Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:10:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGlum Buster
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Glum Buster  (Read 27598 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »

A fellow Eo member, CosMind, who I've had many interesting conversations with on the members-only Eo forums has just released what looks to be one of the most interesting GM games ever made. This is his first GM game, although he spent around four years on it. There was no hype about it, no previews or trailers, his site doesn't even have screenshots, he seems to be taking a very low-key approach to its release.

http://glumbuster.com

The game is quite fantastic visually and in its unique gameplay devices. Comparing it to other games would almost be an injustice, but the game it reminded me of the most in terms of the care spent on creating interesting environments is Seiklus. At first it seems like just a series of one-screen missions, but then an entire world opens up, and it just keeps getting better.

I plan to play through it and review it more completely later (perhaps for the indiegames blog or the tigsource blog or both), but I just wanted to give you all a heads-up. It may not even officially released yet, he only mentioned it in his public blog on Eo and seems to still working on the website and all that, but the game is there and it can be played. This isn't really one to be missed, I probably haven't played a GM game with this much work put into it since Iji.

It's free and charityware, which seems a bit complex from his description of it but seems to mean that money donated to him will go to charity.

(Note: you can enter windowed mode on the title screen and them maximize that window in order to play it full screen; its normal full screen mode is just a small centered window surrounded by black, which makes it hard to play if you are running a high resolution due to how tiny it becomes. So window mode + maximize is a way to fake a full-screen mode.)

“Cheer up, dear friend, or they may come. And take you where the glum is from.”
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:39:35 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:33:37 PM »

Downloading right away Beer!

Edit: Wow! That's really amazing! I think I will actually play through this one.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:57:45 PM by JLJac » Logged
wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:37:18 PM »

I second the recommendation. I think this is an excellent game.

I don't want to add much to what Paul said because part of the fun for me was discovering what each new area has to offer. There are a lot of fun mechanics and creative environments.
Johhny
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:03:47 PM »

Loving the graphical style of the game. Definitely going to give this one a shot.

Don't ask the reason behind the double H. If I told you, you'd tear your insideystuff out in terror.

indie-dev wannabe, that's me
Movius
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »

wow, Glum Buster!

it's actually real
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »

I just played through the first area of this, and it is amazing. I can only dream of being able to make sprites like that.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 10:04:29 PM »

Augh. Made it through area 2. This is one of the best games I've played in a long time. Just wonderful, sim~plee wonderful!

Kiss

ChevyRay
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »

HELLS YEAH BABY Kiss Mock Anger Hand Shake Right

It'sfinallyhereit'sfinallyhereit'sfinallyhere.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 10:31:41 PM »

mmmmmmm... wonderful.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:59:38 PM »

Been looking forward to this for some time. Feels like years.

ChevyRay
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 11:05:44 PM »

Been looking forward to this for some time. Feels like years.
It probably has been Tongue
ChevyRay
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 11:11:40 PM »

Oh poor grasshopper Sad I'm so sorry! How was I supposed to know your unfortunate weakness against the dreaded red boxes. I suppose this is where we part.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 11:25:45 PM »

This is amazing. Frontpage this!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 12:25:16 AM »

Oh poor grasshopper Sad I'm so sorry! How was I supposed to know your unfortunate weakness against the dreaded red boxes. I suppose this is where we part.
haha, I had the exact same reaction :D

ChevyRay
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 12:30:24 AM »

I felt so bad! I was just bouncing around having a great time, then WHAM. Embarrassed
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 01:29:20 AM »

Paul, if you could write a review, that'd be awesome.  If not, let me know and I'll do it... but you have a more personal perspective on the game and its development. Smiley
ChevyRay
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 02:11:49 AM »

As long as it's not as dull as the indiegames.com/blog review Sad I found that it didn't do the game justice at all, and was a very technical look at something that's not about jumping and shooting but about dreams, wonder, and mystery.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 03:46:09 AM »

Okay, this is fucking amazing! It reminds me a lot of The Cleaner. Only more artsy and immersive. I love it.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 03:55:06 AM »

As long as it's not as dull as the indiegames.com/blog review Sad I found that it didn't do the game justice at all, and was a very technical look at something that's not about jumping and shooting but about dreams, wonder, and mystery.

Oh, I see timw beat me to it there, he's fast Smiley -- I actually appreciate timw's objectivity, he never really adds his personal opinion about games, and that can be valuable a lot of the time. For instance, I didn't really like the Michael Rose review of The Path in that blog, because he inserted opinions about what games should be into it. Timw wouldn't have done that (even though he wouldn't have written about how the game made him feel either).

And okay Derek, I will write about it, although it's not that much more personal except that I've argued with CosMind over game design issues a lot on those forums, so it's nice to finally see a game by him Smiley

I also donated $10 when I saw that it was released as charityware, hopefully I was the first! I recommend all of you donate something too if you have the means and like the game.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 04:18:16 AM »

Okay, posted. I tried to keep the review unrevealing (since a lot of the game is better not knowing about it and figuring it out as you go along) but enthusiastic.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic