Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:57:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDante's Inferno
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Dante's Inferno  (Read 53071 times)
Glaiel-Gamer
« on: May 04, 2009, 04:12:05 PM »

The poem is classic and whatnot, but this annoys me to no end.

http://www.dantesinferno.com/home.action

I'm sure you've heard of it, and it's disgusting how EA is raping the inferno and calling it their IP (to the point where they're making a movie based off the game).

It almost encourages me if I wasn't so busy to actually make a game adaptation of the inferno and do it right, just to stick it to EA
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:24:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure EA is not implying they wrote the original Dante's Inferno.
Gnarf
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »

I love this: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/217127.page

You can tell by his writing that he knows a thing or two about literature.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »

I'm looking forward to this.

There are plenty of games in which you battle nefarious ne'er do wells. God of War was a shameless rip off of Greek Mythos, after all! I try not to let it get in the way of how much I enjoy a game.

Keep in mind that "Inspired By" and "Based On" are entirely different things.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 04:34:15 PM »

I once had an idea to make a game based on it. It'd be a Double Dragon clone. "Punch your Way through Seven Levels of Hell!"

JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 04:38:14 PM »

I once had an idea to make a game based on it. It'd be a Double Dragon clone. "Punch your Way through Seven Levels of Hell!"

Yes.  Make that.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »

I love this: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/217127.page

You can tell by his writing that he knows a thing or two about literature.

*cringe*
hey people,
WERE IS THE PROBLEM???
Any Movie in the last 10 years or also any game speak about the licterature!!!
See ODISSEA,ULISSE,300,and God of War too...
Now The EA have got a genial and brilliant idea of the DIVINA COMMEDIA(Dantes book)videogame and the people go mad...
I dont understand before this the people dont tell anithing...

C'MON this game is a F......g great idea and i hope this product give at the home gamers another gold game like GOD or Assassin's Creed...

GOOD WORk(good idea for now...will see if the work are good in 10')

(and trust me,I'm Italian i study the Divina Commedia and Dante every years for may years at primary,secondary,college and univerity...If i dont matter,why people whit another colture(you have other genius writers)go mad for this game?Huh?)
  Hand Shake LeftScreamyHand Shake Right

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 04:59:58 PM »

So King of Demons without guns?

Fuzz
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:12:17 PM »

I fucking hate adaptations of classical works. Except for Don't Look Back. The main problem with this game is that in the poem, Dante is basically just an onlooker. He's not some awesome knight dude in shining armour. And the bulk of the poem is allegory, satire, et al.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »

Hence why I think Myst style or similar would be a much better fit
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 05:47:13 PM »

The Path - Dante's Inferno.
PaleFox
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 05:49:24 PM »

I have read this book. Isn't it mostly Dante either warning of sin or savagely insulting political rivals? It doesn't seem like it would make a good game, but the thing is that someone has already done it, and proven you all wrong,

EA cannot match this, but I am sure they will try. And Dante Multiplayer - wherein you will both lob political insults at each other before walking on and doing nothing - will be the only thing I will ever play, ever again.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 05:52:27 PM »

I have read this book. Isn't it mostly Dante either warning of sin or savagely insulting political rivals? It doesn't seem like it would make a good game, but the thing is that someone has already done it, and proven you all wrong,

EA cannot match this, but I am sure they will try. And Dante Multiplayer - wherein you will both lob political insults at each other before walking on and doing nothing - will be the only thing I will ever play, ever again.
Damn it, ninja'd.

But yeah... I dunno, if it was anyone except EA I'd say that we should give it a chance because the trailer is meant to appeal to gamers, so it may not show how good of an interpretation it is.

If it wasn't EA, that is. Now I'm gonna go read this epic before I even play that game.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 05:53:09 PM »

good sir, the game you have used as an example is nothing like what ea is attempting.  that's just silly seeing how the game you used is not at all an action/platformer.

pffffft.

PaleFox
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 05:55:44 PM »

Having seen the trailer, this is officially the most retarded answer I have ever read:

You forget that, EA has stated that they are going form the source material, other than just writing there own game.

yeah sure they might change a few things for game play, but how would this be any different form a movie?

I think what people forget is this is just another, way for an artist to create art. Games are art, as a comic book writer and artist, ive been mulling around the idea of a more modern Dante's Inferno.

Its people like you that can't understand that games, comics ,TV, and movies are just as important, as books and plays Its this close minded atrophy that stops you form understanding the brilliance of this game. If this game makes one person go out and buy the book than its a good game. You can't let your own ignorance over shadow the fact of what this game brings, not only is it a milestone in gaming, but literature bringing a book to a format that younger people will enjoy, its fun bloody education, and not only are you learning the story, but your experiencing it, you control it. There is more to be said about education though doing that there is through reading.

You hear him? We're all closed minded for thinking that when literature is made into a movie or game, it shouldn't be made into Diablo IV!

I'm so ashamed.
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 05:57:35 PM »

I'm so ashamed.

Sad

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 10:51:02 PM »

Absolutely transparent cynical marketing dross with zero redeeming features and no effort expended in it. Does not exhibit a single iota of imagination or originality. Seems to trample all over its source material with complete disregard.

Basically they wanted to beat God Of War but the brand is too strong, so they would be unable to with a new IP. So they plundered the out-of-copyright stuff to find something they wouldn't have to pay for just in case they fuck it up and it doesn't sell as well as GoW. As long as it can vaguely be related to some kind of God of War clone, it's A-OK as far as Marketing are concerned, and what do the serfs at the two EA studios who are slaving away over it (Oh the irony - I wonder which circle of hell they are residing in to have to work at EA like that) care?

Can this piece of shit and shoot the cunts that came up with it in the face.

Seems to trample all over its source material with complete disregard.
I've thought about this and it's actually worse, as they claim to have read it and also claim to want to 'do it justice', which is just a barefaced lie. So it is actively scorning the source material rather than simply raping it for primitive ideas.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:31:22 PM by Alex May » Logged

Fuzz
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 11:12:03 PM »

(Oh the irony - I wonder which circle of hell they are residing in to have to work at EA like that)
The fourth, I believe.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »

In the first level, Dante fights a horde of unbaptized babies (with blades for arms). The plot is ripped straight from the myth of Orpheus, with a Crusades-era hulking soldier "Dante" taking the place of the lovelorn musician, and the formerly platonic guide Beatrice as his slain love. At least they're being faithful to how badass Dante is in the text.

Big Laff Hand Thumbs Down Right

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a videogame of Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 11:20:36 PM »

In the first level, Dante fights a horde of unbaptized babies (with blades for arms). The plot is ripped straight from the myth of Orpheus, with a Crusades-era hulking soldier "Dante" taking the place of the lovelorn musician, and the formerly platonic guide Beatrice as his slain love. At least they're being faithful to how badass Dante is in the text.

Big Laff Hand Thumbs Down Right

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a videogame of Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

Dante vs. a Particularly Sad Story:
^^^ lol win

I wonder if EA caught the part where virgil turns into a sled and dante rides him away from the demons
Although probably not, cause they didn't read the poem
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic