
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:24:16 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

Uykered
« Reply #556 on: March 02, 2014, 05:45:32 PM »

The screanshots aren't working in the first post!
feminazi
« Reply #557 on: March 02, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »

rinku just needs to replace studioeres.com/sd with saturateddreamers.com
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: March 02, 2014, 08:21:09 PM »

yeah sorry. i moved the server. i'll fix them soon.

Uykered
« Reply #559 on: March 02, 2014, 11:23:46 PM »

No worries! Thanks, was just curious.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic