Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:39:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSagebrush | First-person adventure about exploring a cult compound
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sagebrush | First-person adventure about exploring a cult compound  (Read 2164 times)
nrberens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »

Sagebrush Announcement Trailer (5/18/2018)

-------

Interested in playtesting Sagebrush? Shoot me a message on the forums, over email - [email protected], or on twitter: @ludodrome

Hello!

I've been working on a game for a few months now and I wanted to start sharing some of the work I've done.

Wait, who are you?

I'm Nate Berens. I'm a long-time reviewer for Adventure Gamers, I run the Ludodrome Youtube channel, and I've participated in a few game jams. Over the past few years I've been teaching myself game development and this year I finally started work on a serious, long-term project.

Cool?

Yeah! So,  since March, I've been working on a first-person narrative exploration game called

It's about exploring the compound of an apocalyptic Millenialist cult in remote New Mexico after a mass suicide.

Cheery stuff!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, Sagebrush is primarily about exploring the compound, unlocking new areas, and reading everyone's diaries. It's about learning the stories of the people who joined the cult -- who were they? Why did they join? Why did they die for their leader, Father James? And who, for that matter, are you?

There's a heavy dose of Gone Home and Vanishing of Ethan Carter in the presentation (only uglier), as filtered through the aesthetic of low-poly, low-res early/mid 90s 3D.

I'm inspired by the environmental storytelling in immersive sims and the idea of 'archaeological' non-linear storytelling. My hope is that players will enjoy exploring and piecing together the story of the cult through both the more linear 'critical path' and the less linear contextual elements of the story.

The compound is one large map that can be openly explored, though locked doors and puzzles give structure and momentum to keep things from being totally aimless.

How's it coming along?

Pretty well! Mechanically it's a pretty simple game, so I've got all the gameplay mechanics functioning and in place. The writing is mostly done, but it's always being edited for the better as I get a better handle on the story I'm trying to tell.

The compound is laid out and I've been tackling the different areas in chronological order, so the areas in the first "half" of the game are mostly complete, while the back half is still mostly whiteboxed.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a test build that includes about the first half of the game playable in order to start getting feedback (I know, I waited too long, but better late than never)

I initially planned for the game to take about a year to make so I'm hoping (hoping hoping hoping) to release some time in early 2018.

Check this space for more updates!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:21:04 AM by nrberens » Logged

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 12:26:24 PM »

Goooooooood lord this presses all my buttons. I love everything about this, from the conceit to the presentation to the name and the logo. God it's good. Do you have a Twitter or website I can bookmark?

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »

lots of Duke Nukem 3D vibes! (art wise)

congrats on pursuing a serious project!

do you intend to perhaps have there be any people still inside the compound? that might make for some serious wtf moments of shock and suspense  Shocked

nrberens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »

Goooooooood lord this presses all my buttons. I love everything about this, from the conceit to the presentation to the name and the logo. God it's good. Do you have a Twitter or website I can bookmark?

Thanks for the kind words! My twitter is @ludodrome and my website is www.nathanielberens.com. The site doesn't get updated a ton, though I'm hoping to do better.

lots of Duke Nukem 3D vibes! (art wise)

congrats on pursuing a serious project!

do you intend to perhaps have there be any people still inside the compound? that might make for some serious wtf moments of shock and suspense  Shocked

Thanks! There aren't any other people in the compound, but that doesn't mean there aren't any wtf moments! I actually plan on doing a post here going more into depth on my thought process on that soon, since it was one of the first decisions I locked in on the project.

nrberens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:36:30 AM »

Initial Inspirations… and moving away from them

I started working on Sagebrush after dropping a much larger project that I realized was far too big in scope for a solo developer with my level of skill/experience. The months spent on that project were massively educational but the project itself is shelved until I have more experience and maybe (maybe?!) even a budget.

So the initial concept for Sagebrush was to keep the scope manageable for a solo developer while leaning into my strengths and interests. I’m a better writer than I am a programmer, so a game that was heavily text- and narrative-driven rather than systems-heavy seemed like the way to go. And while I’m not much of a 3D Artist, I was interested in learning more and seeing how well I could tackle a fairly robust environment.

I wanted to stay away from character modeling, animation, AI, combat, etc. Eventually I’d like to tackle a project that involves more of those elements but as part of keeping the scope smaller, I decided to take the Gone Home route – no combat, no NPCs, just you in the environment, uncovering the story. I also wanted to try my hand at a low-poly, mid 90s 3D look, a first-person take on Silent Hill-era survival horror. It’s an art style that I love deeply but also has a much quicker workflow than trying for a more photorealistic look.

The initial concept for Sagebrush leaned far more on horror tropes and cliches. The game was going to take place entirely at night, illuminated entirely by your flashlight. The fact that you had stumbled onto a cult compound was going to be slowly revealed. The compound itself was going to be more explicitly nightmarish, with blood spatters on the wall and corpses strewn about. And the ending was going to involve discovering a room with dozens of freshly killed bodies of cultists. SHOCKER! They all committed suicide! What a twist!

I briefly considered having wraith like spirits wander the compound. I even thought about giving the player a gun that would be completely ineffective, just to mess with expectations.

As I worked on it, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was essentially making another one of those cheap Unity horror games that clutter Steam, the ones that basically involve a bunch of free assets plopped into dark corridors, with the player wandering around with a flashlight waiting for jump scares. That’s well worn territory now, and within a couple of weeks of work it became very clear to me that it wasn’t actually very interesting to me.

Two small changes ended up helping me realign much of my conception of what Sagebrush was about.

The first was a matter of experimenting with the environmental lighting. An asset pack I was using came with several different skyboxes and I decided to try out a sunset. When I matched the ambient and directional lighting to the skybox, I was instantly sold.

The new lighting was far less scary, and yet… even walking around the temp landscape, it felt more evocative. Even my crappy terrain and placeholder buildings suddenly felt more soulful, more tangible. Sadder. Seeing the environment in a new light (literally) led to the second change.

Like I said, originally the mass suicide of the cultists was going to be a plot twist, a dramatic stinger of an ending. But I realized quickly that stories about cultists, especially in games, only ever really go in two directions: 1) they all kill themselves or 2) they manage to, like, summon demons or something. And while shooting demons is the great gaming pastime, that’s not the game I’m making.

I nearly threw out the entire idea, since I’d realized a major pillar of the experience was going to be ineffective and, frankly, lame. But then I thoguth about going to the other direction. What if I leaned into the mass suicide? What if I didn’t hide it at all? Now, the very first image you see after the initial credits is this:

Leaning into the cult aspect and being up front about the suicide realigns the story. Instead of anchoring the story around an unfulfilling mystery that culminates in a cheap, unsurprising shock, I’ve now put the people involved at the center of everything, focusing on the more human and, I think, more interesting questions.  Who were these people? What had brought them here? What drove them to suicide?

Suddenly the compound wasn’t just a haunted house, but a place where people had lived, loved, hoped, feared, and died. Or at least that’s the plan!

nrberens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 09:59:43 AM »

PARTY LIKE IT'S 1999

I'm not much of an artist. I have little to no experience with 3d modeling or texturing, but I'm working on a project that's very art heavy. That meant I needed an art style that met certain criteria:

• Could be produced quickly
  • Had a unique visual identity
  • Didn't drive me completely insane

Ever since playing Devil Daggers I've been super into the idea of recreating that low-poly, unfiltered pixel art textured look from the mid to late 90s. I first started playing around with the style while working on a now-sidelined project before starting Sagebrush. I did a test environment for the game, a cyberpunk bar, and was thrilled with how it turned out.

Not long after I put that project on the back burner as the scope was much too big for a solo developer of my resources and talent. But I wanted to keep playing around with that visual style and felt it was a perfect fit for Sagebrush's atmosphere and subject matter. It was also a way for me to create a large, fairly detailed environment in a consistent style relatively quickly.

The look is achieved through a few different methods:

Low Poly modeling

I'm not an experienced 3d artist by any stretch, so it made sense for me to deal in simpler shapes. The environment is blocky, the buildings are almost all right-angles, and the props are all in the hundreds of tris.

A more experienced artist could certainly get more mileage out of a similar poly count but I think by sticking to mostly hard surface models with little to no animation I've managed to do all right.

The upsides here are quick turnaround: I can model, say, a schooldesk in a matter of minutes and have it in game to check for placement, scale, prop density, etc. Also, when everything in the game is similarly lo-fi (and, importantly, intentionally so), the lack of detail becomes a consistent aesthetic rather than a visual weak spot.

Pixel art/Unfiltered Textures

Back in the day, I couldn't wait to get a Voodoo card and have my mind blown by that sweet sweet texture filtering, but looking back, it's the unfiltered look that's aged well. Just look at Quake:

Thankfully, getting that look is simple. It's just a matter of importing a low-res texture and turning off texture filtering in the texture import settings. At first, I tried manually drawing the textures through pixel art techniques, but I wasn't happy with my results - I wanted noisy, grungy textures and these were turning out far too clean.

I could have taken time to sit down and really practice pixel art to achieve the look I wanted but I was aware of just how labor intensive that method was. At the rate I'd be able to produce textures, development would grind to a halt.

Instead, I started working with reference photos (either CC or public domain), tweaking them as needed and then downscaling them to 64x64, 128x128, or 256x256 as needed.

It may not be exactly what I initially saw in my head but I'm quite a bit happier with the results, and it's a workflow I'm much more comfortable with. Sanity intact!

Low-Res Rendering

While it's certainly possible for this art style to look great at high resolution, I wanted to go the extra step and force Unity to render at a resolution more in line with the PSX and Quake 1 era I was going for.

Since rendering at 90s resolutions would look like complete ass on most modern monitors (if they even supported it) the solution was to fake it with a RenderTexture. This way, no matter what the native resolution of the player's monitor, the game appears at a crisply upscaled 426x240.

Here are some scenes comparing the true resolution and the low-res rendertexture version.

It works like this:

• The player controller's first-person camera renders to a RenderTexture with a resolution of 512x512.
  • The RenderTexture is projected onto the Image component of a Canvas.
  • The game's true main camera is pointed at the Canvas.

The low res not only gives the game a distinct, grainy look, it also helps compensate for areas of low detail. The game doesn't look terrible at full res, but the lowered resolution goes a long way towards giving it character.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:05:22 AM by nrberens » Logged

nrberens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 10:10:14 AM »

Hello all!

Well, I haven't updated the devlog in quite some time, but I've been making a ton of progress on Sagebrush.

The environment is essentially complete, along with the critical path. I've done a lot of work on the audio side of things, including interior and exterior audio zones as well as several new music tracks. I added gamepad support and the game now supports hot-swapping between gamepads and M+KB. We're getting there!

I've also officially founded my own studio, Redact Games. You can check out the homepage here: http://redactgames.com/

I've also exhibited the game a couple of times at local conventions and gotten lots of great feedback. People seem to be really into what they've played so far, which is wonderful to see.

Since I'm moving into the home stretch, I've gone ahead and launched the Steam Store page along with the game's announcement trailer. So without further adieu, here they are:

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/864100/Sagebrush/

nrberens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

Whoa! PC Gamer picked up the trailer already and posted about it. That was a pleasant surprise! Wasn't expecting any press coverage, let alone this quickly. Exciting!

https://www.pcgamer.com/explore-the-abandoned-compound-of-an-apocalyptic-cult-in-sagebrush-out-later-this-year

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic