Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:17:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuppy v29 - win / mac / linux / android
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Guppy v29 - win / mac / linux / android  (Read 35066 times)
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2009, 02:02:15 AM »

A game about swimming like a fish.

Version 29

Steam (win/linux/mac): http://store.steampowered.com/app/698500/Guppy/

itch.io (win/linux/mac/android): http://ninjadodo.itch.io/guppy

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.ninjadodo.guppy

Code:
v29

- added option to remove predators (disables scoring)

- add/remove player 2 option added to pause menu

- spawn player 2 KB hotkey changed from ENTER to S

- fixed: broken bg parallax scrolling in P2 splitscreen view

- added gamepad combos to access secrets without KB or mouse

- added alternate bg rock variation for hidden BUBBLES-mode

- various minor tweaks

v28.2

- added Quit option to main menu

- added fullscreen toggle to options menu (in addition to ALT-ENTER)

- P2 can be spawned with gamepad (A), or removed (Y)

- added mini-ripple on P2 spawn and exit

v28.1

- fixed: camera moving away from lvl edge when zooming

- fixed: player hiding offscreen at lvl edges

- gamepad Retry prompt now says A instead of R

- fixed: P2 music cues not resetting on restart

- fixed: incorrect program icon shown on title bar

- tweaks to fly spawn rate

v28

- increased lvl size

- increased max predators to 8 for larger lvls

- more varied rock formations

- rebalanced fly and predator spawning (adjust for increased lvl size)

- tweaks to predator and friendly music triggers

- replaced Retry R text with sprite

- chance of friendly fish spawning if hiscore 10+

- added option to show hiscore at lvl start

- removed Menu Cave (still accessible with SHIFT-ESC)

- window aspect ratio auto-adapts to screen

- fixed: pause menu visible in P2 split-screen view

- fixed: ALT-TAB interfering with ENTER in menu

- removed scoring from BUBBLES and FOLLOW-mode

- BUBBLES and FOLLOW-mode now accessible only as secrets

(see changelist.txt for more)

Original post:

Hello all,

Kinda new here (introduction). Was wondering if I could get some feedback on a work-in-progress.

So the other day I tried out this game where you play a fish and I found the controls extremely unsatisfying. This left me wondering how I would approach the problem. I hit upon the idea of mimicking the way fish actually propel themselves in the water, alternating left and right tail movement...

This is what I've got so far.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:53:46 PM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:47:51 AM »

Wow that's pretty neat, are you planning to make a full game out of this?
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:00:25 AM »

Cool I really like this, my mind is already buzzing with ideas. Although I could see having to constant pump buttons would get annoying after awhile.

I really hope you use this and make a game from it cause I'm looking forward to playing it.

EDIT:

I've just had an idea about the controls. Maybe have one button to press and have the player hold left or right depending on whether they want the tail to pump left of right. For example if I hold left and press space it's as if I just pressed left in the current control system and if I hold right and press space it's as if I just pressed right in the current control scheme.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:05:08 AM by SelfTitled » Logged

Fuzz
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:53:15 AM »

Wasn't Edmund making a game with the same name?
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:15:16 AM »

Ah yeah, I remember that demo. Obviously I named this test after the fish and not Edmund's project, but odds are when you pick a one-word name somebody will have used it. Anyway, it's just a working title.

@SMRobot: I'm considering it... this test was really just for fun, to see if I could build controls that worked (and learn how to use GM), but I do have an idea of how I could turn it into an actual game.

Quote from: SelfTitled
Although I could see having to constant pump buttons would get annoying after awhile.
I'm usually not a fan of repeated button-presses, but when the player decides the rhythm and chooses which button to press it's not as annoying I think as "press X to not die". Also put in a maximum speed, so you can't go too far overboard with the key presses (or at least there's no incentive to do so)...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:02:59 AM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

JustinGameDesign
Level 1

Sprite artist and indie game dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »

Wow, that's pretty neat!  It really does simulate the movements of a fish pretty well.  My only concern would be how difficult precise movements might be.  As long as you don't require to much precision--make the pond fairly large--you could have a lot of fun with something like this.  Maybe gather an entire school and have them follow the leader.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 12:59:49 AM »

Precision is a concern, yeah. Specific moves, if any, would have to be optional or it could be very frustrating. I like the school of fish idea, actually. That could be interesting.

I've been playing around with the prototype some more. This is what I have now:

http://www.ninjadodo.net/temp/guppy/guppy_v02.zip

UPDATE:

- scrolling level: more space to move around, camera follows

- A predator fish to be avoided: currently just random ambient movement (needs search AI)

- you can hide in the shade of waterlilies

- neurotic (optional) bubble collecting

move around by alternating L & R arrow

R = reset
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:54:56 AM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

torch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 02:32:38 AM »

It's very cool.  I like the two button flipping tail to move about. 

I hope more comes from this design. 
JustinGameDesign
Level 1

Sprite artist and indie game dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 04:05:36 PM »

I like your additions.  My only request would be that the bubbles grow slightly larger--just to make them that much easier to grab.  Keep posting whatever else you come up with.

Nandrew
Level 0

Working on Cadence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:10:46 AM »

Random spitballing here, but ... have you considered looking in the direction of rhythm games? I mean, I was trying to ascertain exactly what made navigating this fish so great (and it really did feel cool) and I kinda felt that it was the timing and careful alternation of left/right to go forward that kinda got my body into a sort of "groove".

If you could make more aspects of this game revolve around regularity, timing and "beats", then I think you'd have a strong option for something pretty gosh-durn creative.

Either way, hope you do something with this.
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 10:14:03 AM »

Wow.. I really like the controls on this a LOT.  I had great control over this fish in just a few seconds.  For some reason it is just really natural and I have had very little problems in anticipating the movement of the fish.  It is really fun to move around even in this little demo world and the resemblance to real fish movement is rather striking. 

There are so many ways to take this little prototype I look forward to seeing what you might do with it.

Alterior
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 04:40:24 AM »

It's cute and intuitive.

Movements very fish like.
The being able to hammer on either only left or only right and make ever increasing circles is a bit weird.

Tis a cool prototype.

Time Travel is but a moment away!
ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 08:39:49 AM »

This was really neat!  It seemed like it became much easier to be precise when you were going faster.  Like, when you are going slowly, correcting your path kind of works against you by speeding you up, but once you are going fast works basically perfectly.  Maybe you could slow down the turning rate at low speeds, but make it use side fins to turn if you hold the key?  I guess I wouldn't worry about the controls when going slow, since fast is much more exciting anyway. 

I was just thinking that like 8-man multiplayer games of tag with this game would be crazy fun.  I've actually had this idea bouncing around in my head for a game about fish playing sports, but I was actually picturing more FPS-style controls.  Now it's going to be hard not to completely steal this control scheme!

Delightful little prototype!

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 08:46:59 AM »

You sir, is the shit Gentleman

This is a super excellent movement scheme! A bit challenging but never frustrating, and with a genuine feel to it.

Best of luck on this!
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »

Reminds me of a little game I once played called Fish Tank
http://armorgames.com/play/3255/fish-tank
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 04:28:17 AM »

Reminds me of a little game I once played called Fish Tank
http://armorgames.com/play/3255/fish-tank

That movement scheme is almost identical.  I think I still slightly prefer Guppy's controls just the way they are tuned.  Plus, I don't really enjoy the type of game that Fish Tank made with the movement mechanic.  It turns what could be a really fun way to control a fish and have fun with moving around and then confines you in a corridor type maze-avoider genre which I feel saps a lot of the joy from what Guppy's movement mechanic suggests to me.  I love just moving about the simple screen in Guppy versus crawling those Fish Tank mazes.

Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 07:00:18 PM »

Agreed. Just noting the similarity in control schemes
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 03:39:13 AM »

For the record, I had not played Fish Tank, but I agree there is a certain similarity. I think I can safely say though: there will be no lasers.

Been very busy lately so I haven't had time to do further tinkering, but I will be getting back to this soon.

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 03:42:18 AM »

I think I can safely say though: there will be no lasers.

Normally I would be opposed to such a statement... but in this case I agree.  Wink

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 11:35:50 AM »

Yup, thing with interesting/innovative control schemes is that if put in a super hardcore challenge type of game they just turn frustrating. Keep it a little more simple and sandboxy, so that the player can love the controls instead of ending up hating them.

You could propably add a few stones or bridge poles(circle shaped obstacles) here and there, but besides that I think you should keep the levels pretty open. Manouvering small corridors and mazes with those controls just wouldn't be as fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic