Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:29:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1319924 times)
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 05:10:21 PM »

^^^
What it is a save. Without one I will go crazy  Big Laff  :D
jivemasta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 05:34:49 PM »

I really like this, you don't have to download any XNA related stuff so it's already better than Infiniminer. Would it be too much of an ask for some half-height blocks to create staircases that you can walk up instead of having to jump everywhere? Or a retexture tool so we can repaint blocks instead of deleting them, selecting another block type and pasting it in. It would greatly speed up construction of underground superbases.

Yeah, I could never get infiniminer to run right. But when it did, it was terrible to find a server to play on, and when you finally did, it was usually full of idiots that would blow your stuff up. This definitely beats it in that aspect.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »

^^^
What it is a save. Without one I will go crazy  Big Laff  :D
Tamer? Shocked

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 05:56:48 PM »

^^^
Without it I will go mad?  Gentleman
Zaphos
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »

Finding caves is really fun ... it'd be great if a game like this could pull geometry that other players create into my world; I'd love to play around in some of the places that people have posted screenshots of Smiley
Evil-Ville
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 07:02:04 PM »

and make it so you have to chop trees and mine rocks to make things.

Would you really want to be the player who has to hack away at trees all the time just so that other players can build cool stuff?

The fun in this game clearly is in building; it's a bit like a huge virtual box of Lego. I don't think that forcing players to do other things would help the game at all.

Maybe you didn't read the part about survival mode and creative mode.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 07:18:24 PM »

will...will there be siege machines?

This is AWESOME, btw. and unlike Infiniminer this actually RUNS on my computer. gets a bit choppy sometimes but not unplayably so.

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »

I love this game. It's awesome!
Things to add that you're probably gonna do:
More block variation
SAVE!
Doodads? (like, trees, crystals, furniture, etc.)
Different types of 'mobs'
Slopes/steps?
and multiplayer with chat for this game would be so awesome, but you were going for that already I assume.

Keep up the good work!  Gentleman
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »

Yes, agreeing on the thing about the monsters.

I think if there were different kinds of monsters that were spawned based on the depth (deeper=stronger, uglier monsters), it would be totally awesome. When I'm exploring cave systems (which are awesome), I keep wanting a monster to jump out and for me to have to courageously slay it (or courageously flee, but you know, same thing).
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 08:46:41 PM »

And now screenshots of my creation, because the memories must live on!

I unintentionally created some mines to the left that you can see a bit of. Pretty fun stuff.

I was on the top of that when I took the first picture. BEHOLD THE TOWER OF MIGHT.
Creating mobs off the edge at the top of that tower is not as fun as it sounds :/
Pretty bland tower no? But alas, I had fun making it. THIS IS WAY TOO COOL TO NOT BE FINISHED! =D
Also, being inside/on top of the tower brought the FPS to 30-20, but being out brought it back up to 70-80ish. It ran pretty well on my computer either way, barely any lag at all.

This brings back memories of playing with legos... ah the good times...  Tears of Joy
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 08:53:33 PM »

monsters would be awesome indeed.

oh yeah and
gets a bit choppy sometimes but not unplayably so.
so okay a minor lie, it got really choppy a few times but mostly ran at a steady 20-30, which is good for my computer. Like serious, that's about how fast everything runs.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »

I just found out about this! It is way too amazing. Is there plans for multiplayer?
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 12:13:47 AM »

I made... a second castle!

(A cooler one than before!)

---

Hey, is that some sort of castle over there? We should go take a look!

Hey, this is pretty cool. Hey, wait a second, those staircases seem off.

Aha! I knew that had to mean something! I wonder what's in there. Let's go check!

Wow, crates full of ancient treasure! We'll be rich!

---

I love this so much.

The cliff was just so awesome, I had to make something out of it.

Also, that cave system in the cliff is gigantic. The thing goes all the way from the top of the cliff (there's holes everywhere, they were a serious hindrance to construction) to the very bottom of the level, and stretches, as far as I could tell, to every quadrant of the map. I couldn't find any small, independent caves. Just one huge cave. It was great.
Evil-Ville
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 12:36:52 AM »

Maybe you didn't read the part about survival mode and creative mode.

I did. I just have my doubts whether it is a good idea to make every single block "cost" something. Why would anyone want to spend half his play time mindlessly gathering resources? It's no fun.

It may not be fun to you but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to anyone else. Some people like slower pace. Besides if you don't want to gather resources you can just play the mode where you don't have to do it. That's how simple it is.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 12:37:48 AM »

The cock I made was just massive, much larger and more bulbous than the first one I made. Where the bottom of the level cuts off to the maximum height you can build to. It was such a thing of awe that Firefox decided to pack it in before I could snap a shot of that mofo. I feel cheated but hell I had my moment, which just happened to be a cock in the sun.
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 01:52:13 AM »

I love this game. It's awesome!
Things to add that you're probably gonna do:
More block variation
SAVE!
Doodads? (like, trees, crystals, furniture, etc.)
Different types of 'mobs'
Slopes/steps?
and multiplayer with chat for this game would be so awesome, but you were going for that already I assume.

All of those are confirmed, and are coming. =D

Someone mentioned building sometimes placing the block on the wrong side of a block, and I can confirm that that is indeed a bug, and that I can reproduce it on my computer at work. It seems that either some graphics card don't cull faces when picking, or I somehow manage to not enable back face culling.

I did. I just have my doubts whether it is a good idea to make every single block "cost" something. Why would anyone want to spend half his play time mindlessly gathering resources? It's no fun.

Of course, if there are ever monsters, then it may make sense to have special blocks like traps or lava or whatever "cost" something, so that you can't spam them all over the place. Just not the basic building blocks, I think.

It's a bit scary to try to shift the core of the game away from what's actually fun, but I'm still going to try it. I've got a feeling there's an interesting game on the sidelines of just building stuff.
If it TOTALLY sucks, I'll change it. It's not set in stone. Wink
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 03:34:52 AM »

^^^ Agreed
I'm still crazy until this gets a save  Big Laff
increpare
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 03:56:15 AM »

Also, while I'm making suggestions: a slow-walk key (e.g. Shift) would be cool to make the whole bridge building thing a bit easier, I just keep falling off a lot...
I like the excitement of falling off.  Would be even better if there was something *deadly* down below, like lava.
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 04:39:39 AM »

it hasn't ever crashed on me =]
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2009, 05:24:18 AM »

The ones getting crashes, could you let me know what graphics cards you have, please?

I've got a feeling I might be filling up graphics memory on complex maps.

Right now, I use 8 floats per vertex, worst case 3 quads per tile, 4 verts per quad, for a total of 256*256*64*8*4*3*4 bytes of ram. That's a whopping 1.5 gigabytes of graphics ram, but as I said it's worst case (think checkerboarding the entire map).

I'm going to add some kind of memory usage limiting, I think.. Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic