Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:45:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 422243 times)
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2009, 07:31:35 AM »

Throwing this in indie games to help support a fellow indie developer in Mobigame. A few weeks ago, Mobigame's game Edge was pulled from the App Store for unknown reasons. Well, now we know why. It looks like one Tim Langdell believes he owns a monopoly on the word EDGE and is doing his best to be a dick.

http://fingergaming.com/2009/05/28/update-edge-pulled-over-alledged-trademark-infringement/
Langdell, CEO of EDGE Games, GDC 2009 speaker and Lead Game Faculty at National University, contacted Mobigame and Apple in April asking that the game be pulled. Langdell claims his company owns the worldwide “trademark” EDGE. Despite this, the game remains up in other territories.

This is not the first time. Simon Carless wrote a pretty scathing article on Tim Langdell and his trademark on the word EDGE before it got pulled for unknown reasons. Luckily the article's been copied and posted in other places.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16044280&postcount=5953
It looks like trademark suits based around the word 'EDGE' and anything game-related are still occurring, too, too - here's one from March 2009 against Cybernet, who are making an obscure, long-dormant game called Edge of Extinction.

According to the suit, brought by Cybernet, Langdell started writing to them in January 2009, demanding that the 'Edge Of Extinction' trademark be assigned to him for free and that a license agreement be signed with Edge Games. When Cybernet refused, and asked for money for the domain transfer, Langdell said to "expect... [a] Federal Law Suit", so Cybernet sued Langdell and Edge. The case appears to be ongoing.

And there's some evidence, via a Virginia-based website's PDF, of a series of similar discussions with computer manufacturer Velocity for their 'Velocity Edge' gaming PCs. In this particular document, which is based around a suit by Velocity, the Court finds Edge Interactive liable for several falsehoods related to the suit, including untrue claims that Langdell had resigned from the company and could not receive the countersuit.

Overall, the Virginia District Court found a "deliberate strategy [on the part of Edge Interactive] to obfuscate and mislead this Court in order to delay the Court's determination of default." (However, the companies settled confidentially in December 2008 and Langdell now lists 'EDGE game PCs (made by Velocity Micro)' as an 'EDGE branded venture' that he has 'spawned'.)

[snip snip...]

But now we're seeing great indie developers like Edge creator Mobigame hobbled because Langdell is aggressively enforcing his trademark based purely on a four letter name - rather than a particular style of game or character similarities, if that is even a more justifiable reason to do so. I think that's a major shame and, at least from my personal point of view, a morally repugnant thing to do.

Even if Tim Langdell and Mobigame somehow come to an agreement to get Edge back on the App Store, I hope this story can spread far enough so the negative publicity for these EDGE legal cases becomes an issue for one Mr. Tim Langdell. Note how Tim Langdell for the most part has had nothing to do with the vast majority of projected with the name EDGE in them. He's a vulture. He swoops in for his licensing fee and bullies around people who can't afford fancy lawyers.

The story just broke last night so hopefully more details will be forthcoming.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:07:58 PM by Melly » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »

I love big corporation dickheads.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:43:20 AM »

Tim Langdell had three GDC 09 talks. I didn't go to them, so I can't comment on their content aside from pointing out the titles:

Who Controls a Game's IP and Who Reaps the Financial Benefit?

How to Design Your Game So That its IP is More Valuable to Hollywood

How to Sell Your IP to Hollywood (Without Selling Your Soul)
Durr...?
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:26:33 PM »

Seems like a cunt to me.

Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left

ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 01:26:47 PM »

Is he CEO of this Edge games?  The same company that makes a direct reference to Mirror's Edge to promote their own game?

Anyone who thinks they can "own" a trademark on a single, commonly used word across an entire industry is

A) Misguided about the nature of trademarks and IP,

and

B) A twat.

The reason companies like Google and Hulu choose wacky names isn't just brand identification - it's much easier to defend a trademark claim when you have a unique name that's difficult to use in any other context than your company's trademarks.  To assume the word "Edge" is owned entirely by one company for this industry is pompous, to bully smaller developers away from simply using the word is frustratingly self-serving, and to do it while making veiled references to Mirror's Edge in your branding is just hypocritical.

I also don't understand how the "Edge" brand is apparently related to the magazine of the same name.  Edge Magazine has a huge web presence, but the website for this company looks like it was made in 1996.

Edit:

Who dares me to make a basic Pong game this weekend called "Edge of Edge of Edge: The Tim Langdell Story"?  We could start a pool to see how long until I get sued!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:04:04 PM by Derek » Logged
AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 01:38:29 PM »

Who dares me to make a basic Pong game this weekend called "Edge of Edge of Edge: The Tim Langdell Story"?  We could start a pool to see how long until I get sued!

I want to see this!  Now!
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 03:36:18 PM »

I've heard that this case will act as groundwork so that Tim Langdell can eventually work his way up to suing the alphabet for housing the letters "E", "D" and "G". I'd link to a source for this claim but (all of my) sources are confidential so you'll just have to take my word for it.
pgil
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 03:48:03 PM »

That guy's website is hillariously pathetic. I love the masturbatory ads. And this gem from the front page:

MIRRORS
a new game from
EDGE
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 03:52:14 PM »

He also makes cutting EDGE websites: http://www.the--edge.com/

Yes, that's also him.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »

check out this part of that: http://www.the--edge.com/design.htm

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »

Please do.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »

His use of inner bevel is astonishing.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 04:07:12 PM »

That guy's website is hillariously pathetic. I love the masturbatory ads. And this gem from the front page:

MIRRORS
a new game from
EDGE

Jeez, I actually thought the game was called "Mirrors Edge."  It's just called Mirrors.  He's intentionally creating confusion in order to prepare to sue EA.  Wow.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 04:10:12 PM »

Wait.. wouldn't EA be the one suing HIM if he releases this after they've released Mirror's Edge??

The world of casual suing is such a dark and confusing place.   Shocked

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »

I have no idea.  My guess will be that the lawsuit is over the word "Edge" and not the game Mirrors, specifically.  But I'm sure he'll use Mirrors as an example of how his brand is being infringed.  Shrug

Dude must Google search the word "edge" like 50 million times a day.

EDIT: His site says that Mirrors has been in development for 5 years.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:42:14 PM by Derek » Logged
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 04:56:36 PM »

EDIT: His site says that Mirrors has been in development for 5 years.

I think that might actually be about the game "Mythora."

Either way, this guy's scum.
Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 05:44:05 PM »

i am the edge. star guitarist or whatever.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »

Edge has the answers... now, what is the question?
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 06:07:02 PM »

Edge has the answers... now, what is the question?

oo oo I know this one!

What is douchery?
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »

This is actually... happening? Screamy

Real life is disturbing.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 112
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic