Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:55:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAces Wild, baby!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Aces Wild, baby!  (Read 39340 times)
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:15:03 PM »

Aces Wild!

Check out the Kicks 42 youtube page for more vids.
Get news and updates on the facebook page
and my website

It's Manic Brawling Action!
Aces Wild is a 2d action game where you take control of Ace and his wide variety of martial arts skills and wile to defeat hordes of ninjas!

Engage in insane aerial combat against a hedonistic buffet of enemies and challenges and overcome impossible odds!

Deep, stylish combat like nothing you've ever experienced. Old diehards will feel young and vibrant while new actioners will fall instantly in love with combat. Crash, Smash, Dodge and Destroy your enemies while the action never slows down and reaches heights of madness you never thought you could handle!

Wild system allows you to control the difficulty and take risks however you like while you fight! An elegant combat system is rewarding whether you shoot for a high score or express yourself with creative combos.

Bang your head on exquisite music scored by talented musician
KgZ (James L.)

Smooth frame by frame animation and visual effects feel so good just interacting is delectably fun!

Engage in endless mania with multiple characters, a variety of curated, procedural and crafted gameplay modes and cooperative play!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:06:01 PM by Kicks » Logged
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »

Wow that looks really impressive, I'm surprised there hasn't been any other replies yet!
This definitely looks like it has lots of potential, I haven't played the demo yet, but I'll be back with more feedback later.
Topher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »

Excellent job!  The fighting feels really crisp and fluid.  The screen shaking and particle effects are great.  I think I would prefer the dash move as a double tap command, though.  I hope in the final game there are some cool obstacles like maybe swinging off flagpoles or doing some wall kicks.  I think a combo of this with Mirror's Edge 2D would be a mind blowing.  Even without those kinds of extras you still could have something really awesome.  Maybe a Guardian Heroes meets God Hand kind of thing.  I can't wait to see a more finalized version.

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:47:06 PM »

I think it looks really cool though it's kinda hard to follow what's going on in the video, but I'm pretty sure that that's what happen when you're just watching and not playing :D

I really love the animation, especially all those particle effects. Really make the fight looks tense and powerful. May I ask what program you use to create those animations? Like the flash when enemies are hit.

One reason I think why it's hard to follow is the player's color scheme and the enemies are too similar. That make it kinda hard to tell where your character is.

This is from what I've seen and not from what I've played. Will download it and give you more feedback soon once I've played the game Smiley

EDIT: OMG I didn't realize who post this. It's Kicks! Long time no see! SO this is what you've been working on instead of Beyond The Veil :D

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »

Ha! Hima!
I just saw you in the introductions thread before this! Good to see you're still making games too.
Yeah, I had to quit Beyond the Veil. I bit off more than I could chew with that one. I'll likely return to that game with better planning and a more realistic goal.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm eager to see what you've got cookin' too.

EDIT
Sorry! I forgot to answer the questions!
@Topher
In regards to Mirror's Edge... Yes. More acrobatics... wall hangs/kicks and such are indeed going to be implemented.

@hima
I just use photoshop for everything. I just draw it out and then the engine i programmed handles the particles... like fading in and out and flashing and such... I think the best way to learn is to just find an effect you like or want to make and then figure out how to make it happen with simple effects like scale, rotation, and opacity. At first I was animating many frames for the effects, much like the rest of the animations, but I realized that single frames/sprites just scaled and faded worked just as well and saved me TONS of time.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:06:59 PM by Kicks » Logged
jkd
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:59:52 AM »

Pretty awesome. There's a definite Smash Bros. feel. Nice graphics. The main character's head looks like Astro Boy.

I always juggle enemies by standing inside him, then repeatedly pressing X while holding UP. Using that method I can usually kill an enemy without letting him out of the juggle, and get up to the maximum height in the level.

Wizard
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 09:06:44 PM »

I liked the demo quite a bit.  The action felt smooth and the visual style was excellent.  That being said, I did have a few issues.

-The controls were a bit awkward, particularly jumping.  I would set jumping to either the C button rather than the space bar.

-The characters could use some sort of idle animation.  Currently, the action of the game is quite involving, but during the times when the enemies aren't attacking, the fact that they aren't moving at all sort of takes me out of the illusion.  It's a rather small point now, probably just something to remember down the road.

-I also found the same thing as jkd that you can juggle easily by holding up and kicking.

This looks really promising, and I look forward to future versions of the game.

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 09:18:49 AM »

Wohoo that is so cool! Hey, you're a master of graphical arts. All the stuff looks perfect through my eyes. The idea of having enemies that take hits like explosives is a nice bonus, too.

I just defeated a mechanical insect of some sort, are there more levels? I'll play this one a bit longer anyway 'cause it's fun! Hopefully I'll get back with some more feedback.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »

promising game!
do you also plan to implement some sort of single player platform stages?

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »

With multiple characters this would be amazing. My only crit as of now is that his down x attack is nearly useless.

Lo
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »

Okay, I think I reached the end! The pit with high rocks around. This demo is amazing.

I like the fighting much better than the fighting in Odin Sphere, and your graphics are aesthetically pleasing in a way quite similar to it.

The jump kick, forward + X, has a strange collision detection because sometimes it just flies through the enemies. It is possible to learn that timing though.

I love up + X, + X, + X! I managed to stay in air for several ten seconds like that, haha! I really think you should keep stuff like that (I guess it's what's referred to as "juggling"?). From my perspective it's what makes the game extra fun to play, you can do those crazy things that you can't in more realistic fighting games (I'm less fond of realistic fighting games).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:16:14 AM by DimJimma » Logged

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »

Thanks for they feedback, guys!
New demo up in the first post. Not much is new, mostly balance stuff.
Fixed the jumps for keyboard, they weren't getting the full benefit of holding the button for longer jumps.
Removed a few infinites though some still exist. Added most of the voice for Ace. Toned down the jumping and dashing... though probably too much. Redid the keyboard controls after numerous complaints(sorry!). Read the readme for more details.
Also added 'Wild Reversals!' (no good name yet). Do any Xbutton move(C on the keyboard) or Neutral Y (Xkeyboard) RIGHT as the enemy hits and Ace will get pumped and become invincible for the rest of the move.
Though I might add that many people seem to miss the diagonals... like the dive punch and bicycle kick.

@Tuna Unleashed...
The goal, at least, is to be able to play as any of the characters characters you fight. Just 'rebalanced' versions for player use. I currently have a few others, but they have lots of incomplete animations. You don't like down+X? Do you mean the twist kick or the punch? Either way they're both crazy good. If you're referring to the kick, do it in the air and you'll see what I mean. Same with the down punch. Get into the air with the flip kick, then bounce ninjas like a basketball!

@DimJimma...
Oh no! You're only in that pit? Try jumping then dashing to get out. Sorry I forgot the keyboard controls had a lousy jump, so you have to dash out. The last part is on a bridge. You'll fight a bunch, then fight 3 random ninja types. That part just loops infinitely.

Thanks again for the feedback! Keep it coming! Tell your friends! I'm super sorry it's made using XNA. It's really nice, but not good for distribution. I just pulled a big crunch to get this done for some competitions, so I'm a bit burnt out and my mom says I need to take a break, so the next update should be in a week or so.
The original goal of this game was to make a game like dynasty warriors... in that you're up against an insane amount of enemies (why it's called Aces Wild, because an Ace is a 'single' that beats everything). Only I wanted you to think and not mash like dynasty warriors. All games are organic during production, but that goal is still in my heart and on the drawing board. I can see it in the distance, and it's beautiful!
ArmyofNone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »

Wow, that was really entertaining. Reminded me strongly of Smashbro's Melee, with all con's and pro's.  I liked the aerial fighting, I enjoyed how you can "charge" your strong hits.  With a bunch of different characters with different moves, strengths, weaknesses, this could be really awesome.  As it is, the most fun I had was fighting enemies one at a time, let me build up combo's and whatnot.  Reminds me of the way Fox/Falco play in high end Melee play, which is a very good thing!  I didn't much enjoy when there was waves of 'em hitting from every side.  That's the biggest complaint, really. Other than that, very good!
Kamos
Level 0

Hey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 05:16:08 PM »

Awesome game.

One quick note: I think the voice was a bit too loud compared to the other sounds.  Wink
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 07:06:29 PM »

YAY! Front page! This site knows how to treat it's users! Thanks out to tigsource and everyone else here!

I'm actually pretty surprised how much people didn't like the voices. A different aesthetic perhaps... I have a friend that questions me on whether or not I understand subtlety. Though he liked the voices so... Anyways!
Thanks for the support. I have a part time job to help me support making games, but my employers lost a client and gained a new one, so I have a month of training. Basically it means I can't get any good work during the weekdays, so until June, most stuff will get done on the weekends. Though... that's usually when stuff gets done anyway, just less during the week until June.
Thanks again for all your support, guys! Keep the feedback coming and don't hold back on what you love and hate, though a bit more specific would be nice.
Some people give specific instances from the game others give more abstract game mechanical notions... I would love it if I could get both, as best as you can at least, from each instance of a like or dislike.
Thanks again!
Aces Wild, baby!
Kamos
Level 0

Hey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »

Ah, I actually liked the "Wooo! Waaaaah! Hah! Woooo!". I have a feeling that once people hear more of the "crash!", "pow!", "bam!" in between the "Woooo! Waaaah! Hah! Woooo!", they won't complain about it anymore.   Grin
snake2020
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:58:02 AM »

oh~~~on meidiafire again please!!
boblecowboy
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 06:50:11 AM »

I really enjoyed it.
Ennemies skills are really high (sometimes too but it's the goal).
I tried it at home (with a Vista computer) but the app didn't launch...
Weird.

Anyway keep working on this way.
DarkJee
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 08:54:20 AM »

Alright, creating an account basically for this game!

So, THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see the finished product! :O

so, for feedback mmm... in my opinion I think that when you attack, the players scream a little too much (yeah, yah, hep, shya, yeah, yeah, waah, hep, shyaa...) x_x but its only a little detail =P

And there is a glitch that happend a couple of time, when I recharge, lets say a down punch, I charge it too much for the arena because the enemies fly across the ground and they are not dead, but they are under the arena so i cant kill them anymore..
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 06:39:24 PM »

This issue has been coming up a bunch and it's in the readme, but... I really should just get my installer working. ANYHOW...
Even if you're on vista, you need to run the xna dependency redistributable in the file. It's xnafx30_redist.msi. It's highly unlikely you don't have the .net framework if you're on vista, but you'll have to download that as well from microsoft if you don't have it. If it's STILL not running, you may have to update your directX drivers, but that's even more unlikely, because the redistributable is supposed to take care of that. I only mention it because I've heard stories of updating directX as a fix.
You guys are all really great and supportive. I really appreciate it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic