Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:20:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1313967 times)
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 25, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »

Will I have to set my obsidian on fire then? Or is there an actual Fire block? And what happens on the other end of the portal? In particular, can I open a portal from the other side?

On second thoughts, I can wait another week until the update and find out for myself! Smiley
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: October 25, 2010, 03:50:08 PM »

It's probably a good idea to ease the obsidian mining by finding a spot where part of the portal shape has already naturally formed, and build the rest.

Of course, that means going very, very low, where now more evil baddies will be waiting.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1242 on: October 25, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »

Here's the gist.

Use flint to set the ground tiles in the portal on fire = creates a portal in that 2x3 space.
An identical portal is placed automatically in that approximate spot in the underworld.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 25, 2010, 04:48:01 PM »

Also, it's much easier to do a lava mold instead of mining obsidian and building it like that.  I think getting a portal is supposed to be very late game anywho, judging by the benefits and the difficulty, it's not something that beginning players are going to be going strait for.

Hm, my current question is which of the new rocks will be used for the lamps.  My guess is the rock in hell which burns forever would be the rock, but there are also rocks that glow which many people think (not naively) would be used as the new light source.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
RCIX
« Reply #1244 on: October 25, 2010, 06:37:35 PM »

I hope the portal doesnt have to be 2x3 >.< i already made my frames 2x2 Tongue
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1245 on: October 25, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »

They already said it would be 2x3. Possibly larger in later implementations.

There's a loading screen between the two planes too, so you can't minecart through or anything.

AUST
Zaphos
« Reply #1246 on: October 26, 2010, 03:38:45 PM »

biomes!  http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1409584546/some-work-on-biomes
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1247 on: October 26, 2010, 11:51:14 PM »

I was walking around here for a bit:

This here's the backup server for taking a gander.  Try the warp points, you'll be amazed:

worldfair.dyndns.org

Honestly, it's the most incredible minecraft server I think I've ever seen.  I post this in the hopes that Notch sees it and gets a smile.  Look man!  Look what you have started!  CRAZY  Beer!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
ink.inc
« Reply #1248 on: October 27, 2010, 12:43:13 AM »

For fear of my addictive personality, I do not think I should ever play this game.

Ever.
st33d
« Reply #1249 on: October 27, 2010, 12:51:46 AM »

You be hooked to it for a week or so and then get bored of it and look forward to the next update.

It's worth having simply to know what the fuss is about, and it's good homework if you make games.
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: October 27, 2010, 04:22:22 AM »

This just occurred to me: Since the rock in hell burns forever, could you put some in a furnace and have an everlasting furnace?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1251 on: October 27, 2010, 05:43:23 AM »

Nope. Because a furnace is ostensibly the size of one brick and you can only put in smaller things (bucket/coal/stick). You could put in a plank block but that would likely involve smashing it into kindling.

AUST
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1252 on: October 27, 2010, 07:57:07 AM »

Perhaps there will be a furnace recipe that includes the hell rock.
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: October 27, 2010, 08:27:48 AM »

I need to get my flash game out the f'ing door before this comes out...nooooooooo

Toucantastic.
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: October 27, 2010, 08:33:13 AM »

I think using hell stones for powering furnaces has been already unconfrmed.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1255 on: October 27, 2010, 09:01:41 AM »

For fear of my addictive personality, I do not think I should ever play this game.

Ever.

I was worried about that too.

Then I broke down and bought it yesterday.

...What have I done?

As long as I'm here, I might as well ask one of those ridiculous n00b questions I'll regret posting later.

Why can't I craft a torch with a stick and coal at the crafting bench?  Durr...?
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: October 27, 2010, 10:25:35 AM »

Ever.

I was worried about that too.

Then I broke down and bought it yesterday.

...What have I done?

As long as I'm here, I might as well ask one of those ridiculous n00b questions I'll regret posting later.

Why can't I craft a torch with a stick and coal at the crafting bench?  Durr...?

You can. You're probably trying to use a piece of flint, which looks very similar to coal.
Ashkin
« Reply #1257 on: October 27, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »

Coal is the ore you find in the ground. Flint comes from gravel. Flint is pointier and shinier than coal.
Place coal on top of a stick for a torch.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: October 27, 2010, 10:35:39 AM »

Yeah, you're probably confusing coal and flint. Happens with a lot of people.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: October 27, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »

Nope. Because a furnace is ostensibly the size of one brick and you can only put in smaller things (bucket/coal/stick). You could put in a plank block but that would likely involve smashing it into kindling.
Considering that you can stuff a bunch of ore, each which is the size of a brick into a furnace, and also you can store a small piece of the earth into one chest, I don't think he worries about that too much.

-Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic