Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:53:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1313961 times)
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1180 on: October 12, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »

Are you still falling?

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: October 12, 2010, 06:49:34 PM »

<reetva> Minecraft needs oxygen.  Just have it act as if it was light.  Not that it would be affected by torches, of course.  But you could have (very expensive) oxygen emitters of some sort.  Or something like that.

Inspired by this story.

Imagine torches that go out faster when you go deeper/higher.  I am very pleased with this idea.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
HDSanctum
« Reply #1182 on: October 13, 2010, 12:30:23 AM »

I just switched to a server where you can /spawn.
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: October 13, 2010, 12:57:40 PM »

<reetva> Minecraft needs oxygen.  Just have it act as if it was light.  Not that it would be affected by torches, of course.  But you could have (very expensive) oxygen emitters of some sort.  Or something like that.

Inspired by this story.

Imagine torches that go out faster when you go deeper/higher.  I am very pleased with this idea.

That'd be awesome, I can imagine digging ventilation shafts or something to get more oxygen and make torches last longer... and maybe you could suffocate if you close yourself in a tiny hole for too long...

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: October 13, 2010, 02:20:38 PM »

Inspired by this story.

That'd be awesome, I can imagine digging ventilation shafts or something to get more oxygen and make torches last longer... and maybe you could suffocate if you close yourself in a tiny hole for too long...
Yes please. Also make it so you can capture canaries and use them as warnings of low oxygen.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1185 on: October 13, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »

I think 1-block high ledges with enough space above them for a person to stand should act as if they had ladders on them - that is, just press forward and you'll climb onto them. Greatly diminishes the jumping required. Maybe it would only work for certain block types - glass and diamond blocks could be slippery - but it wouldn't really matter since all it would change is the amount of times you press space.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1186 on: October 13, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »

oh no Sad

I was finding so much stuff that I didn't bother to periodically take my stuff to the surface. All the gold and diamond I found....
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1187 on: October 13, 2010, 05:21:55 PM »

Okay, so here's a really useful thing that I desperately need in Minecraft.

WHEN IT CRASHES, GIVE ME MY MOUSE BACK!!!

OSX Snow Leopard. When Minecraft crashes, that's it, no mouse. I have to try to remember the keyboard shortcut for force quit to get it back. It's quite a pain.

I figured out how to get Enter to work on the multiplayer server screen - by holding down shift and pressing enter. Why do I have to hold down shift? This makes no sense. What? I might press Enter by mistake? I might press shift+Enter by mistake, I can touch type.

Otherwise my only other complaint is that this game is like crack and I can't stop playing it. This is unacceptable. I would prefer to have more free time but I keep playing Minecraft.

I usually just CMD+TAB out and close the window.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 14, 2010, 07:02:51 AM »

I think 1-block high ledges with enough space above them for a person to stand should act as if they had ladders on them - that is, just press forward and you'll climb onto them. Greatly diminishes the jumping required. Maybe it would only work for certain block types - glass and diamond blocks could be slippery - but it wouldn't really matter since all it would change is the amount of times you press space.
I guess thats the point of the 1/2 high blocks, they work that way.
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1189 on: October 14, 2010, 07:06:22 AM »

Somehow recently has taken over all my friends lives. We've got a Multiplayer server setup now for all of us. Some of my friends have been spending like 5+ hours on it a day. I'm sure Notch doesn't need any more pats on the back but the way it has managed to drag most of my immediate social group away from other games to just to focus on building a town together is really awesome.

We've even just had our first bout drama when we found one of us was cheating and have had to destroy a lot of his stock since.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 14, 2010, 11:04:31 AM »

Somehow recently has taken over all my friends lives. We've got a Multiplayer server setup now for all of us. Some of my friends have been spending like 5+ hours on it a day. I'm sure Notch doesn't need any more pats on the back but the way it has managed to drag most of my immediate social group away from other games to just to focus on building a town together is really awesome.

We've even just had our first bout drama when we found one of us was cheating and have had to destroy a lot of his stock since.
How do you 'cheat' in multiplayer when there's nothing to do but build things right now?  Sad
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1191 on: October 14, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »

spawning blocks and materials perhaps?
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1192 on: October 15, 2010, 07:52:13 AM »

spawning blocks and materials perhaps?

This. We had everyone as ops so we could all teleport around. When the rest of us were mining for diamond and he was giving himself records, obsidian, whatever he wanted kind of made a mockery of it all. Sure it's just artificial scarcity but it was the fun of the challenge. And him abusing something he'd been given in trust.

It was even more sad that his reaction being caught was to throw a tantrum and start placing bedrock about the place, so we had to use a map editor to remove it.

Thing is I'm not even complaining. It's a testament to the game that these kind of situations can arise.

st33d
« Reply #1193 on: October 15, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »

We had a VIP system on our server that allowed you to teleport, but guests couldn't spawn blocks. Maybe that's what you would want?
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 16, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »

That's not the only way of cheating. Due to a chest update glitch you can duplicate items with the right timing, as many times as you want. It means that you can turn a single block of anything into an unlimited amount of the same resource. Even blocking item spawning doesn't stop it (since it's a completely unrelated problem).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:49:42 AM by TwilightVulpine » Logged
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 17, 2010, 07:14:45 AM »

The problem is that the server has no container logic at the moment (it was purely written in the GUI, and I haven't taken the time to fully port it over yet), so it trusts the client. If two clients do things at the same time, you get a synch problem and a duped item.

It's annoying, and I will fix it. But it's a bug, not a cheat, so it's hard for server admins to prevent. :/
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 19, 2010, 07:52:03 AM »

Check this out. Best tree house i have ever seen. I love the roots. (obviously not by me, don't know who did it).

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 19, 2010, 09:44:56 AM »

wow
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 19, 2010, 10:13:06 AM »

Aaaargh, I just started getting back to being productive again, STOP TRYING TO ADDICT ME AGAIN WITH YOUR AWESOMENESS. Crazy

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1199 on: October 19, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »

So I guess Minecraft is pretty popular n-- HOLY COW LOOK AT THAT TREE!

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic