Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:59:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIndie Brawl
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl  (Read 51611 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2007, 10:52:20 AM »

This is the thread to discuss the Indie Brawl game idea from the Smash Bros. Brawl thread! To recap:

Here's an idea for a new collaborative project: A beat-em-up starring characters from Indie games! Imagine - Quote versus Juni! The Nikujin versus Lemeza! The Death Worm versus Primo Varicella!

Heh, thanks, Pacian!

Let's assess if there's anything to the idea, and if it's worth taking on as a group project. I volunteer to program it - but if anybody better than me wants to do it instead, go ahead, heh. It will be open source, anyway (all my stuff is). If it takes off, we'll need artists and musicians and all that too Smiley

The way I see it, the first consideration is how big the game's going to be.

Approach:

There's the minigame scale: this is where the game is implemented just enough to prove the concept. We get a few well known characters, rip the sprites and music directly from their respective games and get a solid (but basic) beat-em-up working. And then leave it at that. The only real advantage to this is that the developement time will be very short - and it might be kinda fun, in its own, quirky way.

Then there's the most likely scale: We decide on a cast of characters, redraw them so that they match one consistant style for the game (comparible size, and so on). We design little battle arenas based on each character's game. We remix the music, all that. Basically, we just make a very polished version of the above. We could also put together a character maker so that people can add their own fighters to it as time goes on.

Then there's the masterpiece scale. That's a hugely ambitious approach where we have online multiplayer with lots of people in an arena at one time, and a story mode for each character, consisting of levels designed in the vein of each individual game as interludes between the battles. Quote's story mode would look and play like a short version of Cave Story, for example, only with boss fights every couple of minutes!

These are just suggestions, by the way : feel free to suggest other big picture ideas for the scale of the game. I think the third one could be a lot of fun to go for, but it would probably be a ridiculous amount of work Smiley

Characters:

We should definitely decide on a cast of characters as soon as possible Smiley It would be easy to get carried away and have hundreds of playable characters - but I think that's a bad idea (remember the way Mortal Combat went? With millions of rubbish anonymous characters?). It would be better, I think, if there were only, say, 10 main characters, and maybe 4 or 5 extra bonus characters so that it didn't feel too swamped. This would also keep the resources down and make it easier to put together.

I'm going to list a few candidates that I've thought about. Please suggest your own characters in the thread! once we have enough, we can have a poll or something and finalise the line up Smiley

Ogmo (from the Jumper games)
Only problem is that Ogmo doesn't have any offensive moves, unless he can deal damage by jumping on someone's head. Along these lines, the egg thingy from Untitled Story might be more appropriate.

Lemeza (from La Mulana)

A Darwinian (from Darwinia)
Actually, I've never really played Darwinia (only the demo). Can these guys actually fight?

Gish (from Gish)

Quote (from Cave Story)
I think this one's a given Smiley

Mickey R. Dole (aka. The Attractor, from Clean Asia)
I think this guy could work really well - the idea being that he can't attack, but he can destroy the terrain as he moves about and shoot it at his opponent. There'd be a wee bit more work implementing him, but I think it would be worth it.

Thor (from God of Thunder)
Might be a bit obscure, but I think he'd make a good beat-em-up character.

Juni (from Knytt Stories)
Like Ogmo, Juni can't attack. So I dunno if it would work.

Harry Flowerpower (from Banana Nababa)
Or Poyo, maybe?

Talan (from A Blurred Line)
In ABL, Talan has the ability to absorb other people's abilities. I figure this makes him a perfect wild card character.

Nikujin guy (from Nikujin)
Does he actually have a name? If he's included, he'll have to be balanced a bit (seeing as he has a one hit kill move).

Kitty (from Game with a Kitty)
I can see this one working really well! Would have to change the controls a bit though, so that his "sky punch" move is easier to do.

Some other considerations:
 * There are way too many platform characters here. Partly due to my own bias, partly due to the fact that platform characters lend themselves quite easily to this genre...
 * It would be nice to have someone from Interactive Fiction, but I can't really think of anyone suitable. Varicella won't work, on reflection (honestly, can you picture the guy in fight?) Suggestions welcome!
 * I tried not to take more than one character from any game. Curly, Balrog and Misery would all make great candidates, though. Maybe as bonus characters?

Again, please suggest your own characters for the game! We need loads and loads so we can narrow it down to some really good ones!

I don't know if there's anything to this game yet, but I think it's worth talking about. If it takes off, maybe we can move it to the group project board?

Right so. DISCUSS! :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 01:12:48 PM by Terry » Logged

Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »

Nice idea but what's that what you made to my favourite game, this is not Gish this is an character that i think didn't make it into the game, a creature form "The Badlands", maybe he will be in Gish 2 !!!

EDIT: He is called "Boonies"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:00:20 AM by Nikica » Logged
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »

You can add Lyle, the WaDF ball, FUNNY CAT (Tongue), Knytt, The Ninja from N, many more :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:16:32 AM by NaYoN » Logged

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »

my wishlist

Gomez (shameless plug)
N
The Alien Hominid
Naija
Juni
Gish
Guy From Braid (whatever his name is)

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »

Gotta have the rabbit from Lugaru.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:58:16 AM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
Tr00jg
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 12:08:09 PM »

I cant remember his name, but the oke from DROD.

And Wik.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 12:15:44 PM »

I'd love to beat a Snood into a bloody mess.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 08:33:48 PM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 12:23:08 PM »

^YES. Snood could be a Sandbag-style character you beat the snot out of in training mode.

my wishlist

Gomez (shameless plug)
N
The Alien Hominid
Naija
Juni
Gish
Guy From Braid (whatever his name is)

I approve of this list.

Other ideas:

Sam from The New Satan Sam (he seems made for a beat-em-up)
The dude from Haikaiman (he could be kinda like Snake)
A clone from Cortex Command
THE SEXY HIKER
An ascii dwarf from Dwarf Fortress (could be a joke character, like mr. game and watch)
One of the knights from Castle Crashers
Lyle from Lyle in Cube Sector
The marine from Hurrican (although, since he's based off a liscensed character, we could have some iffy legal issues)

Also, any characters that wouldn't make good playable characters (like Death Worm) could always be included as Assist Trophies. (yes, it's a shameless ripoff of SSB. but so is this whole thing, right? Tongue)

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »

i want the heroine from Chalk!!  Also Noitu Love?

cup full of magic charisma
Agh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 01:19:46 PM »

poyo
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 02:16:57 PM »

Trilby!  And John DeFoe!

Also, U-head Smiley

I cant remember his name, but the oke from DROD.
Beethro Budkin Smiley
Higgins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 02:44:19 PM »

I love this idea. Here's some that came into my head that I didn't see mentioned:

The deer from Endless Forest
Soldat dudes
Fez
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »

The deer from Endless Forest

why? why? why do you want to hurt me so badly?  Cry
                         /

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 03:21:18 PM »

Trilby!  And John DeFoe!

win.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 03:23:53 PM »

Man, this is so awesome.

I definitely want to see THE DUDE FROM SEXY HIKING, especially with his play style intact. (he should be really really hard to control, but should be able to do massive damage... hammer to the skull!) Maybe he should be an unlockable character.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 04:05:04 PM »

I guess all the characters I could think of have already been recommended.

However, in order to prevent any legal issues if it's to be developed past the prototype phase, we'd need to contact the creators and copyright owners of all the characters we wish to add (that aren't regulars from around here, of course) in order to prevent any legal issues. We all know how internet drama goes, right?

Oh crap, I just remembered:

The path defender! (I think his name is K, or Subject K. Maybe Q) (Also, I couldn't find a proper picture of just the cursor. Sad )

The way I see it, the defender himself would be much weaker than any other character, but he could place his Points around the battlefield. A very limited ammount, of course. Might be difficult to handle, but rewarding if mastered.

Special Attack: PHOTOSENSORY EPILEPSY

Also:

If we're gonna do this, we need to also give ideas on how the game's going to play. Since we're indies it'd be interesting to try not to fully stick to the SMB gameplay mechanics (though they are pretty much unique as far as brawlers go) and find our own.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:18:20 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 04:18:04 PM »

As a secret character:

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 04:18:46 PM »

If we include the guy from sexy hiking we HAVE TO include the chick from boobza sport, she has awesome abilities  Wink

Other characters to consider:
-hermies
-banana nababa
-The samourai armor from Iwanaga
-the gamma brothers
-hickbilly from hickbilly bride (plus lots of other characters in the B game competition...)
-Lyle from Lyle incube sector
-dude from noitu love
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:22:03 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 04:29:07 PM »

Ideas for arenas (trying to think of elements that would make each unique to play on):

Path defender: A pathspace path design, with Aa sometimes popping around to place a Hate point or two, which hinders players near them.

Lyle: Cube Sector, with many throwable cubes all over the place (they could fall onto the arena over time).

Quote: Too many caves of the floating island are good to make arenas of, but one place I find interesting is the Outer Wall, with the wind blowing you around. The area where you find the Core is also fitting.

Gomez: Floating island arena that flips its perspective from time to time, making it a level for adaptable players.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 04:43:03 PM »

how about the little gnome fellow from Samorost?

cheers, rey-o
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic