Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:21:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1321127 times)
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #1860 on: May 18, 2013, 04:50:38 AM »

This game started the wave of YouTube capitalism.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1861 on: May 18, 2013, 11:12:59 AM »

This game started the wave of YouTube capitalism.
^notch has a lot of crimes to answer for

Droop

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1862 on: May 19, 2013, 08:33:21 PM »

e) no one wants to tell Notch his art sucks
as if notch even does anything with minecraft anymore

Conker534
« Reply #1863 on: May 19, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »

Yeah

We're not cool enough for them
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: May 20, 2013, 01:02:32 AM »

And if I'm allowed to be a cynical douche, the only reasons I can think for not updating the art is either:
a) Because of the merchandise
b) Because they're lazy
c) Or maybe because for some strange reason they genuinely like it

Probably because now its iconic
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1865 on: May 20, 2013, 04:34:28 AM »

Probably because now its iconic

They don't need to change the blueprint, the creeper can still look like a creeper: green, gaping maw and four legs on the bottom, they just have to update it so it doesn't look like it was made by, you know, a programmer, which it was (no offense). There is literally no reason for the game to look as unpleasant as it does at this point. It just seems like they're playing it safe, and are afraid people won't welcome change. After all, the game is still selling like hot cakes, so financially speaking they are not doing anything wrong.

This is not my main gripe with minecraft at this point by the way, but given their resources it seems something easily fixable.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: May 20, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »

meh it fit the main feature which is "blocks" so it's coherant, if you followed the prod you would know he had try different things, but it's also iconic. A lot of the texture pack make the block looks like even more out of place, you can't remove blocks as a visual feature.

siskavard
« Reply #1867 on: May 20, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »

I've never used any mods, I always preferred the stock graphics.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1868 on: May 20, 2013, 09:18:09 AM »

If they start improving the art now, it will be an unending task. It's obvious that in minecraft, the focus is on game mechanics.
I'm sure that the next cosmetic step will happen by reducing the blocks size or sthg functionalist like that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:10:59 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1869 on: May 20, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »

Thing is: when Minecraft was just starting to take off the vibrant low-res stuff was actually really befitting of the equally lighthearted, simple, social-creation-centric game. And by the time it started to get to where it is today, those graphics had become so iconic that I don't think they could be changed without considerable frustration from almost everyone who's grown accustomed to the way there are now. I do, however, think there ought to be an additional, updated, default texture pack. Best of both worlds and all.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1870 on: May 20, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »

I don't think anyone here meant significantly upping the resolution or increasing the polygon count. It's just that it's not very good pixel art.
I only ever use CoterieCraft textures, which are the same resolution but I think are far superior, and often called 'the new default'.
A reference if anyone's interested: http://24.media.tumblr.com/b449e0c265fb41e6c98e2d02d0aae0c9/tumblr_mf2qezmkRu1qbsw9ro1_1280.jpg

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1871 on: May 20, 2013, 01:37:14 PM »

I particularly favor Jolicraft or Eldpack (and continuation project), which are both 16x, the same resolution that vanilla minecraft is using. But if I'm feeling a little bit frisky I go to Dokucraft 32x, anything higher than that just looks very silly to me.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1872 on: May 20, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »

DokuCraft 16x is the best texture pack.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 20, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »

There is also the non threatening aspect of minecraft's graphics that give it a very casual/not formal look that is appealing in some sense, a sense of "I could do it too" which immediately provoke sympathy and help go in the game without too much expectation. It's like the perfect combinaison, mod help it further because it encourage people to "create" and customize, which is a main aspect and draw of the gameplay, it's like a virtous feedback circle. There is also the contrast of the apperent simplicity that build up into increasing complexity (block to vista).

I'm so glad minecraft happen to vulgarize and made acceptable simple 3D (opposed as complex normal map bullshit) so we can see more simple 3D game.

Je5hu4ver
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:22 AM »

This is way too much fun Durr...? Built a bridge:

Unfortunately (?) the black screen issue hasn't reproduced a third time, so I don't know if there was anything in the console.

I'm thinking that actual persistent servers where groups of people (such as a party of entrepreneurial tiggers) could just build stuff cooperatively would be the most awesome thing. Not sure how feasible that is technically though.

So thats what Minecraft used to look like in 2009^^

I didnt know taht they updated the gfx :D
shadowrevolution
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: August 31, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »

Er.... Minecraft in 2009.   

RANDOM EMOTICONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Cave Story Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Evil Sad Shocked Cool Huh? Roll Eyes Tongue  Embarrassed Undecided No No NO Kiss Well, hello there! Tears of Joy Cry Yawn Tired Beer! Gentleman My Word! Beg Apoplectic Outraged Mock Anger Screamy Blink Droop Concerned Crazy Epileptic Big Laff Durr...? Corny Laugh Giggle Shrug Facepalm Who, Me? Waaagh! Panda Tiger Noir Wizard Ninja Gomez Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right Hand Money Left Hand Money Right Hand Point Left Hand Point Right Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right Bro Fist Left Bro Fist Right Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right Toast Left Toast Right Hand Clap Hand Any Key Hand Pencil Hand Joystick  Pixel 0F Pixel 00 Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 25 Pixel 08 Pixel 18 Pixel 17 Pixel 38 Pixel 0C Pixel 0B Pixel 1A Pixel 1D Pixel 11 Pixel 31 Pixel 36 SMB Mario SMB Brick SMB Question SMB Inert SMB Block SMB Cracked SMB Castle Battlements 1 SMB Castle Battlements 2 SMB Castle Door SMB Castle Flag ZEL Link ZEL Moblin ZEL Dirt ZEL Rock ZEL Tree ZEL Green Wall 1 ZEL Green Wall 2 ZEL Green Wall 3 ZEL Green Wall 4 ZEL Green Wall 5 ZEL Green Wall 6

Wasn't that fun?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: August 31, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »

Wasn't that fun?

not really, no
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1877 on: August 31, 2014, 11:48:29 AM »

2009 is when I started playing, and it was already great.
Alpha Beta Gamer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: September 01, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »

Hmm this game looks ok I guess. Don't think it'll ever take off though...   Wink
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1879 on: September 15, 2014, 10:07:17 AM »

Felt like this needed bringing up, in light of today's events. Notch, man you did a really great job on this! May all your future projects be as successful as this.

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic