Long time no update. PG town plans have been causing me a lot of headaches and wasted weekends.... but hey, even dead ends are a learning experience, right?
One of my algorithms had a tendency to try to make swastikas (in roads), which freaked me out a bit...
Anyway, I took a new approach and left the code alone for a day and made some rough building models in sketchup so that I had a clearer idea of what the PG town code needed to do to make something that would look good *to the player* rather than generating flat maps and fixing theoretical problems with no real thought for what the game actually required!
So, here are some (roughly textured, windowless) buildings and a mockup in sketchup, and a screenshot of the current broken planning code but with the building models slapped in. Needs rewriting from scratch with a much simpler algorithm:
(Also, some work has gone in on more sensible town placement on the island, and determining what regions should have mines or farms etc. This is what the text in the bottom left is, along with an example of a whimsical PG town name)
- Optimisation of model rendering (see the FPS count on that shot)
- Fix vertex normal import/export problem
- Load in world object library from a text file
- Make a simple, non-nazi PG town planner
Slightly further away:
- Farm and mine buildings etc placed in regions near towns
- Improved roads and other details painted onto the terrain texture
- Cliffs and other geometrical interest in the terrain, maybe some rethinking of the terrain renderer code
- Write up the design for the first playable version of an actual game in the world
- Everything else...