Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:05:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1316456 times)
increpare
« Reply #780 on: September 12, 2010, 04:56:49 AM »

Damnit.  Spent all yesterday playing, along with my housemates.  Uninstalling.  It's cool how it's getting along, though : )
gunmaggot
« Reply #781 on: September 12, 2010, 08:25:34 PM »

For some reason Notch's dev blog gives me a virus warning in AVir.

Also, I still can't get it to run off the *.exe.  Is this a known issue and is there a fix?

Idea (maybe has been suggested?):  rock could make a hollow sound when you're mining it if it's only one block thick, so you can tell when you're about to punch through into a cave.  Probably wouldn't effect gameplay too much, though I guess it would make mining straight down less dangerous/exciting.

Also, I'd like to see some monsters that turn to stone in sunlight (like trolls, I guess)!
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 13, 2010, 12:14:47 AM »

Dude I just linked two alternatives.

Ah yeah, good point. For some reason i had the impression bmt micro wasn't available in many countries, but it seems it is.
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 13, 2010, 07:38:04 AM »

Seems paypal has unlocked his account which is good, but are holding 5% "reserve" or something for 90 days. All in all good news.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 13, 2010, 10:15:15 AM »

I would like to see an option to choose world generation perimeters, like hillyness and water level (lots of islands),

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 13, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »

I would like to see an option to choose world generation perimeters, like hillyness and water level (lots of islands),

Apparently thats supposed to be in when the games done
I thought you could already do that in InDev mode? o__o
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 15, 2010, 11:59:20 PM »

It seems one of the penny arcade folks has fallen into the trap of playing minecraft!

http://twitter.com/cwgabriel/status/24642572687

hehe. If they go on to make a news post about it, or even a comic, then i imagine notch will see another surge of sales. Amazing how well word of mouth is working for this game :D
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 16, 2010, 10:12:41 AM »

Oh and rock paper shotgun is doing a let's play in screenshot form thats well worth a read. I love watching or reading about people's first forays into this insane world.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/mine-the-gap/

Right. Off to experiment with building a tree house.
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #788 on: September 17, 2010, 07:45:14 PM »

I'm excited for the crouching that's about to be implemented, because then I wouldn't have to mine the ceiling if I'm looking through a low cave!

Also, I've seemed to notice that with each new blog post, more and more people sit around and make comments that boil down to "why isn't this Half Life, and why isn't this being updated once per hour with perfect, flawless features?"  Apparently, they don't understand the work that goes into such a thing.

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
gunmaggot
« Reply #789 on: September 17, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »

Combining crouch with don't-fall-off-cliffs-like-an-idiot is a grrrrrreat decision.
Renton
« Reply #790 on: September 17, 2010, 11:13:42 PM »

Penny Arcade is doing a Minecraft comic. Notch, here come your new batch thousand dollar bills.

Also, am I the only one who thinks being able to put a torch on the boat would be great?
Ashkin
« Reply #791 on: September 17, 2010, 11:19:14 PM »

Yes, it would be good... So would putting one on a minecart, but Notch hasn't coded movable light sources, so the first step would be a torch you could hold in your hand, which would be handy in itself. A lantern would be good.
gunmaggot
« Reply #792 on: September 18, 2010, 12:40:36 AM »

Penny Arcade is doing a Minecraft comic. Notch, here come your new batch thousand dollar bills.

Also, am I the only one who thinks being able to put a torch on the boat would be great?

That would be fantastic.  Would be great in mp to see people out in little boats at night with a little torch burning away.  I'd love to be able to make a directed beam like a spotlight too.  People would make amazing lighthouses with it.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 18, 2010, 08:38:58 AM »

boats for magma would be neato cool too

and a dumb-waiter like thing or at least some sort of elevator pulley system type thingy

hell implementing the ability to make rope would open a world possibility

like ziplines

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 18, 2010, 09:15:11 AM »

"why isn't this Half Life, ...
What

If it was, we'd have to worry about headcrabs spawning on our roofs. Who, Me?
DON'T GIVE THE MAN IDEAS
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: September 18, 2010, 10:08:54 AM »

boats for magma would be neato cool too

Please, think what you're suggesting... just think for a moment. You, magma-resistant boat and heat source below.

Two words: frying pan.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »

ohh cooking chickens alive would be cool too

Ashkin
« Reply #797 on: September 18, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »

Sneaking is in now: Makes you quieter, move slower, not fall off ledges, etc. I think the hotkey is shift.
Notch had planned biomes again, but unfortunately it was too much work... Again. *sigh*
Nix
« Reply #798 on: September 18, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »

The updater is cool (I haven't had an update since I got it, so this is new for me), but 0.03KB/sec? Really? That's alright. I can wait. I'm looking forward to this sneaking thing.
Also a compass suggestion: As it stands the compass isn't terribly useful. It's good if you want to find spawn, but what if you want to find other stuff? A NSEW compass would be nice. Maybe w/ wood instead of iron or something. Then you can say stuff like: Go NE from spawn to find the settlement.
bvanevery
« Reply #799 on: September 18, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »

So, there is no free demo of Minecraft Alpha?  I tried Minecraft Classic, which to me is a technology test, not a game.  There weren't many instructions for that either.  I googled around and found out about Minecraft Classic Survival mode, but I couldn't actually load a website for that.  I'd say your phaseout of Classic is working.  Do you plan to offer a demo of Alpha?  Possibly I am a minority breed of gamer: I won't play games that don't have demos.  I rarely violate this policy.  Generally it only happens if a game sells 4+ million copies and becomes the talk of the industry.   At that point I may buy a used copy several years after the fact, to see what all the fuss was about, and so I can communicate with game designers.  Examples: Diablo II, Black & White.  Well judging by your PayPal incident I guess you're not worried about providing free stuff right now, but I thought I'd mention this.  Some people will not buy on reputation, as there are too many bad games out there.

Is it typical around here for authors to ask for feedback for games they have to buy?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic