Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:46:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWings of Apocalypse
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wings of Apocalypse  (Read 2426 times)
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2009, 10:02:20 AM »

*Updated June 9th 2009*

Wings of Apocalypse DEMO is now available for Download!

TRAILER 1:

TRAILER 2:

SCREENSHOTS:

Minimum hardware requirements

Operating Systems:Windows XP or Vista

RAM: 256M

Processor:1.3 Ghz Intel Celeron M or any comparable AMD/Intel Processor

GPU: ATI 9000, Nvdia Geforce 4MX 32 MB or a equivalent OpenGL compatible GPU

150 MB of hard drive space is required !

Note: If you meet the minimum requirements and have performance issues please lower your resolution in 'Options' at the 'Display' menu.

Controls

Default controls are mapped to the keyboard. Movement controls are mapped to the arrow keys and fire is mapped to the 'Z' key. To activate your shield press the 'X' key on the keyboard. The controls may be changed in the Options menu under “Controls” by pressing the 'Esc' key anytime during gameplay. You may also use a gamepad to play this game.

Note: Please use the mouse to select the gamepad map and keyboard mapping menus.

Gameplay

Wings of Apocalypse sports much of the same gameplay mechanics as many other shoot ups but with a twist! Each character in the game has Deflector Shield in which he or she may deflect enemy attacks of the same color for a short period of time. For example; Naomi's Deflector Shield is Red, therefore she may only deflect Red enemy fire!

Depending on which character you choose, the difficulty of the game will change. Although the environment is exactly the same for each character, the opportunity to deflect enemy attacks are not. If the player chooses Roger he/she will be able to deflect almost all attacks because there are usually more blue enemies in the game. In other words Roger is easy difficulty, Bryan medium and Naomi Hard.

Known Issues

-On some system configurations Wings of Apocalypse has been known to perform poorly after the initial installation. If you are experiencing this, restart your computer to fix the problem.

-Performance is significantly decreased when the SLI feature is enabled for Nvidia video cards

-Wings of Apocalypse does not scroll properly when the SLI feature is enabled for Nvidia video cards

-If you use your keyboard or gamepad to select the keyboard or gamepad mapping menus you may have issues with your controls. A quick fix is to always select the keyboard or gamepad mapping menus with the mouse

-Windowed mode doesn't always work properly
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:17:12 PM by rekcah » Logged

Dr. Sleep
Level 0

Trust Me. I'm a Doctor.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:45:04 PM »

Your backdrops are absolutely sick, wish I'd been able to see more of them.

Now, let me preface this by saying that I'm not in any way adverse to a stiff challenge, but ouch, man. I'm only human here. Even in a game like Raiden or a Psykio curtain shmup bullets are highly visible, and really don't move all -that- fast.

Someone in your crew is obviously a designer. Aside from not being able to see the word "of," your logo is easily professional quality, and your character artwork is delicious. As such, be aware that red and blue are the two of the least-visible colors in the spectrum even if they're being produced on a monitor, and therefore are not-so-great colors for bullets.

Fr'example, Cave's absolutely sadistic "Guwange," (coming to an emulator near you) (I'm serious, go get this game NOW if you haven't played it) most of the levels in the game use a very dark palette, but the bullets tend to be cyan or magenta, which looks goofy when there's three of them on the screen, but starts to make a hell of alot more sense when there's 32,000 of them coming towards you.

Also, from an aesthetic standpoint (and I'm being a little hard on you because you set the bar really high with backdrops and static art, and I'm jealous) why are your explosions so anemic? I, as a player, want some feedback when I do something right. I want a giant ball of flame and peices of enemy ship spiraling to the ground.

Anyway, it's a really solid foundation, I just think it needs a little tuning.

rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »

First of all, thanks for the feedback!

Your backdrops are absolutely sick, wish I'd been able to see more of them.
Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like them! We tried to take a different approach when doing the backdrops than most shmups!

Now, let me preface this by saying that I'm not in any way adverse to a stiff challenge, but ouch, man. I'm only human here. Even in a game like Raiden or a Psykio curtain shmup bullets are highly visible, and really don't move all -that- fast.
Are you saying that the bullets are hard to see? If so that is really weird! We get more complaints that the bullets are visible but don't seem to fit the background than anything else. What kind of monitor do you have?

I have uploaded a video of me playing the game on "easy". I know, its kind of cheating for me to play since I made the game ( lol ) but I just wanted to show you how easy it is in the beginning since you make it seem impossible! I think you just neglected to use the delfector mechanic! You MUST absolutely take advantage of the deflector unless you are a hardcore shmuper! And, as I explained above in the gameplay section, Roger is easy, Bryan medium and is Naomi hard! In this video I'm playing as "Roger" (aka: Easy Mode).

VIDEO LINK:

Someone in your crew is obviously a designer. Aside from not being able to see the word "of," your logo is easily professional quality, and your character artwork is delicious. As such, be aware that red and blue are the two of the least-visible colors in the spectrum even if they're being produced on a monitor, and therefore are not-so-great colors for bullets.

Fr'example, Cave's absolutely sadistic "Guwange," (coming to an emulator near you) (I'm serious, go get this game NOW if you haven't played it) most of the levels in the game use a very dark palette, but the bullets tend to be cyan or magenta, which looks goofy when there's three of them on the screen, but starts to make a hell of alot more sense when there's 32,000 of them coming towards you.
I am a cave fan! I own several of there games such as Mushime-Sama, Espgaluda and DoDonPachi. Unfortunately I haven't played Guwange because, as far as I know, its only available in Japan! Unless you have a "supergun" and PCB for the arcade version or you live in Japan, how did you get to play this game? Although I have not played the game I can tell you that all of Cave's games are MUCH MUCH harder then WoA (Wings of Apocalypse) and I believe that the bullets in the Cave shooters and in mine are equally visible.

You should check out a game called "Clean Asia!". Im sure you've heard of it by now right? Cactus' well known shmup game, is one of the hardest shmups I've ever played! On the "China" level all the bullets are white... Which wouldn't be a problem if your character wasn't also white and didn't almost look like a bullet himself! But despite that, the game is still awesome and I never hear people complain about the character almost looking like a bullet LOL.... ITS A CONSPIRACY!!!

Also, from an aesthetic standpoint (and I'm being a little hard on you because you set the bar really high with backdrops and static art, and I'm jealous) why are your explosions so anemic? I, as a player, want some feedback when I do something right. I want a giant ball of flame and peices of enemy ship spiraling to the ground.
I guess I agree with you HAHA. Compared to other shooters the explosions may seen a bit "anemic" as you put it. I will take a note of this for the future.

Dr. Sleep
Level 0

Trust Me. I'm a Doctor.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 05:49:06 AM »

First of all, thanks for the feedback!

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like them! We tried to take a different approach when doing the backdrops than most shmups!
Your very welcome!

Your backdrops actually brought Square's "Einhander" to mind, and that's not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination.

Are you saying that the bullets are hard to see? If so that is really weird! We get more complaints that the bullets are visible but don't seem to fit the background than anything else. What kind of monitor do you have?
I have a big, high-end flat panel with a 3ms refresh, so sorry, but that's not it. I'd just bump the brightness of the bullets up like 30%, and that'd probably solve that problem, for my anyway. Now if anyone's complaining about the bullets looking like Skittles, well, that's between you and them. Wink (more about that later)

I have uploaded a video of me playing the game on "easy". I know, its kind of cheating for me to play since I made the game ( lol ) but I just wanted to show you how easy it is in the beginning since you make it seem impossible! I think you just neglected to use the delfector mechanic! You MUST absolutely take advantage of the deflector unless you are a hardcore shmuper! And, as I explained above in the gameplay section, Roger is easy, Bryan medium and is Naomi hard! In this video I'm playing as "Roger" (aka: Easy Mode).
Now -that- might have something to do with it. When you pick a character and there's a difference of difficulty, I'm gonna say that "EASY" "MEDIUM" or "HARD" should show up in flashing, three-inch tall letters somewhere on the screen. I think I can speak for the internet here when I say that as a leisurely consumer of information, I don't always read everything that I'm supposed to read, especially when it's explained in more than five words that aren't as tall as my thumb.

Now I -did- try all three characters, but I couldn't tell you in what order I played them. I -did- know about the deflector, but I still got slapped like ten times in a row. Who knows, maybe this just ain't my game.

I am a cave fan! I own several of there games such as Mushime-Sama, Espgaluda and DoDonPachi. Unfortunately I haven't played Guwange because, as far as I know, its only available in Japan! Unless you have a "supergun" and PCB for the arcade version or you live in Japan, how did you get to play this game? Although I have not played the game I can tell you that all of Cave's games are MUCH MUCH harder then WoA (Wings of Apocalypse) and I believe that the bullets in the Cave shooters and in mine are equally visible.
I have Guwange on the MAME emulator. I don't like ganking games off the internet, but the thing was realeased in 2000, does not have a western release, and ain't gonna get one, so that's the only way you're gonna get your hands on it. And while I respect your respect for Cave games, I can do the first level of Guwange without dying (which isn't unheard of) but I can't get past the grey ship in WoA (shrug).

You should check out a game called "Clean Asia!". Im sure you've heard of it by now right? Cactus' well known shmup game, is one of the hardest shmups I've ever played! On the "China" level all the bullets are white... Which wouldn't be a problem if your character wasn't also white and didn't almost look like a bullet himself! But despite that, the game is still awesome and I never hear people complain about the character almost looking like a bullet LOL.... ITS A CONSPIRACY!!!
Oh yes, I've played my fair share of Catushooters. I think it was Seizuredome that gave me the idea to put the health ticker right above the main character's head in Arc & Malice. Anywho, I've noticed that people seldom have any issue confusing a game's character with a bullet. There are a half-a-dozen theories as to -why- this is swirling around in my head ATM, but suffice to say that it doesn't seem to be a problem, even when it "should" be. I dunno, maybe add a frame of animation to the bullets. After going back to Guwange, I noticed that the bullets in that game all seem to have a few frames of animation, which really makes them pop out. You hear all the time that there are certain animals out there who don't see colors or shapes, but motion. Humans still have alot of that wiring left, so maybe give that a try?

I guess I agree with you HAHA. Compared to other shooters the explosions may seen a bit "anemic" as you put it. I will take a note of this for the future.
Everyone loves feedback. Go back to the Clean Asia example. In that game, sh*t blows the f*ck -up-.

rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »

I have Guwange on the MAME emulator. I don't like ganking games off the internet, but the thing was realeased in 2000, does not have a western release, and ain't gonna get one, so that's the only way you're gonna get your hands on it. And while I respect your respect for Cave games, I can do the first level of Guwange without dying (which isn't unheard of) but I can't get past the grey ship in WoA (shrug).

HAHA... Although the mini boss has a set firing pattern it moves around which makes it a bit more difficult it seems; which is what I was going for but its not too difficult as you could see in the video. But again, thanks for your feed back!

I'll definitely how to check out Guwange on the MAME emulator. Im surprised I didnt already know that there was a rom out for this game !
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:17:33 PM by rekcah » Logged

rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:16:48 PM »

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to let you guys know that I have uploaded a updated version of the Demo which remedies the difficulty problem! Hope you guys in enjoy! And thanks for feedback in advance!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic