Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 02:52:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGlum Buster
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Glum Buster  (Read 27773 times)
adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2011, 05:24:05 PM »

I once played Glum Buster when I was feeling very glum and it failed to bust my glums.

Still love it though.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2011, 05:25:20 PM »

i think it's more that it had no hype and no marketing. no trailer, for instance. it was just released out of nowhere, with no previews or any information about it at all ahead of time. it was like the anti-fez

adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »

It's also a bit quieter and more demanding than most games. It doesn't have cute or "retro" pixel art; hardcore old-school platforming; or an "epic" storyline. It's a very meditative, slow, thoughtful, and mature little game. Even in the indie game world that stuff doesn't seem too popular.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »

all of that sounds synonymous with "boring" to meeee

Wizard

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »

Boring? No. Bloody brilliant. Don't go mistaking words like "quieter", "thoughtful" and "mature" for meaning that Glum Buster is some overly-pretentious artgame. The gameplay is spot on - it was clearly put together by someone who knows how to present game mechanics and puzzles. The whole thing is constructed from these amazing little "Aha!" moments, where you get a bit stuck, hammer some mouse buttons at random, and suddenly your brain echoes with the sounds of pennies dropping, whilst the game wryly smiles and says "I knew you'd work it out". It's slick as hell, and if you give it just a couple of minutes of open-minded willingness to get sucked into its world, it'll get under your skin and reward you a hundredfold. It's a seriously under-rated thing, is Glum Buster. Just talking about it makes me want to play it again.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2011, 08:35:39 PM »

i don't know, i tried it, and "boring" is definitely how i would describe the experience

boring, disjointed, annoying, floaty

all of these words, and more

maybe i just did not play far enough into it to experience "The Greatness." then again, paul also loves seiklus, so maybe not. maybe you just like boring games.

Giggle

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2011, 10:14:28 PM »

I really enjoyed it. That isn't to say it's perfect but I definitely find the whole 'work mechanics out for yourself' rather then being constantly hand held to be pretty rewarding personally. Each to their own.

For those that haven't read it and part two.

Forever Alone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2011, 10:18:25 PM »

i don't know, i tried it, and "boring" is definitely how i would describe the experience

boring, disjointed, annoying, floaty

all of these words, and more

maybe i just did not play far enough into it to experience "The Greatness." then again, paul also loves seiklus, so maybe not. maybe you just like boring games.

Giggle

I can't enjoy games without guns and space marines. I am a stereotypical teenager.

It's okay, guys... my tastes are just... superior to yours. Nothing you can do about it. FUCK YOU, PAUL ERES!

Watch as I close this post with a condescening emoticon.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2011, 01:31:34 AM »

i felt like i should point out some things

things i feel you might not quite have a firm grasp of

a) paul eres is not equal to every boring video game
d) these games are, in fact, boring.
c) my tastes may not be superior to yours, but i am almost assuredly superior to you.  Wink

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2011, 03:40:11 AM »

Glum Buster isn't really very much like Seiklus or other 'atmospheric'/'zen' platformers. It's pretty traditional in terms of its design, only the presentation is somewhat unusual.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »

i didn't say that it was

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »

maybe you just like boring games.

... Or maybe "boring" is a subjective term, and my definition differs from yours. Shrug

adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2011, 05:43:11 PM »

Exactly. It's not like we're playing, enjoying, and praising this game because it bores us. We, for whatever reason, find something interesting in it that you, for whatever reason, don't.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2011, 07:18:06 PM »

I fell asleep playing it

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »

wanted to bump this 'cause I thought it was neat-o (saw it posted by paul in the IGF thread), and others should see it too. I like the ambiance and figuring out things myself, but it's the kind of game I can only pick up for maybe an hour at most every now and then.

The dev has a unique take on video games that is definitely reflected through his work, at least through that brief quote-unquote interview. the whole other game he made for his sister and only his sister thing was pretty neat, as well

play hydlide 2
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2012, 10:28:50 PM »

it was okay but i didnt play it very much

i dont really see whats that great about it

i think i got lost
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »

Maaaaan, I played this game on release (#indiecred) and it got lost in one of my Great Hard Drive Transfers. Thanks for reminding me about this rad game! I had completely forgotten about it.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2012, 07:13:01 PM »

Mm, I quite enjoyed this game back when it came out.  I'm quite fond of games which drop the player into a strange world with no definite direction or explanation, and let them figure out the "what", "why", and "how" through exploration and discovery.  It's a nice sort of "lost" feeling, and is kind of rare to come across.

Maybe it's time for another play-through.  I think it's been long enough that I'll have forgotten most things about the game.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2012, 07:15:30 PM »

this game should be in one of those indie club weeks

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »

I remember rain, triangles, crickets, and pipes.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic