Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:05:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuppy v29 - win / mac / linux / android
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Guppy v29 - win / mac / linux / android  (Read 35059 times)
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2015, 04:37:46 AM »

I've got a version of Guppy running locally on a Mac mini and a few people have reported it working on other hardware as well. If anyone wants to try it out:

[edit: link removed, done testing]

NOTE: You may need to enable the running of non-appstore apps on your system for it to work.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 01:41:00 AM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2015, 01:59:32 AM »

There is now officially a Mac version:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/guppy/id1027442711?ls=1&mt=12

(alternatively available on itch.io)

Guppy was also recently greenlit on Steam and I've been pondering what to do with that... Thus far the Windows/Linux version has been free, while Android and now Mac are $1.99. My current thinking is to release a new paid Win/Linux version with a few minor improvements and additions: more varied rock formations, expanded level size. The free version (27.1) will still be available, so it will be more of an optional "if you want to support the game, here's some extra stuff" kind of thing. (these improvements are already present in the Mac version)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:23:56 AM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »

And finally, Guppy is now on iOS:

I've also updated the Windows and Ubuntu versions to version 28 (and Android to 1.2), which are now $2.00 on itch.io. This includes all the improvements for Mac/iOS, like slightly bigger levels and more varied rocks (and you can still get the old free version here).

Also submitted to IGF again. Last time was back in 2011 when it was Windows-only and had no sound or music, so I figured it was worth a second attempt. Still going to try and sort out the Steam release but otherwise, barring minor tweaks and fixes, that should be it.
(though I seem to keep saying that) Shrug

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2017, 07:57:14 AM »

So I've periodically edited the start of this devlog, but I haven't really posted any updates here since I more less wrapped this up...

There have been some new developments...

I released two updates, 28.1 and 28.2 with various fixes and improvements, among other things: better gamepad support in menus and co-op and preventing players from getting lost at level edges with tweaks to camera and borders.

v28.1

- fixed: camera moving away from lvl edge when zooming

- fixed: player hiding offscreen at lvl edges

- gamepad Retry prompt says A instead of R

- fixed: P2 music cues not resetting on restart

- fixed: incorrect program icon shown on title bar

- tweaks to fly spawn rate

v28.2

- added Quit icon to main menu

- added fullscreen toggle to options menu (in addition to ALT-ENTER)

- P2 can be spawned with gamepad (A), or removed (Y)

- added mini-ripple on P2 spawn and exit

Last year, Guppy was selected for the Now Play This festival in London and even got a mention in The Guardian as one of "13 fascinating games". It also got featured in the Awkward Arcade in Manchester and Edinburgh...

Now, there's a new trailer:

And finally, after getting Greenlit ages ago, Guppy is now also out on Steam! Toast LeftGrin

YAY! Gomez

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2018, 10:58:40 AM »

I made another update to Guppy...

Available on: Steam and itchio.

Some had indicated that while the game is kind of peaceful and relaxing it's also a bit stressful at times, so I thought I'd add the option to remove ALL predators for those who just want to swim around undisturbed by bigger fish... I also noticed that many players seem to be unaware of or unable to find how to activate co-op in the game so I created a menu option to add or remove the second player. This, and some other minor improvements.

Meanwhile, I was invited on the Fragments of Silicon Twitch stream and talked about how Guppy came to be plus some other things.

v29

- added option to remove predators (disables scoring)

- add/remove player 2 option added to pause menu

- spawn player 2 KB hotkey changed from ENTER to S

- fixed: broken bg parallax scrolling in P2 splitscreen view

- added gamepad combos to access secrets without KB or mouse

- added alternate bg rock variation for hidden BUBBLES-mode

- various minor tweaks

(Win/Mac/Linux only for now, Android update coming soon, iOS unknown)

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:05 AM »

Updated Android Guppy to version 29 (1.2.29), available on Google play and itchio.

Changes:

- various minor tweaks

I also wrote a short article, Designing Unconventional Input for Natural Movement, with lots of GIFs explaining how I created the movement for the game (and how you could approach something like it) which got featured on Gamasutra.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2018, 02:42:53 AM »

In 2015 I released an iOS version of Guppy, but after running into some persistent trouble with certificates and provisioning profiles (ugh) I was unable to keep updating it along with other platforms, until now...

I've finally released a new version (1.2.29) on iOS, adding the ability to remove predators, plus all the other changes since 2015.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2018, 02:15:57 AM »

And now I've updated the App Store OS X Mac version to 1.2.29 as well.

Though I would personally recommend getting this version on Steam or itchio if that's your platform (as those stores are just better all around)... but at least now those who get it on the App Store also have the latest version.

Changelist:

- add/remove player 2 option added to pause menu

- spawn player 2 KB hotkey changed from ENTER to S

- fixed: broken bg parallax scrolling in P2 splitscreen view

- various minor tweaks

This will likely be the last update as I have no plans to add more features and it's time to move on to other projects. Ninja

Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2018, 07:47:28 AM »

hahaha funny idea and design!
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2019, 03:47:11 AM »

Heads up to people who own Guppy on Mac or iOS:

On April 4th Guppy will be disappearing from the App Store.

My Apple Developer subscription is expiring April 4th 2019 and I will not be renewing it as it is currently costing more to keep the license (99 EUR/year) than the game is making in sales on Apple platforms, so I'm basically just burning money there.

Unfortunately, because of Apple's *ridiculous* policies - no other platforms do this - this also means Guppy will disappear from the Mac and iOS store as soon my subscription expires. You will no longer be able to buy or download it there.

The game WILL still be available on Steam (PC/Mac/Linux), itchio (PC/Mac/Linux/Android), Google Play (Android) and Kartridge (PC/Mac).

Unless the Mac or iOS version suddenly sells 50+ copies in the next month or two, April 4th will be the last day Guppy will be available for download on iOS and the Mac App Store, so if you own this version and want to keep it make sure to download it to your device before then.

To compensate for this unfortunate development, if you currently own the App Store version of Guppy I can send you a key for Steam, itchio or Google Play instead. Just send a picture of Guppy running on your iDevice or Mac (or other evidence of purchase) to ninjadodogames[at]gmail[dot]com with your preferred platform and I'll email you a key.

(note: Steam and itchio both also include the Mac version)

Sadly there is no other option for iOS as Apple does not support DRM-free distribution for that platform.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2019, 12:30:28 PM »

Huh. I was unaware that Apple requires you to pay a yearly fee to keep things available on the app store. That's quite draconian for a marketplace that boasts about the numbers of apps available on it.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2019, 12:57:01 AM »

Yup. Unfortunately.

"If your Apple Developer Program membership expires, your apps will no longer be available for download and you will not be able to submit new apps or updates." (source: https://developer.apple.com/support/renewal/)

I guess in a way it incentivizes devs to keep pumping out small throwaway apps or in-app purchases every year to get their money's worth for the distribution fee/dev subscription. It's really pretty unacceptable policy (when all other platforms have a one-off fee at most), but they get away with it cause they're Apple and the circular logic of "it's supposed to be more expensive cause it's supposedly more sophisticated".

It's a shame, cause I would prefer to be on more platforms, but I really can't justify the expense.

It was certainly an *interesting* challenge getting the game on Mac and iOS *cough*certificates provisioning profiles*cough*. I don't regret making a Mac and iOS version - it was nice to reach a few more players and kinda neat to play the game on iPad - but I would definitely not consider developing for Apple platforms again unless I was paid development costs in advance and guaranteed a featured spot, cause otherwise it pretty much does not make sense to do it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:24:01 AM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2019, 04:31:22 AM »

I wrote a short article earlier which got published in last year's PROCJAM - Seeds, an online magazine about procedural generation... talking about how procgen can help add some welcome variety to development, keeping things interesting.

Guppy - Procgen as Antidote to Development Boredom

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic