Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:32:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProteus
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Proteus  (Read 49357 times)
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2011, 12:59:27 AM »

Thanks!

Good idea about the middleware, it might be the most effective way to do it. Because the world is tile-based there is implicit spatial partitioning, so don't *think* I need to worry about quadtrees.

Currently there are no plans to let the player jump or fly or otherwise get on top of things (except maybe bridges, one day) so even a 2D physics system might be fine.

Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2011, 06:20:48 AM »

Darn, jumping was going to be one suggestion I would have made. The style reminds me slightly (key word being slightly) of Love, only pixel and far easier to see where one is going.

This would make for a neat Daggerfall style fantasy game, maybe even some form of mmo Smiley

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2011, 06:40:34 AM »

I just played the build from your blog now, and holy crap when the dark clouds and rain rolled in... I don't think I've felt anything like in in a video game since the night time air raid in the first Crysis... and there's an ever so slight gap between the graphical assets in those two games, so Proteus is doing something right!

Now, the most important question: Will there be a Mac version?

Imo, this is good enough so I hope that some day it will be turned into an engine, just like Crytek, Source, Unreal, etc. etc...

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »

Well thanks! Currently working on a version for Indiecade... after that we'll see about a new public release in some form.
Mac build should be possible, I just need to figure out how to package it properly.
It is "kind of" an engine already. Most content is built from Lua script ini files.Once I have a bit of breathing room I can tidy these up, extend them and set up a wiki or something

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2011, 12:07:03 PM »

Addicted http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/12/ambient-works-proteus-ep/

Sorry this thread has been a bit quiet... things have been moving along steadily. I'm just very bad at blogging progress, even on the "official" devblog.

Looking forward to posting in announcements before too long!

OneSwitch.org.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2011, 11:21:34 PM »

What a wonderful thing!

Accessibility wise, I've been testing out with a few standard and not-so standard accessibility devices. I've posted a review here: http://www.gamebase.info/members/profile/14/blog-view/591

Here's my accessibility wish-list...

1. Start up screen. If you're reliant upon a pointer-based device alone (e.g. eye-gaze technology), being forced full screen, then having the SPACE bar as your only way to progress, leaves you reliant upon someone else to get you going. Similarly, if you're using reduced controls (e.g. two-switches), SPACE is also an additional button that you never need again, which may be one button too far. Would be great to allow W, UP or a left-click as well as SPACE enabling Porteus to get going.

2. Would be nice to have a way to select full-screen/windowed and to choose the game world size using your main in-game world controls (e.g. something to click on).

3. Allowing for an additional control mode where your mouse pointer is visible and not-locked into the Proteus window will allow a user to quit the game who might be otherwise unable to access the ESCAPE key.

4. A pure one-switch mode would be the icing on the cake, as there's only one other game I'm aware of that can do this, called Portem: http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/2011/02/portem.html - And that's a bit invasion of the body snatchers in atmosphere.

Aside from this, there's so much in this making it accessible from the off. The collision system works brilliantly for people using reduced controls, the control system allows for a lot of versatility in using alternative set-ups, the windowed mode at the start allows you to freely set-up a dwell-clicker. Brilliant stuff!

Barrie
OneSwitch.org.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2011, 02:39:47 AM »

Bill over at the Accessible GameBase (www.gamebase.info) has just tried it out with Eye-Gaze technology. Turns out it's not possible to play it as as soon as you move the camera spins round like mad.

If you did fancy making this eye-gaze compatible too, Proteus would need...

A. The facility to open up in a window.
B. A way to turn off the mouse "look" controls, but keep an on-screen pointer, and replicate the original mouse functions to key presses. We recon then we could use the new utility "Alt-Controller" http://www.gamebase.info/magazine/read/introducing-alt-controller_554.html to make the game playable with eye-gaze alone.

A lot to ask though, we realise.

Cheers

Barrie
www.SpecialEffect R&D and OneSwitch.org.uk
Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2011, 05:10:45 AM »

Sorry I'm bit late on the old band wagon but I just have to say I really like this. One thing I hope you never lose is the surreal feeling this game gives me!
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2011, 10:20:03 PM »

Barrie - Thanks for all the info on this, I'm sure I can get it to work nicely with those systems! I've emailed you at the "info" address on your site.
Cunnah - Thanks Smiley I can pretty much promise the surreal feeling will stay... if it disappears, let me know!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2011, 09:07:10 AM »

Nice idea with the signs. I like it.

farcodev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2011, 09:47:53 AM »

cool design, i hope that you'll expand this game
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »

Argh! I let this devlog die a bit, sorry!

Anyway, bump to say that there's now a basic site for the game, and a mailing list if you are interested in getting news on the release date, which should hopefully be in 2-3 months at this rate.

www.visitproteus.com]http://www.visitproteus.com/]www.visitproteus.com

If anyone is at GameCity in Nottingham this thursday, it'll be playable on one of the big screens in the tent.

Going to try and make an updated demo soon (without giving too much away). In the meantime, an image:

deathtotheweird
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2011, 03:00:53 PM »

awesome. Gentleman

is the demo going to actually be the EP or just a demo of the EP? and then the LP much later? sorry, little confused on the wording and how it would apply to indie games...or something.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2011, 03:06:14 PM »

is the demo going to actually be the EP or just a demo of the EP? and then the LP much later?

Ah yes, I should clarify that... too many suffixes.

Proteus EP is *probably-don't-quote-me-on-this* going to be $5 or something
The demo will be free of course, so yes, a demo of the EP (preview track? maybe need to continue the music format metaphor)

The LP is a later thing (a sequel really) that may happen late 2012, expanding the concept some more.

Thanks!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2011, 12:30:43 PM »

ah ok. that makes sense. thanks for the clarification.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2012, 09:28:33 PM »

On March 7th, after 3 days at GDC, I had a panic attack, anxiety attack, call it what you will, but let's just say I was freaking out about my life. Thousands of miles away from home, alone in my hotel room, I felt like I had to re-arrange my life, right there and then. It's a terrible idea to do that while overwhelmed by a gigantic ball of inspiration, stress, anxiety, motivation and confusion.

I had promised I'd go to the Venus Patrol/Wild Rumpus party that night, so I packed all my worries and plans in my brain and went there in a haze. My friends had not arrived yet, so I walked around the venue and found a relatively quiet room with 6 or 7 chairs/sofas, a controller and a projector showing a game I had never played before on a wall. A guy had just finished setting it up, I think - he turned to me and said "You can sit and play if you want". I did.

I don't even know how long I played, really. A guy next to me asked me something about the game's goal, and I offered him my controller, hoping he'd say no so that I could stay in Proteus forever. He took my spot and I had to move on. Turned out I was 1 min away from the conclusion, but that's fine - the game had given me exactly what I needed.

Through Proteus, I calmed down. I enjoyed a great night with amazing people, fantastic music and awesome games. I returned from GDC in a positive state of mind, and I gotta thank everyone who made Proteus for a good part of that. I did thank Ed Key that night, but I have to thank him again with this very long post.

So yeah, a million thanks for Proteus.  Gentleman

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2012, 02:17:39 AM »

Maaaann.... thanks for telling me all that (at the party). I was really touched. Glad I made something that was of some use to someone!

(I think it was probably George that you spoke to first... or maybe Dick... one of the Wild Rumpus guys anyway)

hryx
Level 0

bleached fife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2012, 02:49:05 AM »

Touching anecdote, Dom2D. Proper respect for getting out and trying to keep yourself afloat in such a state. Proteus really does have mystical mood-settling abilities!

By the way, I think I may have been the person who handed you the controller. :>
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic