Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 06:06:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1320087 times)
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: September 01, 2010, 03:11:42 AM »

I wish that permadeath would be implemented.

The only thing holding me back is that I want singleplayer and multiplayer to be almost exactly the same game (in fact, it WILL be the same later on, as playing SP will run a local MP server), and I can't figure out what to do when you "permadie" on a permadeath server.

Any suggestions? Getting banned for the remainder of that level on that server?
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #721 on: September 01, 2010, 03:26:31 AM »

If you died in a permadeath server you'd go into spectator mode, or ghost mode, where you could whisper creepy sounds to the other players whereas those sounds would be indistinguishable to the cave sounds. Alternatively you'd turn into a zombie and had to accomplish some kind of task to regain your body, like finding a dark room or whatever. Okay, now I'm just rambling, that isn't permadeath at all. Kicking/banning would be just fine.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 01, 2010, 04:40:07 AM »

If you died in a permadeath server you'd go into spectator mode, or ghost mode, where you could whisper creepy sounds to the other players whereas those sounds would be indistinguishable to the cave sounds.

I used to have a MUD like this.

Nobody played it though.

Permadeath sounds like you'll have to make an exception to your "sp/mp is the same" rule. I'm so nice I'll even code it up for you:

Code:
if (IsSingleplayer())
    Permadeath();
else
    Respawn();

You can thank me later.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 01, 2010, 04:45:18 AM »

Flag their accounts. Make 'em respawn as zombies or something. The kasplodey ones.

Guaranteed fun.
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #724 on: September 01, 2010, 05:17:38 AM »

If you died in a permadeath server you'd go into spectator mode, or ghost mode, where you could whisper creepy sounds to the other players whereas those sounds would be indistinguishable to the cave sounds. Alternatively you'd turn into a zombie and had to accomplish some kind of task to regain your body, like finding a dark room or whatever. Okay, now I'm just rambling, that isn't permadeath at all. Kicking/banning would be just fine.

Actually given the ghost crap going around on the official forums the ghost idea is good and would be enjoyed by people. But it would suck for the player who died.

L4D versus mode implementation would be cool, just keep getting thrown into mob bodies. Including chickens.
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 01, 2010, 05:21:52 AM »

Being unable to build, just explore and talk, would feel adequate. I agree with kYn's ghost mode idea. If the players were also able to fly and go through objects, it would also make it less bad for them.

But since many players would be annoyed by having to wait until the next server reset(and since constant server resets would annoy the surviving players), being able to retrieve the body to revive would be a good idea. Alternatively, the player body could have to be rescued by another player in SMP(and there could be a reward to incentive that, like some of the dead player's items, a "soul gem" or something...). Of course, this would become difficult if the player died in the lava.

What about if there were multiple respawn areas and the player respawned in a different one every time he died? While it's not a permadeath system, the player would have to deal with being lost at least until they been in every respawn or until the players made roads conecting the respawn points.

Another option would be to have the player skin damaged (at least on that server) for every time they died, or at least making the amout of deaths visible in some other way. The competitiveness of most players would make them avoid dying.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 01, 2010, 05:23:29 AM »

I like the idea of being a ghost. Maybe instead of just making spooky noises they can mess with the other players, either by possessing mobs, or by some weak magic stuff. As the number of dead players increases, you'd get more ghosts messing with the survivors, so the game stays fast paced.

EDIT: I also like the idea of the living players retrieving the body.
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: September 01, 2010, 05:24:53 AM »

Some kind of super expensive magic ritual that other players can perform to revive dead friends. That would be cool and help foster a sense of community. Of course they could all be dicks and leave you dead but perhaps you gain "griefing" powers after a length of time to give them some incentive. The ability to place monster spawners or tnt or something.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 01, 2010, 06:37:41 AM »

Well, survival mode is just that - survival. You die, you lose. I agree that players should be able to hang around and observe at the very least, but if you can just bounce out of the grave every time, it isn't exactly survival-ish.

Atmosphere is important too and mortality certainly adds to it!
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #729 on: September 01, 2010, 06:50:18 AM »

But mortality when attempting to build or something kind of sucks.
If someone shows up and kills half the server, what then?
The admin can revive them, but all their progress is lost, or at least their items.

If it was a clear serverside switch, then maybe.

I think revival would be fine, but not easy. Maybe you have to like get an item from the fallen body, wherever it is, and bring it up to the clouds or something.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #730 on: September 01, 2010, 07:20:30 AM »

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves, this conversation is already branching out of of Notch's original question. Nonetheless, regarding the player resurrection, if one player choses to resurrect another, he'd have to bury his body at least 4 or 5 blocks of dirt deep and wait for one day cycle, I think this would be a simple enough gimmick instead of using potions/items or whatnot. Regarding the incentive, the other player in a ghost form would be able to annoy the other players, whispering, the torches would dim when a ghost was nearby, making it annoying if you follow some guy around in a cave, also it would attract monsters. Additionally if a dead body was lying around, the monsters would start feasting on his flesh and eventually become stronger, to the point of becoming mega beasts, so you would want to take care of the corpse.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 01, 2010, 12:15:44 PM »

Dear Notch,

It occurs to me that there's no trademark notice or privacy policy on your website. Do the lawyers not suggest that kind of stuff in your country? Given all of the user contributed stuff and the amount of users you have it seems like a time bomb not to have one.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: September 01, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »

Dear C418,

If you ever plan on changing up the Slime's sound, may I suggest chewing gum loudly with your mouth open?

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #733 on: September 02, 2010, 04:14:38 AM »

I think the mode of the server should dictate permadeath. In a SMP server you would want permadeath so that when shit goes down and a megabeast eats half your castle people aren't respawning, whereas in a more creative mood server the current infinite respawn of the current version would fit fine. I don't think respawning really fits the feel of fort vs world mode, is all.

God it's late I'm rambling. Good to hear you're thinking about it, Notch.

Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 02, 2010, 04:30:54 AM »

It occurs to me that there's no trademark notice or privacy policy on your website. Do the lawyers not suggest that kind of stuff in your country? Given all of the user contributed stuff and the amount of users you have it seems like a time bomb not to have one.

Minecraft is not a registered trademark, so there's not trademark notice. There is an explicit mention of copyright, though.
I should put up a privacy policy! Not out of fear of getting into legal trouble, but to inform people what I do with their information. (I don't share it, and passwords are stored as well salted hashes)

Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 02, 2010, 05:15:02 AM »

That's a good idea! I think it'd be smart to worry about legal trouble though, it tends to come hand and hand with success. Especially if you're planning on starting a new business, nothing beats a good lawyer.

PS: Lawl you edited out "Dear Notch" from the quote you must really not like that deal.
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 02, 2010, 10:36:05 AM »

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm almost certainly going to hire a business person soon, and I'll ask him/her to help me sort that bit out.

And I don't even remember editing that part out! :-O
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 02, 2010, 11:00:25 AM »

Just stumbled on this- it's supposed to be a list of upcoming features Notch has announced at Minecraftcon.

I don't know how reliable it is (Notch will be able to confirm I guess :D ) but if it is true, it is going to be awesome.

Can't wait to see sea monsters and whales from my underwater glass city  Kiss

Also, congrats on the 100k, Notch!  Smiley

PS: This is crack.
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #738 on: September 02, 2010, 11:26:59 AM »

I think that you should be able to mine clouds. With some special tool of course.

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 02, 2010, 11:38:03 AM »

I would be neat to have the flowers used as a way to dye cloth blocks, or some sort of alchemy would be cool too.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic