Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:44:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1321097 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: August 08, 2010, 03:41:16 AM »

Huh, I'm scared now.  Epileptic
gunmaggot
« Reply #601 on: August 08, 2010, 05:03:07 AM »

Haha :D

After multiplayer survival mode, I'm going to have to both do some balancing, and add some later game challenges of some kind. Potentially megabeasts. Or ill omens followed by a night of absolute horror (how would you see the omens if you're in a cave?)

Food also needs a few tweaks. At the moment, the most efficient way is to just run around randomly at day, killing pigs

:0

I was just at work thinking 'what minecraft needs is a megabeast that is an ill omen for a night of absolute horror'.  I pictured a really, really tall (~10 storeys) skinny figure with legs that fade into nothing (a Wendigo, basically - its lack of feet would make it easy for a large land-based creature to interact with the minecraft environments) surrounded by fog.  I pictured it being black with antlers and glowing eyes.  It would let out terrible howls.  Next night - lots and lots of zombies.  I also thought that its mere presence could temporarily put out torches.

EDIT:  Torches flickering as it howls would be awesome.
gunmaggot
« Reply #602 on: August 08, 2010, 05:09:13 AM »

Another good omen would be to have a big red eye appear on the moon and look around.
gunmaggot
« Reply #603 on: August 08, 2010, 05:13:11 AM »

I am way too obsessed with minecraft :/
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 08, 2010, 05:44:55 AM »

Another good omen would be to have a big red eye appear on the moon and look around.

That is creepy. Way creepy.

I just might end up doing it. :D
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: August 08, 2010, 05:47:07 AM »

What if you're underground? Maybe it could be that and torches.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: August 08, 2010, 06:46:37 AM »

Ooooh, I like omens, that's a pretty good idea. But I prefer subtle omens, ones that don't seem obviously creepy, but they might creep you out if you start imagining what they mean. The flickering torches was a pretty good idea but a moon with an eye in it just seems like overdoing it. How about making the moon as twice as big? Or even better, having no moon at all, this would add an extra stress during the zombie siege nights because we wouldn't be aware when the night was ending. Or making the animals start creeping out, furiously screaming (mooing, oinking, etc) and running away. Bats/birds flying at a distance would be pretty cool as well. It would also creep me out if I saw the dead corpse of a zombie in a cave, I would just assume a bigger and more ferocious monster would be roaming around.

I like where Minecraft is going, my brother is already too afraid to go into the caves and is playing in peaceful mode Cheesy
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 08, 2010, 07:01:18 AM »

How about stumbling into an eye-moon deep underground? Grin
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: August 08, 2010, 07:12:36 AM »

I think that it would be neat to have some random little things to help explain mobs. Like a grave under a tree that was freshly disturbed, or a dark shrine in the middle of a lava pool deep in a cave, or maybe a small nest in dirt in the side of a hill.

Also megabeasts would be cool, Ever since this picture, I have feared open water.

gunmaggot
« Reply #609 on: August 08, 2010, 07:51:14 AM »

I think that it would be neat to have some random little things to help explain mobs. Like a grave under a tree that was freshly disturbed, or a dark shrine in the middle of a lava pool deep in a cave, or maybe a small nest in dirt in the side of a hill.

Also megabeasts would be cool, Ever since this picture, I have feared open water.

Shocked
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: August 08, 2010, 08:02:31 AM »

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: August 08, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »

^
This would add some cool depth to it. Especially if it had a light gameplay interactivity, say, digging up the grave/shrine yielded some items but causes more zombies/skeletons to spawn the next night.

My ideas, because I'm not leaving them in the howling wastes:
Some sort of megabeast that only starts appearing after you strike Adminium for the first time, or some long game metric such as that. Every few nights it occupies a random open underground location in the general vicinity of the player. I think it should be nigh-on-invincible, bronze colossus style: that way you have no qualms about running but beating it would yield more satisfaction. Diamond golem?  Cheesy

I'd love to see at least one more animal mob, preferably a combative one to change up the daytime a bit. Perhaps a wolf or something: harmless unless approached directly, but it attacks when provoked and yields fur?

And I'm going to throw on a question:
I made a secret doorway through a painting. But every time I enter the game, as long as there is a space behind the painting, it falls off the wall. Just wondering if that's intentional or a bug or something.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: August 08, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »

Giraffes. We need giraffes.

Also, cactus growth needs to be regulated.

All that from one cactus.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:48:27 PM by Bood_War » Logged

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: August 08, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »

What is that gray and green circle in your inventory?  Concerned
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: August 08, 2010, 03:01:04 PM »

What is that gray and green circle in your inventory?  Concerned

Record. You can make a record player to play them on. Find them on creepers rarely.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Curseman
« Reply #615 on: August 08, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »

Don't do wacky stuff like giving the moon an eye.  Keep it subtle, and make it something that a player could miss if they don't know what they're looking for.  Maybe make it the sort of things that an ancient culture really might interpret as an omen.

Do you want to have different signs correspond to different events, or just have one sign, or have multiple signs, but where they don't match up to any given event?
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 08, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »

Heh, I spawned inside a hill. http://imgur.com/a/3MN61/X478U

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: August 08, 2010, 07:56:52 PM »

How about stumbling into an eye-moon deep underground? Grin

Oh, oh! Red eyes flickering at you from the darkness. You light a torch... and before you is nothing but a solid wall.

I'm now master of the overworld with my swanky forest castle and monster traps (don't ask how much time I've spent playing since my last post >_>), but if I saw those things I wouldn't go underground for a month.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #618 on: August 08, 2010, 10:30:56 PM »

Heh, I spawned inside a hill. http://imgur.com/a/3MN61/X478U
this is why this game is awesome.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: August 09, 2010, 01:39:50 PM »

A big, red eye in the moon would make me laugh, I think. The moon shifting to a slight sickening hue would make me worry, though. Torches acting up, as mentioned, would probably be the most effective, no question about it. I would go apeshit.

Might have some people, like I am now for example, try to lit caves by lava streams alone however.

So... it's a cliché... but some whispy, misty cloud textures floating around near ground? Could make them glow in a sickly way as well perhaps... or maybe we're getting to close to the red eye in the moon now?

Turning all burning light sources (including lava) to ghostly pale green...? Aaaah, I'm gonna stop now. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic