Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:12:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1313976 times)
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2009, 04:24:07 AM »

Click to launch applet!

It's an alpha version, so there might be crashes. You can read some background and insight on my blog available from the game page.

The main inspiration for this game is Infiniminer, but it's going to move in a more Dwarf Fortress way, gameplay wise. =)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:12:10 AM by Notch » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:36:53 AM »

Oh hell, that's pretty cool. I just dig around in the ground a bit, and suddenly I'm in this underground cave! Corny Laugh Hand Thumbs Up Right Great sense of exploration already.

Do you use a pre-existing 3d engine? Performance seems to be pretty good. I got more than 100 fps over ground; then I went underground and strangely, it dropped to 50-60 fps, although only a couple of blocks were on the screen. But yeah, it feels really fluid regardless.

I'm interested in hearing what you plan to do with this. Will it be multiplayer?
increpare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 04:39:41 AM »

the animations're fantastic. 

it's generally really derivative at the moment of Infiniminer.

building is so much more fun with nicely textured blocks Smiley

i hope you make something really good of this, dude; i think it has a lot of potential.

are the landscapes pg at the moment, or selected from a list?  the variations is cool Smiley
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 04:44:48 AM »

I plan on having several game modes: (copied and pasted from the blog)

Creative mode

You’ve got infinite materials and build without any delay. Can be played both as singleplayer and as multi player.
You can share the maps with other players somehow. Perhaps just share the actual .level file manually?

Survival mode

Singleplayer / cooperative. You have a health bar and need to eat in order to keep healthy. You have to gather the materials you wish to use, and construction takes time. Mining through stone is slower than through dirt.
Monsters, animals, play on levels made in Creative mode, or play on random levels.

Does this mode need a goal?

Team survival mode

Same as Survival mode, except players are divided into two or more teams.

Fortress mode

After having built a level in Creative or Survival mode, you and your friends connect to another fortress made by some other people. The map gets bigger so it fits both maps, and you play a game on this map. Perhaps Capture the Flag, perhaps something else

The last two modes will have weapons and fighting. Probably with arrows with proper physics, so you'd aim diagonally up towards whatever you want to hit.

The game engine was written from scratch in java. The visibility culling is very naive still, it just culls against the view frustum. I'd like to do some occlusion culling as well as that would really speed up the indoors areas.

The map is randomly generated.
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:45:48 AM »

Did you get anything in java console? (in firefox you can find it from the help menu, not sure about other browsers)
increpare
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 05:17:32 AM »

I can't remember if this was possible in infiniminer (probably due to the extended range in your version), but yeah, the 'bridges' thing is great.  I actually started experiencing mild vertigo as I was building a really tall/narrow tower (I had to edge out over each ledge to attach a new block). 

Yeah; just building stuff cooperatively is great fun.  Whence my recommendation that you aim for networking capabilities first Smiley

the lighting works really well also Smiley
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 05:19:44 AM »

I'll start work on network code either tonight or tomorrow. It's one of those things I need to finish early on in the project, both for balancing, and for debugging.

I'm going for the full security version where everything you do is verified by the server, including movement.
Evil-Ville
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 05:26:59 AM »

Here's a video of a castle I made

Also a screenshot

increpare
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 05:34:15 AM »

an impressive edifice!
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 06:54:48 AM »

<3

etc.

stop killing my free time ):

oh and notch:

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:14:54 AM by jwaap » Logged

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 07:17:32 AM »

[img=http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4667/minecraft.th.jpg]

I made this earlier

Evil-Ville
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 08:46:40 AM »

Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 09:00:43 AM »

THIS IS THE BEST GAME I'VE PLAYED EVER! BETTER THAN SPELUNKY. Anyway, just make it an MMO and it will be awesome. Like a singeplayer and multiplayer and saving your buildings would be awesome Coffee
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 09:12:24 AM »

My lil' bro tried this on his computer and got this

vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »

Well, when an alpha keeps drawing me back to play it, you know you've got something good. I can't wait to see what this game becomes.

And Evil-Ville, what is that thing inside your temple? A tree of some sort?
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 10:24:20 AM »

Hitler's Secret Bunker is found

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »

>   

hitlers secret space curl

Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »

We need a way to save our levels  Mock Anger but other than that I am so addicted. I already built a huge castle on the mountain.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:37:14 PM by Navineous » Logged
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 04:26:59 PM »

I really like this, you don't have to download any XNA related stuff so it's already better than Infiniminer. Would it be too much of an ask for some half-height blocks to create staircases that you can walk up instead of having to jump everywhere? Or a retexture tool so we can repaint blocks instead of deleting them, selecting another block type and pasting it in. It would greatly speed up construction of underground superbases.
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 04:34:19 PM »

I made a castle! Normally it would be night and there would be lightning, but alas, those things do not exist.

My friend tried to make a pirate ship, but it was too fail to post.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic