Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:56:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSo what are you working on?
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 623
Print
Author Topic: So what are you working on?  (Read 2304771 times)
capnbubs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: May 02, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »

This is absolutely mesmerizing!  Question though; What benefit are you getting from coding this in Unity?  It wouldn't exactly be my first choice for a pixel 2D side scroller.  Are you even using the scene view for anything?

Well, for a start it's the only development tool I have a large amount of experience with.

I really like the way objects, scripts and prefabs work in Unity. I don't have a lot of experience in other programs to compare it but building the level in the scene view and setting up all the scripts and connections is very easy.

Here's a link to the webplayer if anybody would like to have a little run around in my test level.

WebPlayer
blinkok
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: May 02, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »

Here's a link to the webplayer if anybody would like to have a little run around in my test level
brilliant! i luv the contextual sounds. you must have quite a few frames in your animation sheet for that dude, (i think) i see a lot of subtle animation there

My 2D Stuff twitter: @blinkok
capnbubs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: May 02, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »

Here's a link to the webplayer if anybody would like to have a little run around in my test level
brilliant! i luv the contextual sounds. you must have quite a few frames in your animation sheet for that dude, (i think) i see a lot of subtle animation there

Quite a few but it's not too bad, I try to reuse frames as much as possible.

56 frames so far, that includes both directions since he isn't mirrored.
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10583 on: May 02, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »

You place the tiles from within unity's scene editor?

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10584 on: May 02, 2013, 10:45:29 PM »

Well, for a start it's the only development tool I have a large amount of experience with.

I really like the way objects, scripts and prefabs work in Unity. I don't have a lot of experience in other programs to compare it but building the level in the scene view and setting up all the scripts and connections is very easy.

Here's a link to the webplayer if anybody would like to have a little run around in my test level.

WebPlayer

It's really smooth and slick! Ace artwork, seriously!

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: May 02, 2013, 10:45:44 PM »

Looks nice, but I think it could be improved by making his upper body more static. Probably just stop the tail's motion at his hips, having them sway side to side, with the rest staying still, if get my meaning.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10586 on: May 02, 2013, 11:18:40 PM »

[rad]
snap son this is fly as hell.

capnbubs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: May 03, 2013, 02:11:06 AM »

Yes I'm using an extension called the 2D Toolkit that includes a tilemap editor.
Ashkin
« Reply #10588 on: May 03, 2013, 02:14:32 AM »

capnbubs: So incredibly rad
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10589 on: May 03, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »

Yes I'm using an extension called the 2D Toolkit that includes a tilemap editor.

Oh thats neat.  Apparently they also support Tiled Map Editor format too.... this is convincing me to jump on board to Unity for platformers

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10590 on: May 03, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »

There really is no reason at all to not use Unity for any game type. Its wonderful.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10591 on: May 03, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »

There really is no reason at all to not use Unity for any game type.

I wouldn't go quite that far. There are limitations to every system. In the case of Unity, you will occasionally run into a particular mechanic that requires one of Unity's professional features. (and thus a full paid-for license) It doesn't happen that often, but I have run into it.

Its wonderful.

Now this I can agree with. I only started using Unity last year, but I have enjoyed the experience immensely and have gotten a lot done while working with it.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10592 on: May 03, 2013, 02:03:28 PM »

There really is no reason at all to not use Unity for any game type.

I wouldn't go quite that far. There are limitations to every system. In the case of Unity, you will occasionally run into a particular mechanic that requires one of Unity's professional features. (and thus a full paid-for license) It doesn't happen that often, but I have run into it.

Its wonderful.

Now this I can agree with. I only started using Unity last year, but I have enjoyed the experience immensely and have gotten a lot done while working with it.

I agree with Richard. As he mentioned, there's limitations to every system. I would guess that Unity should be able to do any game type well, but some might be better in other engines, or even with just pure code and no pre-made framework or engine.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #10593 on: May 03, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »

smoking is awesome. all the cool kids do it

http://imgur.com/a/Sqqui

a system shock2/solaris inspired game
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10594 on: May 04, 2013, 05:49:40 AM »

Fucking yeenius.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10595 on: May 04, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »

Planning some updates for ye olde XOP .. yeah, can't get enough of that shit.  I want to add a "No borders, no scrolling" mode where the game area fills the entire 4:3 game space and the borders are removed.  Also want to add a different scanline option where it adds the smoothing effect, but not the scanline effect.  And the ability to save/load extra menu settings.

In addition to that, who's ready for some game design documents .. Crazy

Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #10596 on: May 04, 2013, 11:10:20 AM »

Made a bitmap font for our game:

At the moment, it's just some ugly programmer art placeholder font.
You can use it if you want, I don't really care...

In addition to that, who's ready for some game design documents .. Crazy

Hehe, I also have a load of txt design docs lying in my project folder.
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: May 04, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »

My game I've been working on for the past week or so. I drew most of the art in a mockup months ago. I'm creating it in the Unity engine using a fantastic plugin called 2D Toolkit.

I'm done with coding the movement for now, next on the list are some creatures.

bubs, you're giving me Super Nintendo nostalgia... <3

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10598 on: May 04, 2013, 06:27:18 PM »

The resolution and effects there would require at least a Playstation 1 .. sorry to burst your nostalgia bubble D:
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: May 04, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »

The resolution and effects there would require at least a Playstation 1 .. sorry to burst your nostalgia bubble D:

You monster!  Cry
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 623
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic